cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DebS43
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: I need to call Ireland, this is ridiculous!!

If I install Fongo to use while in transit and then put a local SIM into my spare phone when I arrive in Dublin I think I should be covered. My spare phone doesn't have a SIM in it at all. It strictly operates on Wifi. You mentioned call forwarding from my PM number, so can I retrieve calls from my Fongo number or would I call PM voicemail to get them?

anthoni
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You can forward your calls to Fongo or any voice service that can receive voice calls. Instruction on how to forward your voice will depend on your phone model and version. Google can help with this. Please note this will not work with SMS/Texting.
darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DebS43 

If you call forward your pm number to fongo then you only need to access your fongo voicemail for all voice messages.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious wrote:

@DebS43 

If you call forward your pm number to fongo then you only need to access your fongo voicemail for all voice messages.

Also, if your Public Mobile phone is forwarded to Fongo, you should be able to configure fongo to EMAIL you the voicemails, so you dont need to call in to access them at all - they will just come into your email with the sound file attachments you can download over local data / wifi and listen from there.

Technically, If you don't forward your public mobile number to Fongo, calls will go immediately to Public Mobile voicemail. You can still use Fongo to call your PM number to access voicemail, or one of the many Public Mobile voicemail access numbers directly as well, but this is of course less convenient than the voicemails being emailed to you by Fongo. 🙂

Another solid wifi calling app popular on these forums is TextNow. Also gives you a separate Canadian number like Fongo. Free voicemail, texting etc over WiFi It even has free calling to the US, UK, and Ireland! (I just confirmed I can call "EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum" using TextNow for free at +353 1 906 0861)

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I successfully called the SEA LIFE Bray Aquarium with no issues. I asked for Mr. C. Lyon😁

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Good afternoon sir, may I know if you are  calling for C Lyon Jr or  C Lyon Sr?

hTideGnow_0-1631634695993.png

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What??? Only a west coaster would get that 😕

DebS43
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the clarification and the alternate app suggestion. In your opinion, which app would be my best bet? Fongo or TextNow? It almost sounds like TextNow might offer a bit more value as far as features go.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@DebS43   I would go with TextNow. 

TextNow allows you to call and text any number in Canada and US.   Voice quality is much better than Fongo.   But the catch is , I think it is quicker to loss the number for inactivity.  Try to keep TextNow login and make a call every week

For Fongo, the only advantage is you can keep the number longer even you don't use it (not sure how long).  But Fongo, you cannot text out without paying.  (receiving text is free, just not sending)

Yummy
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hTideGnow wrote:

@DebS43   I would go with TextNow. 

Definitely TextNow. Calls/SMS in/out are free. Call quality is excellent comparing to Fongo. Get both app and keep number alive calling/SMS at least once per week. The only thing not working for both apps is receiving authentication codes sent by some companies/government. For those you would need real mobile number (and not ported land line).

Alternative is Viber...

Need Help? Let's chat.