cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm thinking of switching cellular providers.

Benjammin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What is the coverage like? (Linked to Bell, Rogers, etc)

Can I keep my original number?

Is there a tri-Sim available? (To allow for switching between 3g and LTE networks)

Does unused mobile data roll over into the next month?

Is there a chat i can go to for more immediate responses?

20 REPLIES 20

crtowns
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Albertaink Welcome! Glad to hear of the savings!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Albertaink what plan did you pick at Public Mobile?  I do hope you realize the data amounts on a 90 day plan are for the whole 90 days, right?  It's not per-month or anyting.  I only bring this up since some people have made this mistake before and were significantly less happy after finding out. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Albertaink
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Was a family plan sharing 10gb with my husband. It was ridiculous. We sometimes needed an add on. Never again. 

srlawren

@Albertaink you're saving over $200 a month?!?!?  What was your plan at Telus??

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JeffH wrote:

I too just switched from Telus and I must say the plan is economically better, faster and the support already seems extremely better. Thank you Public mobile.....where have you been all my life

And welcome to you too! 🙂

koimr1

@Albertaink wrote:

Hi there!

i am brand new to public mobile. I came over from telus. 

This was literally the best move I’ve ever done! 

I am saving over $200/month and have nearly the same plan. I brought my old number with me. I have noticed that my service is also much faster now. 

Dont hesitate to change over! 

Good luck! 😀

Nice! Welcome to PM!!! 🙂

JeffH

I too just switched from Telus and I must say the plan is economically better, faster and the support already seems extremely better. Thank you Public mobile.....where have you been all my life

Albertaink

Hi there!

i am brand new to public mobile. I came over from telus. 

This was literally the best move I’ve ever done! 

I am saving over $200/month and have nearly the same plan. I brought my old number with me. I have noticed that my service is also much faster now. 

Dont hesitate to change over! 

Good luck! 😀

Acekiller

price would be the major motivator for ppl to switch

bsperanz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just created my account and a Bell representative just gave me a call to inquire about porting over my #. He said there would be no issues with it

mimmo

@Benjammin there can be some initial issues but typically once the service is going all goes well.  That being said there are issues sometimes  with auto pay or account changes.  As you are  doing your homework know what issues might occur and how to address them. 

koimr1

@wjaf wrote:

I've been with Public Mobile for about a year. I've had different phones due to hardware failures (nothing to do with Public Mobile). 

The issues involved being unable to log in to my service account, a plan switch not occurring as expected, and receiving text messages in error saying I had not yet paid for my service. There were also some difficulties porting my number in the first place. This is a problem that a lot of people are experiencing, it seems.   

All of these were eventually resolved. 

Currently, I have no cellular service. I'm still waiting for a response hours later. I can't imagine I'd wait hours on hold or in chat if I were with a major provider. 

You're right when you say it's cheaper, though. Especially data. I'm sure many people are happy with this forum being their only point of contact with the company, and believe it to be an acceptable trade-off for the cost savings. If price is your only concern, you may want to make the switch. 

On the flip side, I am in charge of three PM accounts (family) and other than a single activation glitch have had no issues for the better part of a year. Even the activation problem came at a time when there was a promo on and I sent a message in the evening and woke up to everything working the next morning.

I'm not trying to discount your experience; I agree that you shouldn't have these issues at all and I would be frustrated too but just wanted to say that I firmly believe your situation is likely not the norm - if every PM customer always had issues these forums would be inundated with thousands of complaints daily.

koimr1

@Benjammin wrote:

So currently, i can switch between 2g, 3g, and LTE networks. I thought that was because of the tri-sim card (which is one size only, not 3 sizes in one i think).

It's possible my phone is what does that. My old phone and SIM could not, even though i'm in the same plan i've always been in.

This is a function of your phone, if I'm understanding you correctly. Not sure exactly where with IOS but in Android you can set your preferred network type via the phone's Network/Cellular/etc (every manufacturer seems to label it differently) settings.

PM/Telus doesn't use 2G so that's out, and just so you know if you sign up for a PM 3G plan you are actually still on LTE that's been slowed down. Make sense? 🙂

wjaf

I've been with Public Mobile for about a year. I've had different phones due to hardware failures (nothing to do with Public Mobile). 

The issues involved being unable to log in to my service account, a plan switch not occurring as expected, and receiving text messages in error saying I had not yet paid for my service. There were also some difficulties porting my number in the first place. This is a problem that a lot of people are experiencing, it seems.   

All of these were eventually resolved. 

Currently, I have no cellular service. I'm still waiting for a response hours later. I can't imagine I'd wait hours on hold or in chat if I were with a major provider. 

You're right when you say it's cheaper, though. Especially data. I'm sure many people are happy with this forum being their only point of contact with the company, and believe it to be an acceptable trade-off for the cost savings. If price is your only concern, you may want to make the switch. 

Benjammin

So currently, i can switch between 2g, 3g, and LTE networks. I thought that was because of the tri-sim card (which is one size only, not 3 sizes in one i think).

It's possible my phone is what does that. My old phone and SIM could not, even though i'm in the same plan i've always been in.

Benjammin

What are both the problems? Have they been reoccurring? How long have you been with them? What kind of phone do you have?

I'm currently on a 1 gb plan with telus, and i can get 5 or 6 gb with public mobile for the same price. Seems like a big upgrade to me.

wjaf

I would advise against switching unless price is your only concern. Public Mobile is certainly cheaper, but I had two major problems with my service last year and have been waiting about three hours so far for a response from the mod team about my total lack of cell service. There is no one I can call or contact in real time, and I'm stuck waiting (maybe as long as 48 hours) for a response.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Just to clarify, tri-SIM has to do with physical size of the SIM card.  That has nothing to do with LTE or 3G data.  This is determined by the plan that is purchased.  There are plans with 3G data and plans with LTE data.  Actually, both are LTE but 3G data has the speed throttled to 2.5 Mbits/s. 

Everything is the same, you can keep them. Except the support method is only using forum here.  If your situation ok with it.  Switch.

KMG

1. Coverage is Telus network, so excellent.

2. Yes, you can port your number over.

3. Do you mean triple-punch SIMs?  This is what Public Mobile uses.

4.  Unused data does not roll over.  However, you can sign up for 90-day cycles, where you are given a data allowance that renews every 90 days rather than every month.  Not exactly rolling over, but it does allow for using more data in some months and less in others if you need to.

5.  There is no chat, but there is this community for assistance.  Otherwise, you contact the Moderator team and await a response (usually within a few hours).

Need Help? Let's chat.