cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm on a data plan .. so why can i buy talk mins if I can't use them ?

scott1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

54 REPLIES 54

If you read everything like I did when I joined, you’d realize a data only plan is just data.

It also say talk Addams do not work without a talk plan.  Research before you buy.  Be a smart consumer.

Ive had no issues in 3 years, because I research and understand what’s going on.

scott1

And did I say you are getting scammed ?.

I am .. here I am can't even use my god dam phone without lossing a bunch of data .. can't even buy minutes.. wtf is that ?.. can't even buy mins on my phone loooool ! Like come on ?! I'd like to say a lot more about this but it's only going to be swears so ya ... 

scott1

Didn't make it to the mall today.. maybe tomorrow .. but ya .. dealing without service people .. not my sort of thing .. texting moderators and not getting a answer.. pfft ya .. nothing is solved yet .. not my cup of tea. 

scott1

Well .. I called 611 and I got pm services .. but as for calling myself with someone else's phone .. im back in the middle of no where again .. Lol alone for now so I'll have to try try that maybe tomorrow or the next day when I get a visitor ..or go to town ..

@stonechucker my my  now Smiley LOL

@scott1 wrote:

Lol .. I need 8 gigs min per month .. I got the 8 gig data plan because it was the only thing close to what I needed .. key words are 

Close to what I needed 

"Close" .. "need"

Ya ...

Funny .. all this talkie talkie .. but the mediators havnt text me back from yesterday .. guess I'll fix it myself .. going to the koodo store .final say . pm scam  

So, you’re saying I’m being scammed 3 years now?  Get lost buddy.  You don’t need to stay if you don’t want to.  Heck go to Telus for the unlimited data at $75.

scott1

Lol .. I need 8 gigs min per month .. I got the 8 gig data plan because it was the only thing close to what I needed .. key words are 

Close to what I needed 

"Close" .. "need"

Ya ...

Funny .. all this talkie talkie .. but the mediators havnt text me back from yesterday .. guess I'll fix it myself .. going to the koodo store .final say . pm scam  

@scott1, I have merged your two threads together as they are dealing with the same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@scott1 wrote:

I get a message on my phone saying I need phone mins to get a call.. same with text

Not sure who you're replying to but I'd be interested to know these things for curiosity sake.

On your handset with the data only plan

1 - call 611 - do you get to the 611 service?

2 - call your number from a different phone - what do you hear and does anything happen on the handset? What happens if you let it ring for a while?

3 - call that different phone - does it just say you don't have a plan or long distance or something?

scott1

I already sent a message to them last night .. no response yet .. I just want it resolved before I solve it myself when I get into the city today .. 

scott1

I get a message on my phone saying I need phone mins to get a call.. same with text

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@geopublic @No ide

Y'alright there mimmo? 🙂 Did you fall off your chair? Do we need to call an ambulance? Tap Reply and Post to say yes.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic @No ide

@geopublic, yes, a phone number is just a phone number.  No difference between a talk or data plan.

@mimmo wrote:

@geopublic my answer was p

Based on public mobile.  No idea if fido will let you convert a voice plan I to a tablet plan. 

@mimmo  Noted, but if I signed up with another provider that allows porting, I could port out the number associated with my PM data-only plan, correct?

@scott1, you don't say specifically which 8.5 GB plan you're on, as the talk and text may differ.  I'm assuming it's the 30-day ready-made plan as it is currently the only such plan including Canada Wide & US calling (from Canada).

There are 6 build your own plans you could have switched to for a similar overall cost (if not the same) with 30- or 90-day periods, and any selection of the calling plans with the International SMS and MMS.

Any of these 6 plans would have renewed immediately with a full top-up.  The 90-day plans are all currently $150 prepay for 90-days, data is applied for the full 90-days until used.  The 30-day plans range from $50-$55 depending on talk plan selected.

@scott1 wrote:

I was on a 8.5 gig with talk and text ..  ran out of gigs so I tryed to renew my plan .. had enough money .. didnt work twice so i had to get a diffrent plan .. only one good enough is data only for the amount of gigs i need .. so i bought add on talk .. but you cant use add on talk if you dont have it on your plan .. scam .. took my money .. i cant use it ... scam scam scam .. fix your glitches  public mobile.. yes pleural as In I just found many glitches in your system .. non refundable pfft scam

Is this really a scam or just bad planning on your part?

You bought a 8.5 GB data plan. Now you need more data. You can renew right away with any of the other available plans or you'll have to wait for Moderators to help you renew with the same plan again.

Why would you opt for the 1 GB data-only plan? And then attempt to add a text/talk option to that?

There are people who will go into a car dealer to get a new car. They go with the lowest payment option, and then 3 years later they are left wondering why the dealer is taking back the car and charging them thousands of dollars for extra kilometers and excessive damage to the car.

You just signed-up for a Korean import when what you're really expecting is Aston Martin or Bentley.
Do a little research beforehand, you will be a lot happier.

mimmo

@geopublic my answer was p

Based on public mobile.  No idea if fido will let you convert a voice plan I to a tablet plan. 

@mimmo wrote:

@geopublic  why would you wnat to do that as the cheapest data only plan costs $30 for 500 mb while the cheapest current plan is only $10 ($15 tomorrow).  

but yes you could do that.  

@mimmo@stonechucker  Just wanted to know if it was possible. Smiley Happy There are other providers that offer affordable data-only plans so this could be an option if I would also wanted to park one of my numbers.  Thanks!!

mimmo

@geopublic  why would you wnat to do that as the cheapest data only plan costs $30 for 500 mb while the cheapest current plan is only $10 ($15 tomorrow).  

but yes you could do that.  

Yes, but not PM to PM.  You must port to a different carrier if you wish to do that, or find a phone number parking service if you don't want a plan at all, but wish to keep your phone number.

@stonechucker  So theoretically I can start with a talk plan port my number over switch to a data only plan an in essence park my number until I decide to switch to a talk plan again?

All SIMs are assigned a phone number, all carriers, worldwide.  Phone plan or not, the sim is assigned a phone number.

@stonechucker wrote:

@geopublic, calling that phone number will most likely say number not in service - as there's no talk on the plan, no talk service available in or out.

A data-only plan at Public Mobile is just that - data only.

Freedom has something like a data-only plan, with pay-per-use talk and SMS.  Maybe this would be better for our friend @scott1.

@stonechucker So if it's a data only plan why does there need to be a phone number? Do you know if that is a unique number per account or a generic number? Maybe the @CS_Agent can provide some insight.

@geopublic, calling that phone number will most likely say number not in service - as there's no talk on the plan, no talk service available in or out.

A data-only plan at Public Mobile is just that - data only.

Freedom has something like a data-only plan, with pay-per-use talk and SMS.  Maybe this would be better for our friend @scott1.

@scott1 your account has a phone number whether you have a talk plan or not.  That's the way it works.  If you haven't already sent a message to the Moderator_Team (use the envelope in the top right corner of this page), then do so, and ask them to assist you in changing your plan to get talk (and SMS?) back into your plan.

It's unfortunate that you got into this situation, and yes, Public Mobile is aware of this stupid inconvenience, but this can be resolved.

Renewing a plan early is not yet a self-server option, but again can be done via the Moderator_Team via private message (see above).  Stop planing your victim card, and use the advice you're getting from other users to get your plan up and running.  We are here to assist you, but if you don't take our help, we can't assist.

@scott1 wrote:

Ohh .. and yes there is a phone number at the top of the  screen

@scott1 What happens when you call that number from another phone?

scott1

The thing is I would just like to perchance my original plan.. if i run out of data .. buy the whole plan again .. it will reset my date of payment ya .. but data at 1gig for 30 bucks .. pfft mehh .. that's 7/11 prices .. I'm going to use that up in 2 days if I'm hard at fb without Wi-Fi .. lol .... most of my jobs have Wi-Fi.. but some don't.. and I'm cheap .. phones and text are cheap now a days.. but data.. that's the expense of the phone 

scott1

Lol .. I will use that for my chapped *censored* ... 😂

Edited by stonechucker to remove the inapproriate language.

scott1

On koodo if I have money in the account or credit with them as In within there alawable amount to borrow from them I can call or text with or without a text or call feature.. it just cost money .. but ya I could add talk and text that would make it cheaper to do so as well 

Need Help? Let's chat.