cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 'no data' plan, but am worried about accidental data usage

dlb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I just signed up with Public Mobile and am unfamiliar with some details of how things work here.

I want to make sure that, with a 'no data' plan on my flip phone, I cannot accidentally access the internet and get charged for data usage. I had this happen a handful of times on Koodo and it was really annoying. I eventually had them add a 'data block' feature to my plan (at no charge) to prevent it from happening.

Does anyone here have experience with data usage even if they have a 'no data' plan?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dankaroo wrote:

Normally this is left under the control of the user and their device. In the case of an android for example by navigating to Settings-Sim and Network. There is a mobile data slider and as long as it's switched to off my device won't use data. Wifi and other cellular services are still enabled. I do not know if pm has a service solution for you but you can check with a mod here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage

@Dankaroo no need to do any of that.  PM has absolutely no pay-per-use services.  If you haven't paid for mobile data up front, you simply won't get any, whether or not that switch is on.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

@Dankaroo, welcome to the community - it seems you're a new user, that's great!

Public Mobile's service is strictly Pre-paid.  No overages, no unwanted charges that you're not expecting.  Data can be left on without worry, if there is no data in the package, as it is required for MMS, but MMS data is zero-rated (free).

Thanks for the warm welcome, and yes I gathered as much from all the responses.

I just figured op would benefit from device knowledge, since who knows how long they will stay on their plan. This MMS info is interesting I have never been a fan of using MMS due to inconsistencies. Sometimes it would never go through. Other times it's drastically late. I take it you both use this feature and haven't seen any such issues with it? 

If so I may start using it again.

@Dankaroo, welcome to the community - it seems you're a new user, that's great!

Public Mobile's service is strictly Pre-paid.  No overages, no unwanted charges that you're not expecting.  Data can be left on without worry, if there is no data in the package, as it is required for MMS, but MMS data is zero-rated (free).

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@dlb wrote:

Hi, I just signed up with Public Mobile and am unfamiliar with some details of how things work here.

I want to make sure that, with a 'no data' plan on my flip phone, I cannot accidentally access the internet and get charged for data usage. I had this happen a handful of times on Koodo and it was really annoying. I eventually had them add a 'data block' feature to my plan (at no charge) to prevent it from happening.

Does anyone here have experience with data usage even if they have a 'no data' plan?

Thanks.

Without having data as part of your plan or a data addon THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN ACCESS CELLULAR DATA.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Normally this is left under the control of the user and their device. In the case of an android for example by navigating to Settings-Sim and Network. There is a mobile data slider and as long as it's switched to off my device won't use data. Wifi and other cellular services are still enabled. I do not know if pm has a service solution for you but you can check with a mod here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

There are no extra charges. If you do not have a data plan you can not be charged for data not can you use data.  

Reccomend  keeping data on for mms sending and receiving but again there is no charge 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dlb wrote:

Thanks.

This is a purely pre-pay service. If you don't pay for it, you don't get it. No extra charges after the fact.

Need Help? Let's chat.