cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have $15 plan what I need to to add be able to call to Slovakia?

1vk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

23 REPLIES 23

US toll free number depends on whether the account holder allows Canadian callers to be charged to their account.. it is not indicated on the number unless you try. Larger companies most likely yes, companies that explicitly say US toll free number, or small business most likely no.

@Anonymous wrote:

@1vk wrote:

Did anyone tried how it works?

How about trying it yourself and report back with your findings. We'd all be interested. I don't think it'll take any minutes but it might. iirc I tried out a newer toll-free like 844 and it did take minutes. Or sure maybe in-network works and that one wasn't.

Take note of your minutes used in your overview page, call the "toll-free", stay on for 30 seconds, refresh the overview page and see if it incremented.

Only tangentially relevant to the discussion, but here it goes: I have a supplier located in Minnesota. Calling their 1-866 number does not deduct minutes from my $15 international LD add-on, so the system doesn't recognize this number as a US number. Unfortunately I can't comment on the use of metered air time minutes, since I'm on the $25 plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@1vk wrote:

How about trying it yourself and report back with your findings. We'd all be interested. I don't think it'll take any minutes but it might. iirc I tried out a newer toll-free like 844 and it did take minutes. Or sure maybe in-network works and that one wasn't.

Take note of your minutes used in your overview page, call the "toll-free", stay on for 30 seconds, refresh the overview page and see if it incremented.

1vk

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I believe calling from Canada to the US on a toll-free number is considered a LD call and will use your minutes.

1vk

I called toll free number in Canada and I was not charged minutes does anyone know how it works if you call toll free fom Canada to the US ?

1vk

I called toll free number in Canada and I was not charged minutes does anyone know how it works if you call toll free fom Canada to the US ?

1vk

Thanks. I had impression that PB would have the same option through add ons.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

As an alternative, you could use Wi-Fi apps like Skype, textnow, or Fongo.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@1vk I think if you want Slovakia as LD .. the only low cost flanker brand that offers it is Chatr @ 0.01cent with the long distance saver. $0.01/min to landline phone numbers $0.09/min to mobile phone numbers

1vk

Thanks, not exactly what I would like, but presently the best option.

@chukdefateyI was on my parents phone with CRA 1800 for over 90 minutes on their $15/month plan.. nope didn't burn a minute. I was surprised and bought the $5 500 minutes add on just in case.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

Orginal Poster is on a Plan with only 100 minutes so I highly recommend not to use your Public Mobile phone with 3rd Party calling cards or any other indirect Long Distance Providers unless of course your usage is very limited.

Also just for your information make sure you are on the new $15 Plan with Unlimited incoming calling. There were two versions of that plan one with Unlimited incoming and one without it. 

From my testing and observation with the $10 plan, calling toll free numbers don't consume minutes. I would suspect that the $15 plan would be the same.

It might be that more recent toll frees like say 844 (not verified) might consume minutes.

WOW Really? If that is the case that would be first for a Canadian Cell Carrier. Normally toll free numbers have no long distance charges but air time minutes still apply. Like I said if this is true that would be a First.

FYI: Sometimes these toll free numbers are AIRTIME Exempt but its only within the Network. Example: Calling a Toll Free Number of your Service Provider within there own network is Free, Say you called a Telus Landline, Telus Mobility, Koodo or Public Mobile Number from your Telus Mobility, Koodo & Public Mobile Phone with a limited minutes plan. So are you sure that wasn't the case in your situation? 

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

PM does not support calling to Slovakia.

Recommendation: I've had good success with pre-paid PC Calling Cards (Bell) [other brands (less expensive) have too much bandwidth slicing, resulting in not a clear call].  For Slovakia it's $0.053; you can find out more here (link).

Remember: With calling cards; you're burning both PM & Calling Card minutes.

chukdefatey

@geopublic wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

Orginal Poster is on a Plan with only 100 minutes so I highly recommend not to use your Public Mobile phone with 3rd Party calling cards or any other indirect Long Distance Providers unless of course your usage is very limited.

Also just for your information make sure you are on the new $15 Plan with Unlimited incoming calling. There were two versions of that plan one with Unlimited incoming and one without it. 

@chukdefatey Hangouts Dialer does not use minutes. If the OP has WiFi access that is all that is needed to make the call.

I didn't say anything about the Hangout Dialer. I was referring to 100 Regular phone minutes. 

@chukdefatey wrote:

@chukdefatey Hangouts Dialer does not use minutes. If the OP has WiFi access that is all that is needed to make the call.

1vk

I am with new $ 15 plan

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chukdefatey wrote:

From my testing and observation with the $10 plan, calling toll free numbers don't consume minutes. I would suspect that the $15 plan would be the same.

It might be that more recent toll frees like say 844 (not verified) might consume minutes.

chukdefatey

@1vk Have look at https://www.cicimobile.com/index.aspx. I've used their service in the past;  found it reliable and convenient.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@1vk  install Google Hangouts Dialer add a payment option and you should be able to call Slovakia.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@1vkYou will need 3rd party calling PM mobile only supports 18 countries: Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@1vk 

hi sorry slovakia is not on the long distance list for PM

Need Help? Let's chat.