cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't have nationwide plan, will my data work outside home province?

erotavlas
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have the 12 GB plan with unlimited talk and text for Ontario calling only, not nationwide. And my home number is in Toronto. Does my data work if I travel to Quebec? I know if I want to make voice calls while in Quebec I need to buy the long distance add on. But how does data work when outside of your home province?

11 REPLIES 11

Simon4s
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

your prolly right. everyone at the conference came from toronto 

@Luddite, don't ask me to search again, it took 30 minutes to find it. LOL

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

DATA = CANADA-WIDE

TEXT = CANADA-WIDE

CALLS = TO AREA CODES OF THE PROVINCE YOUR CURRENTLY IN (not sure why @Simon4s example of montreal to montreal didnt work - unless the person in montreal still had an ontario number - i.e husband wife live in ON travel to QC and wife tries to call husband to say bring the car around im done shopping - that would not be included).

If your outside your home province and dont have a long distance add on but want to call another province as a tip you can always use

google hangouts - free calls to any north american number using data

whatsapp - free calls to other whatsapp members, calls to other numbers is paid i believe

Thanks @stonechucker; I did not know SMS was Canada wide when one has a provincial calling plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Just a follow up, as it wasn't mentioned.... When "standing in" a province outside your home province, you can call in that province, but not receive calls.  To receive any call (in province, or from home province) you need an LD addon (which I think you've decided to purchase anyway).

Another note, as I've just forgotten it myself (had to search to confirm), texting from anywhere in Canada works to anywhere else in Canada (and the US & Global) if you have the Global texting package.

So, in all Data and SMS are fully Canada Wide!

Simon4s

Yes. I was able to use data from quebec, new brunswick, manitoba and bc. However, i wasnt able to make calls to clients from montreal when i was in montreal.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

If you doubt if the data plan won't charge you, test it for a minute, and check your PM account.

You could also use wi-fi hotspots such as Starbucks, McDonalds, Indigo, local schools, libraries, museums, etc

cricketfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes it will. 

Thano9

Your all good, just the US!

TaylorJW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Your data is not limited to just your home province, no. Should work across Canada as long as you have a signal.

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Data is Nation-wide, you'll be fine in QC.  If you want to make calls in QC, you'll need to add some Long Distance as an Add-On.

*** I'm glad to help but I'm not a moderator.  Please don't send me your personal details.  ***

Need Help? Let's chat.