cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't believe that I just gave up Fall Promo 2016!

As the title says, I can't believe that I gave up my Fall Promo 2016 plan.  I switched to $50 autopay promo 8.5GB.

At home, I did some tests on the 3g network, and I was getting between 15 to 20Mbps for downloads and about about 2Mbps for uploads.  In the same place, and within minutes of my 3g tests, my LTE test gave a result of about 70 (down) and 2 (up) Mbps.

I'm aware that outdoors, I can sometimes can get in excess of 300Mbps speeds, but honestly, I don't care about that and have no clue why anyone needs that type of speed on a phone.

I know someone's going to say, isn't the 3g plan limited to 3Mbps?  Well, yes and no.  

Many of us know that speeds on the HSPA+ network are unrstricted as have a theoretical maximum speed of 42Mbps. So with those 20Mbps speds, I'm fine with that.

Now, what about the argument about better pings with LTE?  That's not my experience, or at least not to any consistency.  This is purely unscientifc my past tests that I've done show there be almost no difference in LTE and HSPA network data pings.  We're talking like 20 vs 30ms or something silly like that.  But today, when I did the tests, the LTE test gave a ping of 34ms, while the HSPA network gave a ping of 38ms (usually).  Ironically, the HSPA+ (3g) network actually gave me the best ping response today out of the few tests that I did at 23ms.

Will I regret giving up the coveted Fall Promo plan?  Maybe.    But it's too late now.  I purposely set the plan to take effect immediately, one day early before my next Fall Promo renewal, just so that I couldn't go back and forth on the decision.

Do I use up more than 4GB over 30 days? No.  Do I need Canada-wide and U.S. calling?  No.  But I took the $50 plan because it does over the best bang for the buck and it's not a secret that people use the data more conservatively when they know that they don't have much.  With 8.5 every 30 days now, I imagine I won't be as afraid to use up all my data, and won't think twice any more about whatching movies and videos using celllular data. 

If I do decide that the extra $10 per 30 days is a waste, I can always switch to a $40/5GB 3g plan later down the road.  That plan has been available (or at least with 4.5GB) for so long that I don't believe it's going anywhere.

In a nutshell, my decision is based soley on 2 factors:   1. To get away from the 90 day billing prepayment billing cycles, and 2. More data is much more important than data speeds, espcially considering that the 3g network is not throttled. 

19 REPLIES 19

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree with @computergeek541

@will13am wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, there are no reward loses in the switch between the 90- and 30-day cycles on a plan change.

The AutoPay $2 per 30-day (3x $6) is applied when you renew for buying another 90-day cycle.  If you only renew the 30-day, you only get $2.  This also applies for the loyalty, and friend referrals, as they are all based on a 30- or 90-day cycle.

The Community Rewards are left untouched, as they are based on Monthly rewards, and are applied throughout the cycle, and not just at renewal date.

We have had the discussion before.  I treat the transition as resulting in a loss.  Up to you how you wish to interpret things.  Bottom line is I have never had any strong intentions on changing plans.  So, no real impact one way or the other. 

I too thought that, but realized that there really is no loss.  Those loyatly, autopay, and referal rewards are multiplied by 3 when you're on  a 90 day plan.  The fact that they suddenly get chopped into one third doesn't matter.  On a 30 day plan, you"ll get the reward paid every 30 days.  On the 90 day plan, those rewards are trippled and take effect earlier to counter your plan fees.   However, with the 30 day plans, while those rewards have been chopped in a third as displayed in your account, you will be getting to use rewards on the second and third set of 30 days.  Those 2 extra "payments"/application of these rewards means that you end up get exactly the same discount over 90 days whether you're on a 30 or 90 day plan.

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, there are no reward loses in the switch between the 90- and 30-day cycles on a plan change.

The AutoPay $2 per 30-day (3x $6) is applied when you renew for buying another 90-day cycle.  If you only renew the 30-day, you only get $2.  This also applies for the loyalty, and friend referrals, as they are all based on a 30- or 90-day cycle.

The Community Rewards are left untouched, as they are based on Monthly rewards, and are applied throughout the cycle, and not just at renewal date.

We have had the discussion before.  I treat the transition as resulting in a loss.  Up to you how you wish to interpret things.  Bottom line is I have never had any strong intentions on changing plans.  So, no real impact one way or the other. 

@computergeek541

I had to bite and migrated a few lines over to Koodo

$40 for 8GB, Canada wide + 1000 intl long distance minutes

-$15 bill credits (12 months)

-$100 refer credits (5 months x2) [all self refer]

So net plan cost is $960 ($40 x 24) - $180 ($15 x 12) - $100 ($10 x 5 x 2)

= $680

Then throw on TAB promo

iPhone 8 $360 ($15 x 24 month) - $150 ($25 x 6 month) - $100 (Walmart gift card)

= $110

$680 + $110 = $790 (24M) for an Avg cost of $33 (rounded up) per month

The phone alone was worth more than what I am paying for phone + service for next 2 years

dna2016

@computergeek541, lol nice to see your complete rationale on your decision making.  At the end of the day it pays for convenience and piece of mind.  Now data usage is never a question.  I think you made the right decision, plus with the increased community rewards, I'm sure you can get your price point down a good amount anyways, since you're very active here.  

Also, as you already mentioned, you can change your plan if you don't think it's worth it anymore, and with the amount of promo deals PM puts on every few months, I'm sure you'll be able to find a more suitable plan if this one doesn't work out.  The current $40 promo plan has been on the longest "limited time" I've ever seen in my life, lol.

smp99

@will13am wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

Really the only negative I see in giving up "the plan" is you will probably be excluded on any future Koodo migration offers

If you managed to resist them all so far I doubt the next round is going to make you lose any sleep

I doubt this matters anymore.  I think Public Mobile knows those who are willing to leave have left already.  Those remaining customers will never switch. 

Except for all of those who recently switched with the hope of getting a migration offer

@kav2001c wrote:

Really the only negative I see in giving up "the plan" is you will probably be excluded on any future Koodo migration offers

If you managed to resist them all so far I doubt the next round is going to make you lose any sleep

I doubt this matters anymore.  I think Public Mobile knows those who are willing to leave have left already.  Those remaining customers will never switch. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The differences between 3G and LTE vary from location to location.  At work, 3G only works for phone calls.  The latency on 3G is about as bad as the Freedom network.  LTE is only barely better.  I work in a Faraday cage.  For me, switching has never really crossed my mind.  The loss of rewards in the transition is an additional disincentive for switching. 

@computergeek541, @Anonymous

I too gave up on the idea of switching of the Fall 2016 Promo.  My last renewal was almost covered by 2 $25 friend referrals, and Community Rewards of $40, and $21 in loyalty and 3-90 reoccurring friend rewards.

I'm currently in a situation where changing plans no longer makes sense as I was looking for a smaller payment.  I current level of rewards is enough to for me to continue on my FULL LTE plan, and I don't feel bad about it being more than I need (I still am at only 9% data usage with 51 days remaining).

As mentioned by computergeek, the rewards are keeping me here, as nowhere else can I get such a deal, and the deals offered by Virgin and Fido do not strike me as being worth it, as the rewards they offer me, are not available where I live and visit.

smp99

I am currently on Fall 2016 plan and have a future date switch to $40 5GB plan. I don't think any Koodo migration can pull me away now. That $40 bill is less than half now with the variuos rewards. My daugher, on the same plan, is basically free for 2019 with her credits and rewards.  

@kav2001c wrote:

It probably doesn't matter because when I had Fall Promo, I was excluded from $40/8GB for some reason.

I did bite on the $40/6GB but backed out and cancelled that Koodo order.

Price-wise,  Public Mobile's prices can't be beat if you have Rewards.

@NDesai wrote:

@computergeek541 If you don't see any difference while on LTE, why use 3G? If you are playing a video and it freezes, sure switch to 3G for better speed. For regular browsing and all, you shouldn't notice the throttled speed (3mbps). 

I am still on the $90 90 days plan and more than happy with it 🙂

I don't really notice a difference in ping when it comes to LTE vs. 3g network, so my thinking was to maybe leave it on 3g for the increased speed.  But in the end, it probably doesn't matter as long as it works.

As for the extra $10 I'll be spending every 30 days, I guess I'll just have to earn some more reward discounts to offset the increased cost (or just switch back to a $40 plan if I don't need all that data).

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@computergeek541 If you don't see any difference while on LTE, why use 3G? If you are playing a video and it freezes, sure switch to 3G for better speed. For regular browsing and all, you shouldn't notice the throttled speed (3mbps). 

I am still on the $90 90 days plan and more than happy with it 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Our friend @stonechucker  is another person who has gone back and forth on this.  Was I worse or him? 

Oh. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong person. One or the other or both of you have posted on several occassions about doing the switch. Maybe that wasn't you. Sorry.

We both did talk about it.  I never actually did the switch. Stonechucker I believe future-dated a change (or changes) but then backed out to my knowledge.  @stonechucker, which plan did you end up deciding on?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

Our friend @stonechucker  is another person who has gone back and forth on this.  Was I worse or him? 

Oh. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong person. One or the other or both of you have posted on several occassions about doing the switch. Maybe that wasn't you. Sorry.

@Anonymous wrote:

Finally!

I've been here long enough to see you hem and haw over that on several occassions. Way t' pull the trigger.

LOL, I'm not the only one.  Like I said, I can always go back to $40/4.5+0.5GB (3g).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally!

I've been here long enough to see you hem and haw over that on several occassions. Way t' pull the trigger.

Need Help? Let's chat.