cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell data plan speed

norstar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been on PM since 2016 but wondering how I can tell what speed rate is my data plan detail.  It only said 12 GB.  It does not say if it is 3G or 4G LTE.  Can anybody tell me how to find out ?

Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

That’s totally false

@Rockdaddy22 that's not necessarily true.  I'm not sure if it's still the case, but at least originally, adding the throttling to new 3G users was a manual process, which is why it could take up to 72 hours to be applied.  It's quite conceivable that a few may have slipped through the cracks, or that the process of applying the throttling may have been done incorrectly, incomplete, or just fallen prey to a glitch.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22

That’s totally false

colehagglund01

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
@xCameron94x
Good point about joining in 2016. Your other point though needs correcting, this new 3G plan is actually throttled LTE, not 3G, so the phone will still show LTE unfortunately. Speedtest would tell you of course 🙂

I paid for a 3g plan but can still use un throttled lte! At 30-100 mbs per second, but i do prefer to use 3g (set in settings) because i tend to have better reception & phone calls only work on 3g anyways, so not really sure why everyones saying its "lte lite" when i have the same speeds as my old telus plan

SD08

@mikga wrote:

Thanks! @SD08

@mikga  No problem.  Smiley Happy

@srlawren  Thx for the mention.  Credit to you for posting that graphic that I linked to. 

mikga
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks! @SD08

srlawren

Don't forget to thank @SD08@mikga!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mikga

Thanks! @srlawren

srlawren

@mikga please see @SD08's reply for the information you seek 🙂

SD08

@mikga wrote:

@srlawren Hi, just learnt that PM has 3G & LTE. My phone shows 4GLTE means that mine is LTE, right as I joined in 2016. Sometimes I saw 3g occasionally. Does it mean that maybe in some spots connection is 3g only.

Thanks!

@mikga

You have a 4G/LTE plan. All plans activated before July 13, 2017, the date of introduction of PM's 3G plans, are by default LTE.

Also, you can tell by your plan details under Plan & Add-ons. Any 3G plan is marked like this:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-tell-data-plan-speed/m-p/173079/...

mikga

@srlawren Hi, just learnt that PM has 3G & LTE. My phone shows 4GLTE means that mine is LTE, right as I joined in 2016. Sometimes I saw 3g occasionally. Does it mean that maybe in some spots connection is 3g only.

Thanks!

srlawren

Please keep us posted, @cornpops

cornpops

@srlawren The plan posted on my account definitley does not have "at 3G speeds" posted. My phone's preffered network has always been on LTE preferred.

This is quite odd, I will contact a moderator.

srlawren

@cornpops although extremely unlikely, it's conceivable that your account may have accidentally been included in "throttling" that gets applied to people selecting one of the newer "3G" data plan options.  Could you firstly sign into your self-serve account and check your Plan Details to make sure it does not include the phrase "at 3G Speeds" after your plan's data amount?

Also, on your phone, make sure you haven't accidentally set your network preference to exclude 4G/LTE.  And maybe also try a reboot, that can cure a lot of "unusual" or suddenly changed behaviour.

If all that fails, then definitely send a private message to @CS_Agent to investigate the issue for you.

cornpops

I signed up before the 3G plans got introduced, but I seem to be constantly getting H speeds on my phone now. I was getting 100% LTE speeds before the switch over. Odd. 

norstar

@srlawren wrote:

Here's how you can tell.  Plans with 3G data show up this way in Plan Details in your self-serve account:

PlanDetails_3G.png

This image was taken from my "3G" test account.

Plans with full speed/4G data do not include that "at 3G Speed" part.  Here's my primary line (on 2016 Fall Promo plan) for comparison:

PlanDetails_FullSpeedData.png

Yes that is what I have in plan detail showing only "12GB Data" so I assume that represented 4G LTE.

Thanks. 

SD08

@srlawren wrote:

Here's how you can tell.  Plans with 3G data show up this way in Plan Details in your self-serve account:

PlanDetails_3G.png

Plans with full speed/4G data do not include that "at 3G Speed" part.  Here's my primary line (on 2016 Fall Promo plan) for comparison:

Thanks for clarifying this.  (Adding this to my e-mail archive.  Robot Happy)

mimmo
That is what i was refering to in my previous post that it would be indicated in the plan details. I was not refering to an indication on the phone itself. Sorry if i might have confused someone.

srlawren

PlanDetails_3G.png

Rockdaddy22
@xCameron94x
Good point about joining in 2016. Your other point though needs correcting, this new 3G plan is actually throttled LTE, not 3G, so the phone will still show LTE unfortunately. Speedtest would tell you of course 🙂

Yep pretty much by phone speed or by how much you paying for the plan 😛
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

norstar

Thanks to all for confirming that there is no way to tell in the plan detail that what rate plan I am on except from the phone connection.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@norstar, if this is something that you are worried about if it will change in the future you can always monitor it your self using www.speedtest.net  Great app for testing network speed

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@mimmo wrote:

the 3g (lte Slow) is a new feature.  I am sure if someone buys a new plan there will be a distinction an identifier stating LTE regural or LTE Slow.

Sorry; there is no plan to change the network identifier. The only indicator will be the plan designation in one's account.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo

the 3g (lte Slow) is a new feature.  I am sure if someone buys a new plan there will be a distinction an identifier stating LTE regural or LTE Slow.

norstar

Thanks for the quick resply.  Yes it shows on the phone but I was wondering why it does not say so on the plan detail.  

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

If you joined in 2016, you will be using LTE. Also your phone will show in the status bar (LTE,3G, ect, ect)

Need Help? Let's chat.