cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeav
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How to make a new plan?

Hello!
How to make a plan for someone who only wants to text message.
I'd like to see a 5 dollar monthly plan for someone who only uses text message and no data.
Is this possible?

I think it would be a great service to provide.

Accepted Solutions
Yummy
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: How to make a new plan?

You cannot customize PM's plans. Plans are predetermined in advance and new clients can only pick what the best works for them.

The cheapest plan is $15 with unlimited SMS (in/out) and unlimited incoming calls plus some data and 100 outgoing minutes. Plan cost becomes $13 with autopay.

If somebody needs only text and is most of the time within WiFi range maybe apps like TextNow (free) will work.

View solution in original post

All Replies
S--S
Mayor / Maire

Yummy
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You cannot customize PM's plans. Plans are predetermined in advance and new clients can only pick what the best works for them.

The cheapest plan is $15 with unlimited SMS (in/out) and unlimited incoming calls plus some data and 100 outgoing minutes. Plan cost becomes $13 with autopay.

If somebody needs only text and is most of the time within WiFi range maybe apps like TextNow (free) will work.

View solution in original post

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The least expensive plan is $15 with unlimited texting/MMS.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#plans-start.

They could reduce their plan costs by signing up for autopay $2 and referrals $1/referral.

Another option would be to use Wi-Fi apps like Textnow.

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@jeav : It's been a standing suggestion for many years. They used to have a build your own plan but they removed it. I would also be interested in a purely a la carte method without bundling discounts like the plan builder used to do. I've also mentioned this idea of a base $5 just to exist as an account. Then add the features you'd like in the same way add-ons work currently. ie. buy a bucket of a feature once and consume it over time.

But no it's not possible at the moment.

The voip apps mentioned also work as long as you're on wifi somewhere. No cellular service needed at all even. Seems TextNow is popular around here. And Fongo.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

@jeav : It's been a standing suggestion for many years. They used to have a build your own plan but they removed it. I would also be interested in a purely a la carte method without bundling discounts like the plan builder used to do. I've also mentioned this idea of a base $5 just to exist as an account. Then add the features you'd like in the same way add-ons work currently. ie. buy a bucket of a feature once and consume it over time.

But no it's not possible at the moment.

The voip apps mentioned also work as long as you're on wifi somewhere. No cellular service needed at all even. Seems TextNow is popular around here. And Fongo.

I can also vouch for the free TextNow app. Using wifi, you can call and text most any number in Canada or US. These days, there's wifi in a lot of places like library, cafes, motels, Wallyworld even has free wifi. Sometimes you just have to ask for their wifi password.

softech
Mayor / Maire

@jeav wrote:

Hello!
I'd like to see a 5 dollar monthly plan for someone who only uses text message and no data.
Is this possible?

No one would make a $5 plan these days.  How can they make money out of it  LoL

Yes, free solution would be TextNow, it's great.. as long as you have Wifi it will work

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jeav wrote:

Hello!
Is this possible?

@jeav   The problem is that we all probably have a different wish list for what plans/price points should be offered.    IMO $5 for unlimited texting is not really a fair price from PM's perspective, perhaps $10 plan for unlimited texting might make more sense.  Then again, for $5 more the $15 plan already offers that plus some talk/data as well.

BTW Freedom Mobile offer $99/year plan with unlimited talk/text which works out to just over $8/month.  Of course their coverage may not always be available in certain places.  I used to be with them a few years ago and the coverage was adequate for my needs, however, I'm a light user but I do remember hearing firsthand from others who experienced dead zones.  They've made a lot improvements since then so that may no longer apply. 

juanpablo03
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think it is possible, Canada has one of the most expensive mobile plans in America. I know the service is pretty decent, but there should be more affordable plans. it´s up to the big company to make that, Actually, if more competitors appear in the scenario. prices will drop.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Even over at SpeakOut the unlimited texting plan is $10. Plus there you could still use the talk feature on a pay-as-you-go basis. Not so here - if you don't pay for a feature beforehand you can't use it. So that $99 ($8.25/month) Freedom plan would be a better deal as long as their coverage works for you.

Not sure what the motivation is for the request. If it's mainly for getting short codes for 2FA, keep in mind that not all data based texting apps are compatible with all 2FA variations.

Edited to add the monthly pricing. Remember plans here are 30days.

Need Help? Let's chat.