cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change caller ID?

hadi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

Just joined Public Mobile yesterday. I ported in a number from Telus that I've had for a month. My Telus plan did not have caller ID, but my PM plan does. I just discovered that my name shows up as the name of the last person who had my phone number. How can I change my caller ID?

Thank you!

16 REPLIES 16

@will13amyou have totally lost me at this point Cat LOL

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am???

Vaporware? The entire concept of Vaporware is that it does not exist so he would never be able to get it?

@will13am wrote:

If the option is not available, not sure what you can do to get vaporware.  These days, most of us have pretty extensive contact list.  That's effectively call display. 

And you have expecations of major additions to this service?  We'd be happy with having everything working that is currently availble in a working state. 

@will13am???

Vaporware? The entire concept of Vaporware is that it does not exist so he would never be able to get it?

@will13am wrote:

If the option is not available, not sure what you can do to get vaporware.  These days, most of us have pretty extensive contact list.  That's effectively call display. 

The issue is probably not with Rogers

The Rogers cell phone probably has a 3rd party app with a web based caller ID app

hadi

Hello all,

I appreciate the help I got from all your responses. In the end, I got a working solution from the mods. Here's what they said:

@CS_Agentwrote

Thanks for clarifying Smiley Happy 

Most phones use third party info from the internet for caller id. After reviewing your account, I saw that you have a Samsung phone. We found the service they use for caller ID.

You can fill out this form to update your caller id here https://hiyahelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=824667

That should fix it! If you need help with anything else, please do let us know.

Hope that helps!

@hadi wrote:

Thanks for the help, @koimr1. I do have one more question: is there any way for PM to look into the caller ID name associated with my number?

FWIW, I have rogers wireless home phone, name display is an option.  When you set up a line, you have the option to provide a name.  I didn't even know about it.  I pay for my sister's home phone and she mentioned that my name was popping up when her friends call her.  I called tech support and they said that when sales set up lines, they just put the payees name and don't bother asking customers what name they want registered to the line.  

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hadi wrote:

Thanks for the help, @koimr1. I do have one more question: is there any way for PM to look into the caller ID name associated with my number?

That's a good question and I don't know - I suggest you contact the moderators and see what they can do or find out. 🙂

You can do so by clicking here and providing your email address, phone number and your question. 🙂 Please let us know what they say!

hadi

koimr1

Ok, since both Freedom and Vonage show just the number and as far as we all know just the number is sent out when you call, I am thinking the issue is with Rogers (either the phone or the carrier).

I don't believe there's anything you will be able to do yourself, I'm afraid.

hadi

On the Rogers phone, there isn't any contact named Conrad. The existing contact still has my old number linked to it, so my new number isn't attached to any contact yet

koimr1

@hadi wrote:

@koimr1 Thanks for the quick reply! On a Rogers cell phone, my caller ID shows up as Conrad, but my name is Hadi. On a Vonage landline, it shows up as Cell Phone.

Hey, you're welcome! 🙂

Ok - this Rogers phone, is there a contact on there that has your number who is named "Conrad"?

Usually when a mobile phone receives a number it looks through the contacts for a match and displays that.

Edit: Have you tried calling other phones to see what they say?

hadi

@koimr1 Thanks for the quick reply! On a Rogers cell phone, my caller ID shows up as Conrad, but my name is Hadi. On a Vonage landline, it shows up as Cell Phone.

Edit: Also checked with Freedom. No caller ID name, just the number.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

Caller ID is just the phone number, Caller ID with naming includes the name. This is how it works for landlines too. Traditionally cell carriers don't offer the name feature but I just read that Rogers apparently does offer it while Bell/Telus don't. I am not certain as I have never used Rogers. Which brings me to question what you or in this case the people you are calling see?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I think called ID is the phone number also.  

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@hadi wrote:

Hello all,

Just joined Public Mobile yesterday. I ported in a number from Telus that I've had for a month. My Telus plan did not have caller ID, but my PM plan does. I just discovered that my name shows up as the name of the last person who had my phone number. How can I change my caller ID?

Thank you!

I am in agreement with kormir1, the carrier just sends the phone number. It is the recipient phone that links your name to the number. How do you know it is the name of the person who had the number before you?

koimr1

How did you discover this? Have you verified with multiple recipients?

I was under the impression (and I could very well be wrong) that PM just sends your phone number. I know there were some posts about this a few months ago but I can't remember if it was ever decided what exactly gets sent.

Edit: Sorry! Welcome to PM!! 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.