cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I switch to a 4G plan?

fractureproof
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a current  Public Mobile customer with $40/mth 1G + 1G bonus data 3G Canada-US unlimited talk and text.

The Canada-US is essential. Amount of data flexible. Just all plans like this say 3G...

12 REPLIES 12

Yes I believe that WOULD work. Except that there are NO Talk and Text plans now. But you may be able to obtain an existing $10 50-50 plan from someone who no longer wants it. And someone just yesterday was offering up their old 90 day LTE plan if someone wants it for the 4G/LTE data.

AE_Collector

@Lumosdance wrote:

I wonder if this would work to get a 4g plan with Public Mobile...

I noticed on their add-ons page that the the data will default to 4G, unless the plan has its own data already, then it will default to that plan's data type (3G).

So I'm thinking, could you buy a talk and text plan with no data (and no auto-pay) then just buy data through the add-ons, or anything else you want to add to your plan.

I'm not sure what cost would break down to and if I'd still be cheaper compared to switching or whatever....

See the last section in the photo

Screenshot_20201122-101944.jpg

@Lumosdance 

It has been discussed in the past.  Even the $15 plan (without autopay), would have 3G data speeds if you bought a data add on.  1GB for $15 data add on is still expensive.  

Lumosdance
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I wonder if this would work to get a 4g plan with Public Mobile...

I noticed on their add-ons page that the the data will default to 4G, unless the plan has its own data already, then it will default to that plan's data type (3G).

So I'm thinking, could you buy a talk and text plan with no data (and no auto-pay) then just buy data through the add-ons, or anything else you want to add to your plan.

I'm not sure what cost would break down to and if I'd still be cheaper compared to switching or whatever....

See the last section in the photo

Screenshot_20201122-101944.jpg

@fractureproof 

Ahh, okay that makes more sense. So it has 2Gb of data every month. It isn’t 1Gb and a 1 Gb add-on which they gave away to all customers twice in 2019 but a 1Gb add-on doesn’t renew every month, it is one time use to cover you if you deplete your regular monthly allotment before your plans next renewal.

As @Anonymous mentioned maybe it was one of the build it yourself plans where you added the unlimited calling from Canada to the US for maybe an extra $5 a month. Currently the $50 8.5Gb plan includes unlimited calling to the USA from Canada. There is an add-on for all other plans that is $8 for 200 minutes of calling to the US only or it is even slightly less to get the 400 minutes of international calling including the USA for $15. These fees buy you that many minutes which stay on your account until you use them up, it isn’t a monthly fee.

I think it was at least a year ago, maybe even a year and a half ago when Public Mobile eliminated The 4G plans and the plan builder that allowed you to build your own plan.

AE_Collector

@fractureproof ya, but first you have to ask yourself, do you need full speed LTE?

do you download lots of files and need the higher download speed?

do you stream videos on 1080p or 4k quality?

it's like paying more for a sports car and not using it for what it's made for

if you don't do either one than you don't need it. at the same time if you are a heavy user of either, then the data allotment that public offers still won't suffice for those needs and the higher tiers with more data are the way to go. there also a trick by switching to HSPA+(3g) for higher download speeds

speedtest 3g.jpeg

fractureproof

Well.. that's a bummer.. Thankfully I don't have a contract 🙂 Weird that like 2-3 years ago they offered it and now they dropped it..

fractureproof

No.. no... It's all from canada, I can call USA unlimited, some plans are only Canada. If in US, I can buy a roaming add-on. My data is also just from canada, the 1G extra is dunno, autopay bonus or to make me keep that plan..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fractureproof wrote:

I am a current  Public Mobile customer with $40/mth 1G + 1G bonus data 3G Canada-US unlimited talk and text.

The Canada-US is essential. Amount of data flexible. Just all plans like this say 3G...

@AE_Collector 

Yeah something sounds a little confusing. Maybe it's a really old build your own plan.

@fractureproof : maybe you could post a screen snip of your Plan Details page. Blank out personal info of course.

Edit: but no there are no full LTE plans here anymore.

I have never heard of the plan you mentioned. 1Gb Canada data and 1Gb US roaming data? 

The US calling is calling while in the US, not just calling from Canada to anywhere in Canada and the USA?

AE_Collector

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@fractureproof PM is 4g LTE data  throttled to 3mbts. Stay safe. 

@fractureproof One option would be to find someone with an old, faster plan who no longer wants it and doesn't care about keeping the phone number.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@fractureproof 

PM only has 3G plans at the present time. 

you will need to move to another company if you really need 4G

Need Help? Let's chat.