cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Call Forward?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Setting up Call Forwarding allows you to set up your phone to immediately forward any calls you receive to a different phone number. You can still make outgoing calls on your phone, but incoming calls will go to the number you set up for Call Forward.

Calls can only be forwarded to numbers within Canada as defined by your rate plan.

The process for setting up call-forwarding is different from phone to phone. Check out your phone’s user guide for details. 

Below are the generic settings for different phone types:

Android

Phone icon > Settings Menu > Call > More settings > Call Forwarding  

Iphone 

Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding

Blackberry

Phone icon > Swipe down from the top > Tap Settings > Call Forwarding

Windows

Settings > System Applications > phone > Call Forwarding / Phone > More > Settings > Call Forwarding

70 REPLIES 70

@public_mobile_1 wrote:

Hello Alex,

I’m sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I saw your posted solution of forwarding to Fongo when you’re in reachable (ie No cell signal), and I wondered if this worked out for you in the end? Thanks!

^^^^^ @Alexo 

public_mobile_1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Alex,

I’m sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I saw your posted solution of forwarding to Fongo when you’re in reachable (ie No cell signal), and I wondered if this worked out for you in the end? Thanks!

Amulya

So there is no one time fee like Koodo ... when the call gets forwarded to Telus it uses up the Public mobile limited minutes ..Ohh got it .. thanks .. it makes more sense now. 

@Amulya Yes, call forwarding uses your minutes. So after 50 minutes forwarding will stop unless you purchase a long distance add-on. The $10 plan is not really useful for call forwarding, it's really intended as a emergency plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Amulya wrote:

thank you so much for your quick reply  ..my personal phone will stay in the same province as my work phone just wanted to know if i will be charged extra for every call forward cause being on a 10/50/50 plan. Can some one find out ? if its a big hassle that's fine ill just carry 2 phones 

regards

Amulya 

I think all Public Mobile plans have call-forwarding. The $10 plan is Canada-wide but of course it'll eat your limited minutes. You can get the long distance add-ons for minutes when you need them.

Amulya

also yes i have Province wide calling on my work phone Telus

Amulya

thank you so much for your quick reply  ..my personal phone will stay in the same province as my work phone just wanted to know if i will be charged extra for every call forward cause being on a 10/50/50 plan. Can some one find out ? if its a big hassle that's fine ill just carry 2 phones 

regards

Amulya 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Amulya wrote:

hi 

so i recently moved from Koodo to Public mobile and i had the same call forwrding method  *21#

1} i obviously will have to do that with Public mobile , to transfer it to telus, how do i do it , is it the same method ( the #21# way)? 

2} also whats the cost for it ?...i remember koodo charged me $2.00 a month 

Hi @Amulya,

You've replied to a very old thread--in the future it's probably better to start your own.  But let me see if I can help:

1) I'm not sure what you mean by using call forwarding to "transfer" something to Telus.  Do you mean to transfer calls to another phone number?  If so then yes it's the same method.

2) Call forwarding is included.  I'm not 100% sure if that's the case on the $10/50/50 plan if that's the one you're interested in (hopefully someone can clarify) but for all other plans, if your plan includes at least province-wide talk, then call forwarding is included.  If you have province-wide talk, you can only forward to numbers within your home province.  If you have Canada-wide or Canada+US-wide talk, you can forward to any Canadian phone number (but never to numbers ouside of Canada).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Amulya

hi 

so i recently moved from Koodo to Public mobile and i had the same call forwrding method  *21#

1} i obviously will have to do that with Public mobile , to transfer it to telus, how do i do it , is it the same method ( the #21# way)? 

2} also whats the cost for it ?...i remember koodo charged me $2.00 a month 

@RLBL had an interesting idea in the other thread

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Are-calls-quot-unanswered-quot-or-quot-unr...

Since we have cross Canada data and Provincial talk, you should be able to conditional call forward while travelling I would think?

Does network see your phone as unreachable or unanswered when in a different province?

Alexo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Cheers!

srlawren
Thanks for the update @SWM! And for the great advice, @Alexo!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

SWM

Actually I think @Alexo's advice worked. I just needed to completely shut down and restart the app. Looks like everything is working perfectly now. Thanks to all for the help!

srlawren
I'm tagging community Fongo expert @Luddite to help (pretty please?)

SWM

Ah just found that option and turned it off, however, it did not solve my problem as all calls still go right to voicemail. 

Alexo

By default, Fongo will autoforward all "anonymous" calls directly to voicemail unless you change that setting.  I got bitten by that too.

SWM

Was wondering if any of you could help me out. I recently signed up for Fongo as I would like to forward my PM calls to my Fongo number when I am out of the province. However, after playing around with the Fongo android app and trying to call my Fongo number, it seems to go directly to voicemail. I set my Fongo number to ring 12 times before going to voicemail and the app says that Fongo is currently connected so I am a little purplexed as to what is going on. Any ideas?

dboxtvinfo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Water tanks? Aghhh, now i know why i come here too read gossiping. Lol

..and looking for bravo!
Click.

Did you see the unhappy post from unsatisfied PM user? The claim is PM does not care!

Hard too beleive.

dboxtvinfo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
NICE!

Bravo

imm1304

Reliance on the iMessage sure makes things harder when roaming.  Maybe some avid iphone users have a workaround.  

srlawren

@imm1304 ah ha, yes, a VoIP solution like Fongo is yet another excellent alternative!  Thanks for sharing!  I sure wish I could get my iPhone-using friends onto WhatsApp, but they almost all use iMessage with texting backup exclusively, which means I have to text with them.  But I think I might try the Fongo route next time I head to the US, actually.

imm1304

Hey all, just wanna share what I did.  

While travelling to the UK recently, I used this solution.

I purchased a local sim card with unlimited data.. there are excellent and inexpensive options such as 3 mobile, EE, etc.  Next, I have a fongo line that has a local Canadian number.  I forwarded my Public Mobile phone line to my fongo number.  With the data service active, all calls made to my PM number rang on my fogo app and I got by just fine.  SMS is not so easy to manage this way, but with Whatsapp continuing to work with my PM number, I didn't really miss anything.  

I am sure this can be replicated in the US as well.  Just putting this out there as another option.  

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @srlawren,

Your first paragraph is a correct summary of my post.

Thank you for the remainder. Should I plan to travel to the USA, I'll compare what you wrote against my experience with toll-free forwarding, and then decide which is better in terms of cost and convenience.

Cheers.

srlawren

@Martin thanks for detailing that method of forwarding calls to a US number.  I don't think I will make use of it myself but it may help others.  Just so I understand, the result in the end is that you end up with your PM service forwarding all calls (as you are not available while away) to your toll-free line, which in turn forwards the calls to your US roaming number? 

There are other possible approachs too I think, such as using an alternate roaming provider like Know Roaming where you can purchase a Canadian-based number from them that will forward to your roaming US number.  So you could do something similar and forward your PM number to the Canadian Know Roaming number, which would in turn foward to your US Know Roaming number.  This would remove the toll-free line from the equation, though Know Roaming apparently charges $3 USD for the Canadian phone line, plus they have a different pricing scheme than Roam Mobility, instead charging per minute, sms, and kilobyte (and their pricing is in USD, so always factor in exchange).

I mention this latter option not as an endorsement of Know Roaming (I myself use and prefer Roam Mobility and can live with drawback of not getting calls on my usual number), but rather as an option for folks to consider.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

You're quite welcome!

@Martin Thanks for letting us know that forwarding to US numbers is not possible with PM.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi,

If you want your calls to be forwarded to a US number, while using your PM phone south of the border, do the following. It might appear convoluted, but it's not. I have been using toll-frees for 15 years, and I have accomplished certain things with them that would have been otherwise impossible.

First, this is for those who are frequent visitors to the USA, or are not on a tight budget.

Obtain a toll-free number from Kall8.com, which is my service provider. The monthly cost is $2 US for having a number, and 7¢ US for every minute of usage. There is no minimum-usage fee. To test that forwarding is working, access your Kall8.com account and point your number to your PM number. If you find that difficult to do, customer assistance, by phone, will do it for you. They are consistently helpful. When you test the forwarding, call your toll-free from your PM phone. You will then hear a call-waiting beep, because you're using your phone, calling your toll-free! Just before entering the USA and hence still within PM's coverage area, enable Always Forward on your phone. The change in settings will be conveyed to your regional VM number. Once in the States, activate, for example, a Roam Mobility SIM card, and learn what your new US number is. Access your Kall8.com account or call its customer assistance. In any case, change the number to which your toll-free is supposed to be forwarded from your PM number to your US number.

By doing the above, you won't have to contact any of your Canadian, American, or international callers to inform them of your temporary US number.

I hope that the above proves helpful.

Cheers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

A clarification is in order.

PM does not support the forwarding of a number to the USA, even if one has unlimited U.S. calling, as I do.

FYI.

@DK From what I've heard, call forwarding to a US number will not work if you only have an international calling add-on (you need unlimited calling to the US for it to work).

Also, the only way of automatically forwarding texts requires that a phone with the PM SIM card stay within Canada (connected to the PM network) for the forwarding to work. If you can arrange this, then you can download one of several apps on the Android and iOS marketplaces, that will do the deed for you.

DK

Well it seems I was wrong with regards to the US calling on the pioneer plans! It's was international text so she will have to call her vm and catch any missed calls. Is there any way of forwarding texts per se?

Thanks again. The call forwarding works but not for US numbers even though she has the add on. But will try again once she is there.

Need Help? Let's chat.