cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: How plans work at Public Mobile?

@Thoraze no problem.  Welcome to Public Mobile!  Smiley Happy

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start with public mobile, but I don't quite understand how the pricing works.

I'm on the Plans part of this website.  And after I select my options, the breakdown says:

$62 Plan Costs - $20 Discount = $42 total (+tax)

I don't understand what the Discount is all about.  All I want to know is how much will I pay per month from the start?  Where does this Discount come in?

Mayor / Maire

@DangitBobby when you choose a 30 or 90 day plan, you get discounts for choosing either 2 of or all 3 of talk, text, and data options.  So the more services you choose, the higher the discount.

PM's plans are literally 30 or 90 days, they are not "per month".  So if you want to calculate the actual per calendar month to compare to other providers, use this formula:

<Plan cost>  / 30 or 90 depending on the plan lenght you choose = cost per day.  Take that and multiply it by 365 to get cost per year.  Take that and divide by 12 to get cost per calendar month.  But note that you will be billed in exactly 30 or 90 day increments, not "per month".  

Hopefully that helps some?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren- thank you that does provide some clarification!  I just thought that the "discount" had some weird conditions attached to it!  Also- it looks like the plans are a bit cheaper if you opt for the 90 day plan vs the 30 day.  Any idea why that is?

Mayor / Maire

@DangitBobby so it looks like you're considering a 30 day, province-wide talk plan with global texting and 1GB of data.  The price you will pay is $42 + tax every 30 days.  You can easily bring that down to $40 after your first month by adding auto-pay (put your credit card on file so it can automatically pay your renewal every 30 days, and they give you a $2/30 day discount for it, on top of what you receive by choosing 2 or 3 plan options).

So for you, you'd be paying:

$42 / 30 = $1.40 per day * 365 = $511.00 per year, / 12 = $42.59 + tax, or $40.59 + tax with auto-pay discount after the first month.

If you are comfortable with a 90 day plan (and paying for 90 days at a time, up front), you could save even more by going with the equivalent 90 day plan with province-wide talk, global texting, and 3GB of data (to use over the full 90 days, so same amount of data overall) for $111 + tax.  The math on that is:

$111 / 90 = $1.233333 per day * 365 = $450.17 per year / 12 = $37.52 per calendar month (Plus tax).  OR, with auto pay, $35.52 per calendar month plus tax.

Mayor / Maire

@DangitBobby sorry I was in the midst of typing my last reply when you asked about the 90 day discount.  It's slightly cheaper because you're committing to a longer period of time.  This is similar to how Roger or Telus or Bell (etc) would give you a larger hardware subsidy if you signed a 2 year contract vs. a 1 year contract.  But this is just by way of comparisson--you are not signing a contract with PM and can cancel at any time by removing auto-pay and not making a payment at the end of your current cycle, OR, by porting your number to another provider.  You will not get any refund for cancelling should you decide to do so.

Re: How plans work at Public Mobile with a twist

Ok I tried to chage my plan in December before my next renewal date....the sytem dropped my service even though the renewal date was 2 weeks away. I had to add money to get service back in the amount of my previous amount to be billed. I therefore had a large credit (100.00) in my account. I requested to downsize my plan did not take place on my renewal. I am currently being charged for services I am unable to use becuase I am out of the country.

Secondly, the description of how the "system" works is pretty inadequate since all this community rhetoric is basically about the "work arounds" that make the system do what it is suppose to do. YOU WOULDN"T NEED MOST OF THIS IF THE "MANUAL" (if you could call it that)  REALLY DID ITS JOB. So far I have not seen any description of how to put your system in "I am gone mode". I have spent a lot of time reading and writing and asking and wasting time trying to get a simple solution to a pretty simple problem...while PM takes and uses my money.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm a new customer of Public Mobile and I have been loving it so far. My plan is going to expire in a week and I want to stay with the current plan. So I logged onto my account and click "Make a Payment" and paid the amount due. By doing this will my current plan be renewed? I'm sorry for asking this question, I feel like a noob. But I want to make sure I did everything correctly as I want to keep my current plan. 

Thank you.

Mayor / Maire

@Optical24 glad you're liking it around here!  If your "available funds" now show as much (or more) as your plan cost, then you're all set.  For even easier renewals in the future plus to save $6 every 90 days, you might want to consider enabling Auto-Pay.  It's much simpler and you won't have to worry about making manual top-ups like you have just done.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for the quick reply! I'll definitely look into the auto-pay option.