cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How plans work at Public Mobile?

Mansi_G
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

At Public Mobile, the choice is yours. You set the terms and build your own plan, so you only pay for the services you want, for however long you want them.

• There are three (3) plan length options to choose from; 10, 30 or 90 days.
  • The day pass is just the first component that makes up a customizable plan. The final cost of the plan depends on the Talk, Text and Data options that you choose.
  • Here is an overview of how our plans work:SPM0648-01_Lithium_Community_Beta_Assets_v2_EN3.png 

Once you have determined how long you need service for, go ahead and start building your plan.

Choose the amount of talk, text and data you need and the chart will automatically calculate the discount depending on what you have chosen. The more options you choose, the more you save. It’s important that you choose one item from each column (including “no” options) in order to build the plan. Your plan subtotal will calculate automatically as you build your plan.

plans 2.png

71 REPLIES 71

DangitBobby
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start with public mobile, but I don't quite understand how the pricing works.

I'm on the Plans part of this website.  And after I select my options, the breakdown says:

$62 Plan Costs - $20 Discount = $42 total (+tax)

I don't understand what the Discount is all about.  All I want to know is how much will I pay per month from the start?  Where does this Discount come in?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Thoraze no problem.  Welcome to Public Mobile!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Thoraze
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Thanks for clarifying @srlawren

srlawren

@Thoraze no, it sounds like you are on the best plan for your needs.  There is no "local calling" plans, the smallest is province-wide.  And for texting, you either get all (global texting) or no texting.  So, you are on the most affordable plan that includes what you need.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Thoraze
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hello, I'm a new customer and would like to verify plans. Right now I have Unlimited province call and international text.
But I only need unlimited calls and text locally + 6GB data, is that even possible? Thanks

Saray_O
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JaK Oh, you're right 😮 Thank you for pointing out!

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

JaK

Hi @Saray_O

Noticed that the chart in @Mansi_G's post at the start of this thread is no longer accurate, it shows the pre-Aug discount not the current ones. Not a big deal, just mentioning it as it is a sticky.

Saray_O

Hi there @icej33

I'm sorry to hear that!

Could you send me your phone number via private message? I will look into this for you 🙂

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

icej33
I'm having trouble with plan change option on self serve. I deposited voucher into account yesterday so I had 39$ now balance is zero. I do not know why system deducted $ for no service. Thanks

srlawren

@icej33 don't forget that if you choose multiple services, you get some or all of that back in the discounts.  If you choose 2 servcies, you get $5 discount per 30 days, so half of the $10 amount.  But, if you choose all 3 services, you get a $20 discount per 30 days, which reimburses you the full $10 plus another $10 on top of that. 

@icej33 Nobody but the PM marketing team know the rationale for this fee. Truly, you just have to ignore it and focus on the total cost. If you do only pay the $10 there would NO service at all. Plus you can use add-ons unless you already have a plan; in particular the long distance add-ons will not function without a calling plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

icej33
I still don't know why customers pay 10$ for 30days just to use service before picking plan.

Kayfun101
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I think I will just buy the vouchers from now on because I don't want to use my credit anymore but the auto pay discount is so attractive to my money I don't now what to choose

@trdtdtd Yep, they sure did (you can thank the FCC licensing bureaucracy for that). But there's an easy fix available to the phone's internal modem that makes the LTE radio accessible again.

Profit!

trdtdtd

O yeah I forgot those google basters blocked LTE on N4 lol

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@trdtdtd

The nexus 4 will work and if you talk to @7789849803 he may be able to tell you how to turn on the LTE chip in it.

trdtdtd

Well, I got 2 phones. But I planed to try PM on my nexus 4 (my back up phone) to see whts up first. 

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@trdtdtd

I used to be with Wind. I can tell you that the indoor coverage is much better. But it also depends on the phone... For example, Telus supports multiple bands for LTE, but my LG G3 D852G (Videotron/Wind) version only supports it for band 4 (AWS) which explains why LTE signal is weak indoors at my house. There is so little information about my specific model (852G variant) that it took me a couple of hours of searching to figure this out. But having said that, even though it is weak, I still get 20Mbps down and 10Mbps up with only 1 bar signal. With Wind, if I was lucky to get 1 bar at my house, even being able to make a call would be a 60% chance of failure. Usually, I get no signal with Wind in my house unless the phone is sitting on the window sill.

As of right now at work, I have 5 bars LTE, speedtest result is 41.55Mbps down, 15.86Mbps up. I checked my historical results when I was with Wind and my best result on that network was 11.33Mbps down, 2.13Mbps up... this is after they "upgraded" their network. Both networks get excellent signal at my office.

srlawren

@NDesai and @7789849803 have given you some great info, @trdtdtd!  

I just wanted to note in regards to your question about signal quality--no network is 100% perfect!  Telus' network really is very good.  It's not the fastest LTE in Canada based on independent testing, but it's got excellent coverage, and in my personal experience, it's very reliable.  But no network is prefect.  you will still find areas where you may get weak or no service, you will get the odd dropped call, etc.  That's just the reality of mobile networks.  That said, the Telus network should be MUCH better than the Wind network you were asking to compare to.  I just wanted to make sure you had realistic expectations!

Also, 778's note about data is very important as many people don't realize it's over the course of the whole plan length you choose, and wind up short of data in their first 90-day plan as a result. 

@trdtdtd I wanted to make sure you knew (it's been brought up a few times in the community, so bears mentioning):

The data that you pay for as part of a plan is the amount that will be available to use throughout the plan. It will not be replenished mid-plan. So, a 1GB 90 day plan is roughly the same as getting 341 Mb of data per month.

@trdtdtd Your Welcome Smiley Very Happy

If you just want to try PM, you can join with Risk free way: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Risk-Free-Activation-costs-10/m-p/2877...

PM offers Rewards like Autopay ($2/30 days), referral, etc...

http://publicmobile.ca/en/on/rewards

Let us know if you have anymore questions. 

Good Luck!!

trdtdtd

Many thx!!!!

@trdtdtd wrote:

So hows the call quality indoor? Will it went to SXXX like WIND mobile? 

Service quality is at its best. You will be on Telus network so there will be NO downside on low bars or low speed like on wind.....

As long as your location is covered with Telus network, you're goot to go. 

trdtdtd

So hows the call quality indoor? Will it went to SXXX like WIND mobile? 

@trdtdtd wrote:

So why the h... Will anybody use other carriers? 

Well, they might not know about PM yet since its new or don't know that it run on Telus LTE network. 

And many wants paper bill, phone support, etc...for these reason they might prefer other carriers. 

May b you can try bringing your friends to PM once you find out how good PM's service is Smiley Very Happy

trdtdtd

So why the h... Will anybody use other carriers? 

@trdtdtd wrote:

So the discount will always be there?

Until I change plan?

The discount will depend on how many choices you make. But ya, the total price will remain the same for every cycle unless you make changes.

trdtdtd

Until I change plan?

@trdtdtd wrote:

So whys not everyone jump on public mobile?

Its cheaper than most others.

Wheres the catch ?

Is this really that good?

Ya its cheaper and there is no catch. It run on Telus LTE network so coverage should not be an issue. 

Once you get up and running, you're set....

Some people want really quick on phone support which PM does not offer. 

But they started to provide quick community support which is going pretty good so far...

trdtdtd

So whys not everyone jump on public mobile?

Its cheaper than most others.

Wheres the catch ?

Is this really that good?

Need Help? Let's chat.