cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How plans work at Public Mobile?

Mansi_G
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

At Public Mobile, the choice is yours. You set the terms and build your own plan, so you only pay for the services you want, for however long you want them.

• There are three (3) plan length options to choose from; 10, 30 or 90 days.
  • The day pass is just the first component that makes up a customizable plan. The final cost of the plan depends on the Talk, Text and Data options that you choose.
  • Here is an overview of how our plans work:SPM0648-01_Lithium_Community_Beta_Assets_v2_EN3.png 

Once you have determined how long you need service for, go ahead and start building your plan.

Choose the amount of talk, text and data you need and the chart will automatically calculate the discount depending on what you have chosen. The more options you choose, the more you save. It’s important that you choose one item from each column (including “no” options) in order to build the plan. Your plan subtotal will calculate automatically as you build your plan.

plans 2.png

71 REPLIES 71

As this is a 30-day or 90-day, so there's normally 5 extra days in the year.  Leap year has 6 extra days.

The months that follow a month with only 30 days, will renew the same day.  Follow a 31 day month, 1 day earlier.

March renews 2 days later (3/4 years), 1 day in a leap year. (oops!  had to change the 3 to 1).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@user2018 wrote:

May be its a dumb question, I am sorry about that.

If I activate an account (30 days plan) for instance Dccember 15, what will be my renewal date? January 14 or January 13?

For other operators they have month-month plan so they ignore 31st day of any month, but for Public Mobile its 30 days. Thats mean for above example renewal date will be 13 January or still it will be 14 January?

No dumb questions. Good of you to investigate things.

It's 30 days. So yes it floats around a bit. Then February kinda re-aligns it.

user2018
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

May be its a dumb question, I am sorry about that.

If I activate an account (30 days plan) for instance Dccember 15, what will be my renewal date? January 14 or January 13?

For other operators they have month-month plan so they ignore 31st day of any month, but for Public Mobile its 30 days. Thats mean for above example renewal date will be 13 January or still it will be 14 January?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@wyldfirez wrote:

Reading alot about making your own plan. I just picked one of the plans offered and wondering if it is better to create my own plan?

@wyldfirez it's worth exploring the build your own plan tool for sure.  You may not find anything that meets your needs/budget better but it's worth a look.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

wyldfirez

Reading alot about making your own plan. I just picked one of the plans offered and wondering if it is better to create my own plan?

Bailey12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just switched from Telus. I had been looking at Public Mobile for awhile but felt it was too good to be true. I’m glad I finally went ahead and switched. I’m now saving money on my monthly plan and Public Mobile offers many different plans to meet my needs. I like that I can switch my plan at any time and of course I love the rewards the company offers. 

I have been recommending Public Mobile to everyone. I wish I had switched sooner. 

@AKSHAYPALAV wrote:

Can we add 200MB ($10) Add-On with any Talk & Text Plan ?

Yes, you can. It will not expire until you fully use up all 200MB of data. 

AKSHAYPALAV

Can we add 200MB ($10) Add-On with any Talk & Text Plan ?

@Lvanderwier wrote:

Why do you need to change your plan before the renewal?  If i havent bought/paid for the plan, i should be able to change it, no?

I am not quite sure what you are getting at with the question.  With this service you are free to change plans any time and as many times as you wish.  There are no restrictions.  The only thing to be mindful of is that each time a plan is changed immediately, all paid usage is lost.  Most customers future date their changes so that it takes effect at the next renewal.  Having said that most of us are content with whatever plan we have select when joining the service.  We continue to renew on the same plan month after month. 

Lvanderwier

Why do you need to change your plan before the renewal?  If i havent bought/paid for the plan, i should be able to change it, no?

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Kerri wrote:

Thanks. Where do I find how to set up the data? thanks.

You will find the latest information on setting up data in the knowledge base article Setting up Data (APN) on your phone.

Kerri
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks. Where do I find how to set up the data? thanks.

@Kerri

Let us know if there are more questions we can help with!

Kerri

Thanks, @wetcoaster  think I will sign on and get the unlimitted talk/text.I

@Kerri

Adding to @srlawren's points: based on 1.5GB/90days and global text, a plan with provincial talk is $90, the one with unlimited Canada and US talk is $120. So a $30 difference for 90days.

For $30 you'll get two 400min long distance add-ons which includes calling to the US. So, if you are calling to the US for more than 800 minutes/90days (that's 13hour 20min per 90days or just short of 4.5hours per 30days on average) the unlimited Canada / US plan would be the way to go.

There are also plenty of VOIP apps that you could use over WiFi and/or your data connection.

srlawren

@Kerri wrote:

Hello. Is it possible when building a paln for example, to have privince wide talk but unlimitted calling tothe States, 500 mb of data and global text? I'm still trying to decide if Public mobile is the cell provider I need as I cannot call the states with my current carrier and I have American friends. thanks and sorry for my strange questions.

Hi @Kerri.  Unfortunately, no.  If you go with province-wide talk, you'll have to use the long distance add-on minutes to call to the USA. They are sold in either 200 min buckets for $8 or 400 min for $15.  If you're looking to use a lot of minutes to the USA, that may not be the best idea.  If you need unlimited to the USA, you'll have to choose Canada+USA talk in your plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Kerri

Hello. Is it possible when building a paln for example, to have privince wide talk but unlimitted calling tothe States, 500 mb of data and global text? I'm still trying to decide if Public mobile is the cell provider I need as I cannot call the states with my current carrier and I have American friends. thanks and sorry for my strange questions.

srlawren

@horemans is everything back to normal today?  Please give us a brief update when you get a moment.

srlawren
@horemans are your services still working? If so, it's completely normal to see expired during renewal night. Look again in the morning and it will be back to Active, and you will have your fresh allotment of data.

horemans
Nope.. autopay did not work. Expired!

srlawren

@horemans Sometime overnight tonight.  By the time you wake up tomorrow.

horemans
I am due today, autopay.
I used all my data as of yesterday.
What time today will I see a new data bucket? It is 837 am and I have no new data.

Optical24

Thank you for the quick reply! I'll definitely look into the auto-pay option. 

srlawren

@Optical24 glad you're liking it around here!  If your "available funds" now show as much (or more) as your plan cost, then you're all set.  For even easier renewals in the future plus to save $6 every 90 days, you might want to consider enabling Auto-Pay.  It's much simpler and you won't have to worry about making manual top-ups like you have just done.

Optical24

I'm a new customer of Public Mobile and I have been loving it so far. My plan is going to expire in a week and I want to stay with the current plan. So I logged onto my account and click "Make a Payment" and paid the amount due. By doing this will my current plan be renewed? I'm sorry for asking this question, I feel like a noob. But I want to make sure I did everything correctly as I want to keep my current plan. 

Thank you.

MediaGuy

Ok I tried to chage my plan in December before my next renewal date....the sytem dropped my service even though the renewal date was 2 weeks away. I had to add money to get service back in the amount of my previous amount to be billed. I therefore had a large credit (100.00) in my account. I requested to downsize my plan did not take place on my renewal. I am currently being charged for services I am unable to use becuase I am out of the country.

Secondly, the description of how the "system" works is pretty inadequate since all this community rhetoric is basically about the "work arounds" that make the system do what it is suppose to do. YOU WOULDN"T NEED MOST OF THIS IF THE "MANUAL" (if you could call it that)  REALLY DID ITS JOB. So far I have not seen any description of how to put your system in "I am gone mode". I have spent a lot of time reading and writing and asking and wasting time trying to get a simple solution to a pretty simple problem...while PM takes and uses my money.

srlawren

@DangitBobby sorry I was in the midst of typing my last reply when you asked about the 90 day discount.  It's slightly cheaper because you're committing to a longer period of time.  This is similar to how Roger or Telus or Bell (etc) would give you a larger hardware subsidy if you signed a 2 year contract vs. a 1 year contract.  But this is just by way of comparisson--you are not signing a contract with PM and can cancel at any time by removing auto-pay and not making a payment at the end of your current cycle, OR, by porting your number to another provider.  You will not get any refund for cancelling should you decide to do so.

srlawren

@DangitBobby so it looks like you're considering a 30 day, province-wide talk plan with global texting and 1GB of data.  The price you will pay is $42 + tax every 30 days.  You can easily bring that down to $40 after your first month by adding auto-pay (put your credit card on file so it can automatically pay your renewal every 30 days, and they give you a $2/30 day discount for it, on top of what you receive by choosing 2 or 3 plan options).

So for you, you'd be paying:

$42 / 30 = $1.40 per day * 365 = $511.00 per year, / 12 = $42.59 + tax, or $40.59 + tax with auto-pay discount after the first month.

If you are comfortable with a 90 day plan (and paying for 90 days at a time, up front), you could save even more by going with the equivalent 90 day plan with province-wide talk, global texting, and 3GB of data (to use over the full 90 days, so same amount of data overall) for $111 + tax.  The math on that is:

$111 / 90 = $1.233333 per day * 365 = $450.17 per year / 12 = $37.52 per calendar month (Plus tax).  OR, with auto pay, $35.52 per calendar month plus tax.

DangitBobby

srlawren- thank you that does provide some clarification!  I just thought that the "discount" had some weird conditions attached to it!  Also- it looks like the plans are a bit cheaper if you opt for the 90 day plan vs the 30 day.  Any idea why that is?

srlawren

@DangitBobby when you choose a 30 or 90 day plan, you get discounts for choosing either 2 of or all 3 of talk, text, and data options.  So the more services you choose, the higher the discount.

PM's plans are literally 30 or 90 days, they are not "per month".  So if you want to calculate the actual per calendar month to compare to other providers, use this formula:

<Plan cost>  / 30 or 90 depending on the plan lenght you choose = cost per day.  Take that and multiply it by 365 to get cost per year.  Take that and divide by 12 to get cost per calendar month.  But note that you will be billed in exactly 30 or 90 day increments, not "per month".  

Hopefully that helps some?

Need Help? Let's chat.