cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does texting cost if not unlimited in a plan?

Nortenzy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Where is all the pricing?

13 REPLIES 13

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nortenzy I just want to clarify:  Public Mobile doesn't offer any "pay per use" rates on anything, if that's what you're asking.  Pre-paid lines at any provider (and all of PM's plans are prepaid) do not offer pay-per-use billing.  Some providers may offer add-ons or boosters on their prepaid plans that allow you to purchase a set # of messages for a pre-paid set price, but at this time, Public Mobile does not offer this.

So to clarify, there are two situations right now at Public Mobile:

1) There is a special plan that is $10 every 30 days and as noted, this includes 50 minutes of talk (both incoming and outgoing are billed) and 50 sent text messages (with unlimited incoming).  Once the 50 sent text messages are used up--on this plan only--you will be unable to send any more text messages until your 30 days are up and the plan renews.

2) For literally EVERY other plan offered by Public Mobile, you have two options:  you can have unlimited texting included in the plan or no texting at all included in the plan.  Since there is no pay-per-use or texting add-on(s) offered at this time, if you don't pick texting as part of your plan (other than the $10 plan noted above), you will not be able to send or receive any text messages.  

Do note for #2 above, if you play around in the "Build your own plan" tool, adding unlimited texting to many plans is not very expensive, and in some cases (most/all plans that already include a Talk option other than "no talk" and a data option other than "no data"), it's actually free to add the unlimited texting or even in a few rare cases makes the plan cheaper than without the texting, due to bundling discounts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@will13am wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

I would say it costs $10 per 50 texts ( ie it's the cost of renewing your plan early).

The limited amount of usage is so tiny, it's punitive to ever have to renew early.  Might as well get the unlimited talk and text plan.

@will13am@ @I have to dissagre with you on this one. Say you average 100 texts / 30 days that means you   renew early every 2 weeks. You are paying $16/30 days total (10+10- 2-2(autopay). It's cheaper than the $25 (23 after autopay)for the unlimited plan.    The numbers are even better if you run out every 3 weeks....

Why pay more for something you don't need? 

Is it worth the hasle of renewing early? only someone on the plan can tell you.     

I would suggest that your example while correct is not practical.  There's no app to track usage.  Go one text over and your example breaks down.  You know how it is with typical users, they are either like me who might use 50 text in a quarter or use 50 every day.  For not a whole lot more money, get the unlimited plan and never worry.

there are actually several apps to count sms usage and one that counts sms and calling usage in goggle play (search count sms) .  how good they  are i don't know.   

Again this plan is for the  light caller and smser. If you are sending 50 sms in one day then it is not for you.   the whole point of the converstion was how much does it cost if someone runs out of sms. it costs $10($8 after autopay) to get another 50.  is it praticle / worth it to renew early? only the user doing it can tell you.     

another sligtly different example my mom is on the $25/unlimited calling/texting plan and she wanted data, she had two options upgrade her plan and get 500 mb for $30/ month, or get the addon 1gb  for 30$.   most people would say get the $30 plan  turns out  the 1gb addon lasted her a year.  

@mimmo wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

I would say it costs $10 per 50 texts ( ie it's the cost of renewing your plan early).

The limited amount of usage is so tiny, it's punitive to ever have to renew early.  Might as well get the unlimited talk and text plan.

@will13am@ @I have to dissagre with you on this one. Say you average 100 texts / 30 days that means you   renew early every 2 weeks. You are paying $16/30 days total (10+10- 2-2(autopay). It's cheaper than the $25 (23 after autopay)for the unlimited plan.    The numbers are even better if you run out every 3 weeks....

I would suggest that your example while correct is not practical.  There's no app to track usage.  Go one text over and your example breaks down.  You know how it is with typical users, they are either like me who might use 50 text in a quarter or use 50 every day.  For not a whole lot more money, get the unlimited plan and never worry.

mimmo

@will13am wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Nortenzy wrote:

@will13am"

@will13am wrote:

@Nortenzy wrote:

@will13am, I don't get it. What happens when a customer tries to send a text or is sent a text? Do they just vanish?

Incoming text is unlimited and so there won't be a problem receiving text.  You won't be able to send when you run out.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in the context of cellular services. Thank you for clarifying. I will stay far far away.

I don't understand why this is the most rediculous thing?  You asked about what happens with plans that don't have unlimited texting.  PM is prepaid so they aren't going to charge a per text price after the 50 from the cheapest plan they have.  For a little bit more you get unlimited calling and texting

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Nortenzy

@will13am"

@will13am wrote:

@Nortenzy wrote:

@will13am, I don't get it. What happens when a customer tries to send a text or is sent a text? Do they just vanish?

Incoming text is unlimited and so there won't be a problem receiving text.  You won't be able to send when you run out.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in the context of cellular services. Thank you for clarifying. I will stay far far away.

@mimmo wrote:

Nortenzy

@Nortenzy wrote:

mimmo

dtran3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Easiest way for me to view what's available is clicking the Plans tab at the top navigation bar viewing the preset plans there (https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans), or clicking "Build your own plan" to see what options they have and how you can configure your plan to your liking, seeing the price change dynamically.

Hope this helps!

Nortenzy

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Nortenzy, unfortunately there's no text add-on option.  I recall reading somewhere that buying the US roaming add-on with text will work here.  That's not a cost effective solution.  The recommendation to offer a text only add-on has been brought up but no response from Public Mobile.  

Need Help? Let's chat.