cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long will the Koodo 5GB $35/month promo go for?

xKen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've recently received a text saying "Due to popular demand, we are extending your offer for a limited time! Switch to Koodo...". Is there a specific date/time for this promo's extension?

I'm asking because:

1. My only credit card has been deactivated due to some fraud detection (Seems like I'm not the only one, for reference - "08/28/18, $6.86, braintreecharge com"). I'm trying to get it resolved.
  2. My renewal date for current Public Mobile plan is on the 26th, and I want to use it as much as I can before switching to Koodo.
30 REPLIES 30

xKen

"K, I'm not even going to waste my time on kids that reply with "LOL" and "LUL"."

*replies and tag the kid* OMEGALUL

pku

@xKen

Despite my math being off, all I said was you didn't factor in your monthly cost to your initial overall profit. 

xKen

@pku wrote:

@xKen

I'm sorry what? If people are in it for max profit they would cancel the day off the plan and not wait 2 years to pay off the tab.. 

"down $214.40" - for 2yrs of 5GB data/unlimited text/talk, aka. $8.93/month. I don't see why you even clicked on this thread if your current plan is cheaper than that lol

If you're trying to make an investment, switching between phone carriers probably doesn't have the highest ROI. Maybe you should look into something else...sorry to disappoint LOL

pku

@xKen

I'm sorry what? If people are in it for max profit they would cancel the day off the plan and not wait 2 years to pay off the tab.. 

Grenader
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I hear this before however that was about PM.

Could you please be more specific in what disadvantages Koodo has in comparison with Telus? 

Thanks, Igor

xKen

If you use the plan forever, you get no profit....what kinda argument is that LUL

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pku Plan cost that is what you have to pay to use every month even using with PM you still have to pay monthly cost 🙂 im talking about the offer. If you have a lot of friends or rewards from PM maybe you don’t have to switch 🙂

pku

@meocon

huh? but you didn't factor in your actual plan cost... 

$35(1.13) x 24 = $949.20

735 - 949.20 = -214.4

so you're actually down $214.40 if you decide to keep the plan, or decide to cancel at 90 days to not get blacklisted

or up $485 if you cancel right away and lose bill credits + referral 

so its not "$735 in your pocket"

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@meocon, @KMG thanks.  If only someone had not used/stolen my number.

meocon

@mimmo sold iPhone 6 for $300 Smiley Happyso you’ll get a profit $300 for selling a phone + $375-$425 gift card depends on promo at the time & place you activate a line + $200 bill credit + $50 friend referral = $975 - $240 small tab = $735 in your pocket Smiley Happy

xKen

@KMG don't forget the referral $50 Smiley Happy credit to @meocon Heart

xKen

@mimmo read previous comments, check phone market price, and do some simple mafs Smiley Wink

KMG

Let's say you got the iphone 6 from Walmart for $0 on small tab:

$375 walmart gift card

$200 in bill credits

$30 activation fee, but refunded in 2-3 months

iphone 6 is worth ~$250

so $250 + $375 + $200 = $825, but you have to pay $10/month for 24 months on small tab, so subtract $240

= $585

Not 100% accurate since I didn't include taxes anywhere.  Also have to take into account your monthly rate plan, which might be slightly more expensive than PM since there are no autopay/community/loyalty rewards with Koodo.  Plus any unused time/credit when you close your PM account.

xKen

@mimmo read previous comments, check phone market price, and do some simple mafs Smiley Wink

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@@xKen @How do you get the 600?

xKen

@lostinspace wrote:

Someone else may have not mentioned it but koodo is the step down (economic option) company of TELUS while PM is not. PM is getting the same level of coverage and service that TELUS customers get. once you are with KOODO, you are depending on their TELUS rated network for their second tier. Yeah, giftcard and credit makes the deal sweeter, but at the end as I said coverage is not something advertised but felt just like hundreds of third tier customers. It really depends on what are your priorities, more money in your pocket or getting actually what you are ready to pay for!! 

You can make ~$600 if you play this right...at $35/month, that's ~15months free lol I'm not gonna complain about bad coverage when it's free.

meocon

@TCity Gift card deal is on weekdays & weekends no expiry but for the weekends you’ll get bonus gift card 🙂

lostinspace
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Someone else may have not mentioned it but koodo is the step down (economic option) company of TELUS while PM is not. PM is getting the same level of coverage and service that TELUS customers get. once you are with KOODO, you are depending on their TELUS rated network for their second tier. Yeah, giftcard and credit makes the deal sweeter, but at the end as I said coverage is not something advertised but felt just like hundreds of third tier customers. It really depends on what are your priorities, more money in your pocket or getting actually what you are ready to pay for!! 

xKen

@lostinspace wrote:

I would be skeptical for koodo coverage though. Will it be as good as PM?!! I don't know. Is it worth switching for an extra GB if you were on spring promo plan from PM?! May be not... coverage is something nobody advertises but its felt only after using.. so, may be learn more about people in your area using koodo then may be think about it.. I just love PM....

Like someone else said, Telus is the parent company of Koodo and Public Mobile, doubt it'll be much different.

Not only is it 1GB more, but I won't be locked into 90day renewal cycle. On top of that, there's a $180 bill credit. AAAAAND a gift card if I activate it at a physical store...

pku

@lostinspace

Koodo and PM are both owned by Telus. Whatever service you are getting for PM you would get the same for Koodo/Telus.

lostinspace
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would be skeptical for koodo coverage though. Will it be as good as PM?!! I don't know. Is it worth switching for an extra GB if you were on spring promo plan from PM?! May be not... coverage is something nobody advertises but its felt only after using.. so, may be learn more about people in your area using koodo then may be think about it.. I just love PM....

TCity

Anyone know when the Walmart gift card deal expires? And is it only offered on weekends? 

meocon

@xKen Yes you need to get a new phone for a gift card but you can use the gift card to pay off the tab later. migration offer is good for tab small $240 or tab medium $360 only. You can pay off the tab after 90 days or $10-$15 per month for 2 yrs

xKen

@meocon wrote:

@xKen you should try to activate at retail stores like Walmart, WOW, The Mobile Shop and Best Buy it’s faster than order from Koodo website before September 25. You can also get extra gift card on weekends deal from $100-$400 gift card. I’m activated a new line from Walmart last weekends for Koodo migration I saw Koodo system gave me $200 bill credit instead of $180 as well + $375 Gift Card + $30 activation fee waived for 2nd or 3rd bill + $50 bucks from friend referral + free 1000 international long distance minutes every month

You only get those gift cards if you're getting a new phone right? Meaning, you have to pay extra every month for 2 years.

Something like this?Something like this?

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Sign up some days before expirary just in case.  Due to system hiccup.  or something...

meocon

@xKen you should try to activate at retail stores like Walmart, WOW, The Mobile Shop and Best Buy it’s faster than order from Koodo website before September 25. You can also get extra gift card on weekends deal from $100-$400 gift card. I’m activated a new line from Walmart last weekends for Koodo migration I saw Koodo system gave me $200 bill credit instead of $180 as well + $375 Gift Card + $30 activation fee waived for 2nd or 3rd bill + $50 bucks from friend referral + free 1000 international long distance minutes every month

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@xKen, shipping forum discussion is the offer has been extended to September 27.  I would suggest not trying to time things to the last day.  One little delay and you end up with an expired account.  Online orders are backlogged avoid a week.  In store activation is immediate if you are willing to pay $30.

pku

Koodo will probably have better migration offers for black friday/christmas 

don't feel bad about missing out! 

xKen

@RobertQc wrote:
No one can say for sure... they usually don't last long but to get every drop out of your public mobile plan worth losing this deal? Is it worth the "risk"? if its an amazing deal go buy a pre paid card or borrow your moms / friend and hurry.

I keep getting koodo offers but don't want to switch.

Yeah, it's a really good deal...5GB for $35/month + $180 bill credits, my current Public Mobile plan is $111/90days for 12GB (aka $37/month for 4GB/month).

About borrowing credit card...I think need better friends lul

Why not switch?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@xKen wrote:

I've recently received a text saying "Due to popular demand, we are extending your offer for a limited time! Switch to Koodo...". Is there a specific date/time for this promo's extension?

I'm asking because:

1. My only credit card has been deactivated due to some fraud detection (Seems like I'm not the only one, for reference - "08/28/18, $6.86, braintreecharge com"). I'm trying to get it resolved.
  2. My renewal date for current Public Mobile plan is on the 26th, and I want to use it as much as I can before switching to Koodo.

Apparently Sept 27th but no guarentees on anything... they usually don't last long but to get every drop out of your public mobile plan worth losing this deal? Is it worth the "risk"? if its an amazing deal go buy a pre paid card or borrow your moms / friend and hurry.

I keep getting koodo offers but don't want to switch.

Need Help? Let's chat.