cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does US roaming add-on work, re phone number

esperanto41
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My cellphone number is in Nova Scotia. In July I will visit siblings in California & Oregon. If I get the US roaming add-on (to my $10/mo. plan), and they call me, or I call them, while I'm in their localities, does my NS phone number count as long distance for them or for me, outgoing or incoming?

19 REPLIES 19

@stonechucker wrote:

Mint Mobile may be another option to consider.  Looks a lot like the Public Mobile of the US.

They do have a lot if similarities! With a quick look at their web site (remember, we are talking a US plan here) they seem to have 3, 6 and 12 month prepaid plans,  unlimited talk and text and 3 data choices, 3, 8 or 12 Gb of LTE that drops to “2G like” 256 Kb. They have a refer a friend credit if $15 for each person $30 for your first referral only) but that looks to be it for potential ongoing credits. They do have a phone number to call if you have problems. 

A rough comparison between their 8Gb $35US 90 day plan and PM’s $50 Cdn 8.5Gb Plan doesn’t in my opinion make PM look too bad at current exchange rates. They do have faster full speed LTE data plus the unlimited slow data but no other monthly discounts. But they also have 6 and 12 month versions of their plans that are less expensive still.

Terry

@esperanto41  Ok, thanks for finding the “fine print” for me! That seems much more believable now. I like the idea of these endless data plans by slowing data WaY down as a way to get by for a few days if you’ve gone a bit crazy until then.

Terry

@GinYVR wrote:

@AE_CollectorIt is peering with TMobile the US equivalent of Freedom. They use band 66 and 71 to extend their coverage. Only high end phones the came out the last year eg iPhone XS, XR, Pixel 3 etc support band 71.

So you could have more areas with “No Service” but that is the price though it is very slow data after 1 Gb

Mint Mobile may be another option to consider.  Looks a lot like the Public Mobile of the US.

Carrier 4G LTE Bands Main Frequencies

AT&T2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 17, 29, 30, 661900, 1700 abcde, 700 bc
Verizon Wireless2, 4, 5, 13, 661900, 1700 f, 700 c
T-Mobile2, 4, 5, 12, 66, 711900, 1700 def, 700 a, 600
Sprint25, 26, 411900 g, 850, 2500

esperanto41

On the Amazon page:

Product description

$23 Plan included. Unlimited Talk, Text & Data (1 GB at 4G LTE speed) + Unlimited calls to 60 countries.

According to a Q&A on the Amazon page, 

Answer:
After 1GB will drop to 256kbps 

Another Q&A:

Answer:
I didn't use it long enough to find out. I would email the company--they seemed pretty responsive to my questions. 
By fishhead on November 21, 2018

@AE_CollectorIt is peering with TMobile the US equivalent of Freedom. They use band 66 and 71 to extend their coverage. Only high end phones the came out the last year eg iPhone XS, XR, Pixel 3 etc support band 71.

Lycamobile:

Unlimited talk, text and DATA? Really..unlimited data? Is there fine print I am missing?

Terry

esperanto41

Ah, this may be what the doctor ordered; thanks. I just hope the Lycamobile can get here in time, and works as advertised. Thanks. —Gene Keyes (esperanto41)

@esperanto41 wrote:

Thanks. 3 week visit. My original intent was to buy a local SIM. That's why I got a 2-slot cellphone, which proved to be a dud. I've just ordered a 1-slot Alcatel flip-phone, so I don't have to take my girlfriend's. I suppose I could switch out my Public Mobile SIM for something local. Would have ordered one by mail, but no-o-o-o, you need a US address. My brother would have taken me to his Walmart, but now he is last stop instead of first. Ergo, the Public Mobile add-on is the lesser evil.

Nothing is easy in cellphone-land. I have spent far far more time in the quicksand of choosing plans, and cellphones, and wrestling with Public Mobile, than I'll ever spend making a few calls on the cellphone... Smiley Frustrated

@esperanto41 There is a sim card called LycaMobile good for 1 month for $23 Unlimited Nationwide calling and text plus unlimited international calling including Canada so there are cheap options http://www.amazon.ca/Lycamobile-Preloaded-Sim-Card-Plan/dp/B072MY86LW/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?adgrpid=6265682....

@esperanto41 Well that's prepaid for you.. I wouldn't say it is a rip off as the price is marked on the SIM card holder, just like giftcards and they are the same almost everywhere (except places like Walmart, Sam's, Costcos etc).

esperanto41

Also, commenters on Trip Advisor said San Francisco Airport SIM prices are a ripoff, and I didn't want to have to go searching for one elsewhere on day one.

esperanto41

Thanks for the heads-up (re 24 hr. gap) and suggestions. As it happens, 10 days might be just enough, after which I'll be in the sibs' hands, whereas the first week I'm on my own in San Francisco area.

@esperanto41In all honesty a local prepaid AT&T SIM card is not that cheap. The best deal @Walmart will still runs you ~40USD / month. AT&T also sells a week's pass for about $20USD, it might give you more data but Public Mobile US Roaming is price competitive (when it is working).

The other option is Roam Mobility which should be available at quite a few places locally eg Staples before you travel https://roammobility.com/monthly-plans.

US have more competitive pricing on phones, but prepaid plans unless you settle for TMobile or Sprint.. is quite expensive. Post paid on the other hand you get a bit discount due to volume and cheaper prices on financing higher end phones but then you have to have credit history etc etc.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@esperanto41 you will face one problem  that is renewing your plan after it expires. It can take upto 24 hours before you are allowed to repurchase the 10 day plan.

Edit: why not have your brother send the sim to your hotel.  I have done that on many occasions. Just confirm with hotel first. 

You might want to check out roam mobility, or simply buy a sim when you arrive at airport or first city. 

@geopublic  the USA addons do not count against the 10$, 50 minute plans to my knowledge as they state unlimited Canada USA calling. 

esperanto41

Thanks. 3 week visit. My original intent was to buy a local SIM. That's why I got a 2-slot cellphone, which proved to be a dud. I've just ordered a 1-slot Alcatel flip-phone, so I don't have to take my girlfriend's. I suppose I could switch out my Public Mobile SIM for something local. Would have ordered one by mail, but no-o-o-o, you need a US address. My brother would have taken me to his Walmart, but now he is last stop instead of first. Ergo, the Public Mobile add-on is the lesser evil.

Nothing is easy in cellphone-land. I have spent far far more time in the quicksand of choosing plans, and cellphones, and wrestling with Public Mobile, than I'll ever spend making a few calls on the cellphone... Smiley Frustrated

esperanto41

Thanks. I suppose my calls will be outgoing, e.g., "I'm at the bus station."

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@esperanto41 wrote:

My cellphone number is in Nova Scotia. In July I will visit siblings in California & Oregon. If I get the US roaming add-on (to my $10/mo. plan), and they call me, or I call them, while I'm in their localities, does my NS phone number count as long distance for them or for me, outgoing or incoming?

@esperanto41  How long are you going down for? If you are on the $10/month plan I think you will be better served if you pickup a local prepaid sim card when you get down there.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@esperanto41 wrote:

If you purchase the US Roaming add-on you will have unlimited calling to the US and Canada while you are in the US.  For your siblings to call you they will still need to dial long distance to connect with you.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.