cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use so much data?

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Honest question, not meant to come across as cheeky, but I so often see people saying things like : I need at least 5gb per month, or I am constantly monitoring my data because I use it up so fast. With most homes and workplaces/schools having wifi, I'm curious what everyone's personal account is on how they use their data.

Switching to PM a few weeks ago was the first time I've ever had a data plan, and I still have yet to hit 100mb of usage. I've been using my data for iMessage, email, Google maps when I've been travelling, and some Web page browsing. Unless you are streaming videos all day I'm very curious what uses up everyone's data!

21 REPLIES 21

@Rustynayl Facebook is pretty much a poorly written virus Cat Surprised

Better to not leave that privacy violating ad pushing data wasting app off your phone 

Rustynayl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@kav2001c, you're absolutely right. It's not a need, it's a want. I don't NEED any data per month. If I did, it would be for work.. and if that were the case, i'd make work pay for my cell phone.

Downloading music onto a media device, using torrents, etc... all your workarounds defeat the whole purpose of having a friggin smartphone! Sorry but I didn't spend $900 on a phone so I can listen to the FM radio...lol

While we're at it, why don't we all just delete the facebook app since we can access FB on a computer. Basically, unless you need a phone for work, you don't need data. 

I avoid unneccessary data usage if possible. If I know i'm going to watch netflix or listen to something on Google Play Music, I will download for offline use while I'm at home.. but sometimes I'm on the bus, or out for a walk, and I want to listen to something I've never heard before.. it's nice to throw on a streaming music station and hear something new.

I could probably keep on rambling but I'll just shutup now. 🙂

As most of the thread responses have proven what I typed in first response

People burn data streaming useless things

Seriously

Downloading Netflix on your phone just so your office does not know what you are watching? (WHY are you trying to watch a movie or even a tv show in the first place??? If your job is so pointless/boring you can actually watch even 30 minutes uninterupted I really think you need a better job)

Streaming music because why? You can easily pay $10 for a removeable media card and load it with more music than you can possibly listen to in a lifetime. Plus the old school solutions of a car radio (many of which will play MP3 these days) or (gasp) just listen to FM or Satelite radio

None of these are realistic reasons for "needing" even 4GB per month

You may WANT it but really it is not a need

And for those who genuinely want to do things like stream without office knowing what they are doing, you could just as easily use TOR or if worried about spy software plug something in to the USB slot

Okay, so what you’re all telling me is because I turn off updates of apps over cellular data, I use the offline mode in Spotify somewhat regularly, and I choose to use my home WiFi over cellular data to stream HQ music and Video to my home audio and video equipment, I’m not using my data correctly?

12 GB over 90 days.  If my math is correct, that’s about 136.5 MB per day via cellular.

i don’t understand how anyone can justify this.  I just recently went over 4 GB at the end of my last cycle, and that was streaming tunein radio low quality audio at my desk, as I’m not permitted to stream media unless work related on the employer’s network, and my person device is not granted WiFi access.

Maybe I’m frugal.  Boy did I splurge when I doubled my data at no cost last year from 6GB over 90 to 12, for the same price!

wirelessfriend
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Two of my favourite apps are flipboard and instagram which chew up a lot of data!

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Also dont forget about those ugly timed updates that download all the time with /without your knowledge as well as those apps that force you to update everytime a new version is found, and you are not always home to do that 

@JDT wrote:

I think people need to distinguish "want" vs "need" when it comes to data...

Unless you use your phone for business/school purposes, I would argue that most people don't "need" a lot of data.  They just want a lot.

Yeah, okay celluar service does not bin well into either of food, fuel, shelter, clothing.  But it is still pretty important.  Of course, you can dissect the parts of the cellular usage that is really important from the frivolous.  We can debate this ad nauseam.  It becomes a real chore if the amount of usage in a plan is so small that we find ourselves having to ration every step of the way.  That is why you see most customers opting for a plan that give flexibility so that every bite of data used does not come with huge amounts self scrutiny/control. 

Rustynayl

@JDT wrote:

Unless you use your phone for business/school purposes, I would argue that most people don't "need" a lot of data.  They just want a lot.

True, but in this day and age everything works with our smartphones. Not only that, most of the good phones these days cost $1,000+ to purchase. If I'm going to spent $1k on a phone, I want to be able to use it for as many things as possible, and as often as possible.. I don't want be scared to use my phone because Data Manager has told me i've already gone over the daily limit. 

JDT

@luke11992, I ask the same question to myself in my head, everytime!

I do stream audio, BUT Spotify has a tool you can download HQ music to your device, and use it in 'offline' mode when not on data (WiFi or Cellular).  Only catch, you must reconnect in 30 days to use it, and to load/update/change selections.  I also don't choose to stream at Super HQ *if* I'm on cellular data, so it's small amounts of data.

I too do most data tasks on my phone at home on WiFi, as it's unlimited ($50 prepaid per month, 30 download spd / 5 up, YAY!!)... but I don't have access to WiFi at work for my personal device, and we're not allowed to stream media unless it's part of our job (don't ask...too many options to tell).

jeffster1970

I'm not always home, and my data on my iPhone at home is very high, but it's WiFi so no big issues.  My workplace is huge, so we have about 120 routers or so, but even then, you're constantly signing in, plus, do I really want my work to know what I'm doing?  Anyway, I'll download a movie or 2 a month on Netflix, to watch during lunch break. So maybe 700MB a month there (setting only uses about 350MB per 90 minutes). Listening to online music or podcasts, probably another MB/minute or so. If 1 hour a day 5x a week, that's 1.2GB per month. Watch a few youtube video's, a couple more GB's, then the standard stuff, browsing the web, checking email, etc, a couple more GB's.  When I was with Freedom, usually I could keep it to 5GB or less per month, otherwise they slow you. Sometimes I'd have a week or a little more to go, and already burned through 5GB and would have to puchase their $10 5GB add-on (I was on the BTS Plan)....the most I hit was 8GB. 

My last camping trip, we realized we didn't have a lot of music that everyone liked, which meant me downloading a couple stations from Apple, so that was like 1GB.  

Your attitude though, reminds me of myself a few years ago -- when I asked myself "How can people use 100's of GB per month for home internet?".   Then Netflix happened. Then everyone had a computer, smartphone, and updating these devices, quickly the 25GB plan I had was horrible, so I got 300GB -- eventually that was useless so now I'm unlimited. 

I think it boils down to what you want your phone to do, and how available WiFi is, and the dependability of that WiFi. 

If I was someone that rarely came close to 3 or 4GB there is absolutely no reason, and no way I would move to a more expensive service. I was paying $102+tax every 90 days for 12GB of service. You can't beat that, if 4GB is all you're using. However, I do have friends outside my province, and I'm a heavy user. I had hoped that Shaw's purchase of WIND would change things. And things are changing now. Freedom has iPhones with excellent plans to match. $5 more per month and I would be typing here with a brand new iPhone 8. Though Freedom's network still pales in comparison to the others, I think Rogers/Telus/Bell are feeling some pressure. 

I'm still checking up with PM because I'd expect them to have some sort of matching plan, but so far no. I do think in a short time, Canadians will have more competative plans, and I do believe we'll see an end to subsidized phones shortly. So plans will be plans, and phones will be an add-on, so a $1200 phone will cost you an extra $50/month + taxes (and interest, if any). 

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

You can use that much data easily, faster data means you changes websites more and load more stuff quickly meaning more data.

Premier league/ Champions league streams live on the bus to/from work eats data .

Work places has some policies on personal use of wifi network, going to work not to watch cute cats 

Work wifi might get a bit offline for constant maintenances especially on the weekends when I work.

University wifi Sometimes is just unusable .

And there are more options on how to use data, if you are too careful then you are not using your data as much as normal . 

My usage changes every plan sometimes I dont use half of it and sometimes I finish it faster then I though  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@luke11992, the only place I use wifi is at home.  When at home, the last device I want to use is my phone with its tiny little screen.  I gravitate to either the computer or the tablet.  When at work, I cannot use the company resources for things like social media, the net nanny gets really angry.  I will burn over a gig just on chrome browser in a 30 day period.  I don't do music streaming ever since I left Wind because PM does not have a FUP to bail me out if I hit my usage limit.  Without music, I have no problems staying within the 4 gig per month allotment. 

tod

@luke11992  It's like asking how can you spend so much money when you make so much, bottom line is you'd use more if you got more with pretty much anything in this world 🙂

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think the only thing saving me from blowing through all my data is the subway, because there is no signal during my commute to/from work Smiley Very Happy

But to answer your question, I know for a fact that instagram is a big offender in hogging up data. Spotify also chews about 100-200MB from me each day.

Rustynayl

@kav2001c wrote:

@Rustynayl regardless of WiFi... if you are IN your office why not do simple things (eg streaming Play Music or Youtube) on your work PC?

Besides using up your data you also would be killing your battery life while in an office

@kav2001cWe have policies in place that do not allow streaming. I am in an office of 4,000 employees. If everyone was streaming music / Youtube, our internet would be f#*ked.

Also, I have my charging cables here so battery life is no issue for me.

@ShawnC13 "should" hehe you funny man

Even excluding kids & seniors, half the adults can not figure out how their phones work (I seriously just saved someone last week who "accidently" enabled the 2 stage authentication for some unknown reason without understanding what the phone was asking them)

@Rustynayl regardless of WiFi... if you are IN your office why not do simple things (eg streaming Play Music or Youtube) on your work PC?

Besides using up your data you also would be killing your battery life while in an office

@luke11992, I think some people may not have data at home who knows and just use their phone.  I don't use half the data I have for my 90 days.

@kav2001c, for the updates people should just set it up to only do them while on wifi

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Rustynayl

My office doesn't have Wifi, so from Monday - Friday 6am - 5pm, I am connected to the LTE Network.

Looking at MyData Manager from November... I used 1.6GB on Youtube, 894MG on Chrome Browser, 446MB Facebook, 429MB on Nest (i have a few security cams I can watch), 266 MB Instragram, 259MB Google Play Music...

This isn't even much..as I spent a week in Mexico so there was no data usage...  and every now and then I subscribe to Play Music, so my data usage can be much higher due to streaming music. 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Video streaming chews up most people data limits

Only other issue is OS / app updates (Android is crap for this, every day it almost seems like)

Need Help? Let's chat.