cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tell if my plan is 3G or 4G LTE data?

Haayyeess
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Is there anyway I can tell if I currently have 3G or 4G LTE data?  When I look at my current plan, I just see 12GB of data.  I currently have an old 40$ plan, but I see the new 40$ plan offers slightly more data and canada-wide calling instead of provincial.

Thanks,

Brandon

6 REPLIES 6

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Haayyeess , I have the same legacy plan, aka 2016 fall promo.  The data speed is unthrottled LTE.  The current in market "3G speed plans" are also on the LTE network but data speed is throttled to 3 mbps up and down.

Rahulh2009
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Your plan is 3G. However I would say that you actually get the LTE band connectivity and accessibility shared with Telus network. The speeds are "Capped".  

I hope this answer is helpful. 

Irv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@gblackma That's a good way to know too! I didn't know about that. I just checked, and it does say the Data speed. Thank you for the tip! 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Haayyeess  if it doesn't say "at 3g speed" when you look at your account within your self service account, then it's 4g. Mine says 3g see below.

Screenshot_20200321-214124.jpg

Irv
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Haayyeess That's true, PM connect to the 4G network but can limit the data to 3G speed. One way to know if currently you have 3G or 4G LTE data, it's to make sure you are on data (data on, wifi off) and to search on internet "speed test". You should be able to test you data speed. If it's under 10mb/s, that should mean you have 3G data and it's above (maybe around 35mb/s),that should be 4G. This test uses data but with your current plan, that shouldn't be an issue.

You can post the result of that speed test. Maybe someone else would have another way to check, but that's what I use when I'm not sure. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I believe it maybe 4G.  Did you try a speedtest to measure it ?

https://www.speedtest.net/

Here is a previous thread comparing 3G vs 4G.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/3G-vs-LTE/m-p/248442

Need Help? Let's chat.