cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn off "Automatic Top-up" from happening?

patriciay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there any way to disable getting more data after my limit has been reached? I was under the impression that it would just stop but I was charged a "top-up".

27 REPLIES 27

@Kaleden 

Its all good. Drop by when you can you will learn a little more each time.

Kaleden

Thank you.  It was actually darlicious that reminded me to check the amount and I did give a Bravo.  Sorry if I didn’t do it correctly. I’m not on here often enough to know the procedure.  I was just looking for help. Thank you though 

Kaleden

Yes it did. Solved it. Thx for reply. 

Kaleden

No but I did add 1G data and had a $2 autopay credit plus $10 referral bonus so now I get it. Thank you. 

Kaleden

Solved - Had added 1G data but had $2 autopay credit, plus $10 referral credit. Thank you. 

Kaleden

Solved - Thank you. I added 1G data mid month. I had a $2 autopay credit, plus $10 referral bonus =$3. Makes sense now.  Thank you for the help! 

@Kaleden 

Is there any chance you did a $3 manual top up?

@Kaleden 

There's scheduled maintenance tonight. Does the credit card charge show PUBLIC MOBILE?

Kaleden

Possibly. It won’t let me log on right now to check. Renewal date was April 28 but I was charged the $3 plus tax on April 11th. Next billing date is May 27.  Checked the $3 charge online plus my credit card which included the tax.   
I was concerned it will keep charging me as it still shows as an added option. Hopefully no. That is what I thought the $3 was.  Will watch the billing. Thank you. 

@Kaleden 

There shouldn't be a mid month charge and there are no $3 "purchases". Are you on the $15 plan? Could that be your first renewal minus the $10 bonus referral credit and your $2 autopay reward? $15-$10=$5-$2=$3 automatic top up (autopay charging your card for the balance owing to renew to your $15 plan.)

@Kaleden 

There are no overages, extra billing or hidden fees at public mobile. Autopay will only attempt to charge your card once for your plan amount minus any rewards and account balances. All other charges to the card on file are done manually by the account holder or someone the account holder has given access to it.

Are you looking at your payment history in your account or your credit card billing? Your card will show plan amounts + tax whereas your account will show amounts without tax.

Edit: When you use up all your plan data it does just stop unless you have purchased an add on. They continue to roll over each month supplementing plan data until the add on is completely consumed.

Kaleden

Wait. I am searching for a solution to a similar problem but I was actually charged an additional $3 plus tax mid month on top of my regular renewal!  I noticed on my usage it does show WEB use that day so am worried about being billed for data overages.  This is for a plan I bought for

my sister in hospital so she doesn’t know if she goes over. I assumed the data would just stop.  Any idea why the extra $3?  Concerned it may keep happening. I did add 1G of data for $15 last month but she used that up pretty quickly. I hope that didn’t leave it open to charge my card all the time. Any ideas?   Thx.  

@hairbag1  you did provide a solution on how to "un-solution" an old one..   🤣

@patriciay....

don't assign Solution to me, but click the 3 little dots on top right side of your post. You can edit it then. Look for EDIT REPLY after clicking those dots

patriciay

sorry I'm trying to give you a the "solution" statue... but don't see any way to change or add.

patriciay

oops sorry, i there a way to remove/rectify this?

@patriciay....we're glad you've figured out what you thought was automatic data top-up is actual regular plan renewal fees.....as initially suggested by @Anonymous .

The usual Community practice is to award the "Solution" to whomever initially provides you with the best answer to your question, rather than yourself. I'm sure it would make that Community member happy to know you acknowledge their contribution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@patriciay : One is autopay, the other is a manual payment. But maybe they've changed some wording.

patriciay

Yes, I think even if public had used the words "Auto-Pay" that would avoid confusion.

This was my first time running out of data. Then to see "Automatic Top-Up/Réapprovisionnements auto." when the last time the text said "Credit/Visa Debit TopUp-Réapprov crédit/Visa Débit" I was confused.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@patriciay : Correct. It's autopay. You renewed.

patriciay

I've been on Public for months. Old provider not an issue and the charge on my credit card was from/named Public Mobile.

That being said, I think I understand what the charge means:

I think it is the "Automatic Top-up" of funds from my credit card. So it is for the regular monthly fees less credits for friend referrals (which are new). Top-up sounds like I'm topping up my service. They should say Payment Processed or Funds Added.

All is good now. Thanks for your responses! 

@patriciay wrote:

Definitely not just a monthly fee. The charge on my account says "Automatic Top-Up/Réapprovisionnements auto."

I did not log in to my account and purchase a top up. Is there any way that the top-up could have been purchased by turning data back on the phone after it ran out?

Do you have more than 1 cell phone provider ? When you run outta data here ...it just stops until next renewal. Can you double check your bank statement to see if a different cell provider charged you (Lucky Mobile maybe ?). ...Then let us know.

@patriciay no. there is no auto top up at all.

Logon to Self-Serve and check the Payment->Transaction HIstory to see what it says

patriciay

Definitely not just a monthly fee. The charge on my account says "Automatic Top-Up/Réapprovisionnements auto."

I did not log in to my account and purchase a top up. Is there any way that the top-up could have been purchased by turning data back on the phone after it ran out?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Data would automatically stop once you reach your limit.  You either have to purchase a data add-on or renew early to obtain more data.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@patriciay  no automatic top up with PM. 

One thing people like with Prepaid service is that there is no surprise billing.  No auto top-up.  You have to manually add fund and buy add-ons if you have used up data or minutes.  

Any chance someone else has access to the account and added it?  Or as @Anonymous said, it just happen to be a new cycle ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@patriciay : Are you sure your renewal didn't just happen? Remember this place is 30 days...not a set day every month. I've never heard of any automatic re-purchase of data.

Need Help? Let's chat.