cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make call or use data if already pass the limit of my plan?

tigerwang1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I'm on $15 plan, how can I go on to make call or use data after I exceed the voice or data limit under the plan? Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

tyedye00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can also use Whatsapp to call/send messages over WiFi.

Also FaceTime or Google Duo or Skype on WiFi for video chat.

chss
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You can buy add-ons

JC29
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Without purchasing add-ons first, there is no way to use past your limits of your plan.  Public Mobile is a pre-paid kind of service so it prevents you from over-using any of your allotments.  If you are regularly going over the allotted minutes and data of your plan, it might be a good idea to upgrade plans.  It would probably be cheaper too.

@tigerwang1  Go back into your account and look at the add ons carefully. You will see the $5/500min Canada wide calling add on. To add it you must have or load $5 onto your account balance . Then you can choose the add on and submit the payment to purchase it. It will then appear on your overview page underv"My plan and add ons". It will stay on your account until you use up all of your minutes...in one day or one year. It will only kick in once you use up your plan minutes. Once your plan renews it will not be used until you use up your 100 plan minutes....and so on.... Wait until tomorrow's announcement to see what secret santa Dave puts in our stockings. Maybe it will be 1gb of data add ons....then you can decide if you need to upgrade to the $25 plan or just be conservative with your mobile data usage.

tigerwang1

Do you seriously mean they would possibly lower the 25 to 20, and 15 to 10? Or... just a wish?  😄

Hi @tigerwang1 

textNow is free, they run ads in the app, they don't load outside of the app ever. You can also pay to get rid of the ads. If you travel to USA a lot Ave have access to credit card with USA address, you can also get their sim, they don't charge any roaming in USA have unlimited talk and text for 10, very reasonable rates for data, the most expensive unlimited data is $40. They are Canadian company based in Waterloo

When you go into your data usage you will be able to toggle it off and on. You can also find it in the settings/apps/TextNow

@AE_Collector I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It would be even nicer if they just made it dirt cheap. But if it was 10 almost nobody would go for 25 plan, they would be forced to make it 20 to get some attention.

I'm really excited and hopeful about that announcement.

tigerwang1

Thank you! Does TextNow charge? How do you restrict the background data for their app please?

@tigerwang1 wrote:

You can switch to a plan with more data as soon as you run out of data as one option.

---Thank you, but if I change plan, it won't be activated until next term, right? So if I just want to keep using data in this term, I can only buy add-on.. Actually I did not find any voice or data add-on, I just found they have international calls add-on.

@tigerwang1 

If you want, you could change plans immediately to higher data plan. PM will not pro-rate your plan though, so you will lose whatever is remaining in your present plan.  It actually might be cheaper to change plans immediately.  

The data add on is expensive:

$30 for 1 GB, $8 for 200 mb.  

You can use the long distance calling add on for Canada wide calling or buy the $5 for 500 Canada wide minutes add on.  

@tigerwang1 wrote:

You can switch to a plan with more data as soon as you run out of data as one option.

---Thank you, but if I change plan, it won't be activated until next term, right? So if I just want to keep using data in this term, I can only buy add-on.. Actually I did not find any voice or data add-on, I just found they have international calls add-on.

@tigerwang1  You can select for a plan change to take effect immediately without having to wait for your next plan renewal.

PM offers a calling addon that is Canada Wide calling 500 minutes for $5.

You choose when changing plans whether you want to change immediately or at next renewal. So, if you just ran out of data and you think you should switch to the $25/1Gb plan, do the immediate change. This tosses out any remaining days you had butbifboutbofvdata, probably a good way to go. As mentioned, you can also renew your existing plan immediately but you have to get the moderators to do that for you. Switching plans is easier if it works for you.

PM gave all existing customers a 1Gb data add-on a few months ago. Always a chance they are going to do that again... maybe tomorrow! (?)

AE_Collector

tigerwang1

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@tigerwang1 wrote:

If I'm on $15 plan, how can I go on to make call or use data after I exceed the voice or data limit under the plan? Thanks!

@tigerwang1  if you are constantly going over your minutes and data then consider moving up to the $25 plan. Otherwise use addons as a backup measure already covered in the first post above.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @tigerwang1 

You also have an option of renewing early, but for that you need moderators help, you will have to click on the question mark and type 'talk to human' until Simon lets you.

If you are constantly going over the limit and find yourself short of either data or minutes half way through it may be worth thinking of switching to 25 plan.

I would also suggest you restrict background data and keep data off most of the time.

I use textNow with my 15 plan, it gives me another free Canadian number and unlimited talk and text to while North America. If I restrict background data for their app it uses about 25-30 megs monthly.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

For calling out, purchase the $5 - 500 minute Canada calling add-on. 1c per minute and it is only used after you use up your initial 100 minutes of calling out. Then the remainder remains on your account ready to take over again in the future if needed. 

Data is the same, buy a data add-on except it is nowhere near as reasonable in price as the voice add-on. 1Gb data add-on is $30 and like the Canada calling add-on it remains on your account until used up. So, not too bad if you rarely run out of data. You need to have the right plan up front and use wifi if you run out of data. You can switch to a plan with more data as soon as you run out of data as one option.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.