cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are rewards calculated?

katiatall
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I know that this "How are rewards calculated?" subject has been in focus before with no results ------ but why the secrecy?

30 REPLIES 30

I posted in other thread as well since I got pulled in here

Something is off with these posters (or poster with multi accounts)

Randomly bravo-ing posts from years ago

Discussing ability to block bravos and comments

And now discussing rewards and whether they should be scrapped

@ShawnC13 wrote:

There is no time to police it.  It becomes blatantly obvious very quickly as an Oracle I ask for it to stop if it doesn't it gets pushed up the chain.  The part in bold is what is wrong with your thinking. This is PM'S business model and had been for a long time and it isn't a game

In some ways, I do think the Community and the rewards are a bit of a game in the sense that is a social game.  I don't really mean that as a bad thing either.

I think that we tend to bravo those who we see most often in the threads and those we've had conversations with before.  You quickly get a sense who is really trying to help and who is just posting random thoughts that don't address the questions asked.

I feel that those who may be playing the "bravo game" are just sabotaging themselves.  A large part of the Community Rewards system is based on the reputation that you have here.  If others feel that any particular user is just BSing, those people aren't going to get those coveted bravos from regular members.

It's only natural people are going to bravo each other when they have in-deppth conversations with each other and discuss matters on this board.  It's only natural that some people on these discussions forums are going to know each other, or will have even have met each other through these forums, and the back-and-forth bravoing will naturally continue.  However, I think it's a little different if 2 people know each other ahead of time, and there could end up being a problem if there are examples of a "hi, how are you thread" with 2 people talking about the bright blue sky for 50 messages bravoing each other for each post.

But as I said, I think that if people really does want to play that type of "game", let them.  I believe that if users want to waste time doing something like that, I would hope that they would soon realize that there are hundreds of community members who hold many more bravos to give out then 1 or 2 people who might be trying to game in favor or each other.

If people are going to spend that much time to try to play the "game", might as well just try to legitimately help out.  They'll get much more bravos and rewards that way.

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

OK then - this also makes sense. Sooo if this rewards thing has so many loopholes then why not scrap it altogether?   Members can then use this forum like any other help forum to get help and exchange ideas etc..

@ShawnC13 wrote:

There aren't loopholes, it is a system that works except for when we have people trying to exploit it which seems to happen once or twice a year but they get caught and it can lead to everyone involved having their posting abilities being revoked and therefore not eligible at all for rewards.

Now how do you realy know if many exploit the system and never get caught? 

Some may and get $1 it $2 but those that get a bigger reward it is obvious when you click the profile and see how the Bravo's are distributed.  You are right though I do care about the integrity of the community.  As for idle time not really just check in see if I can help and look for any additional issues that maybe going on

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

yiatioxi-ok

Right on!!!  This rewards thing has so many loopholes so why not scrap it altogether ?   This rewards program has flaws, is causing aggravation and does take up the Oracles time trying to police it. Some members, like perhaps myself, don't really care about the $1 or $2 but just enjoy the game. Members should be able to use this forum like any other help forum to get help and exchange ideas and give Bravos without the fear of being called a cheat just because they bravod too much or what have you.

There is no time to police it.  It becomes blatantly obvious very quickly as an Oracle I ask for it to stop if it doesn't it gets pushed up the chain.  The part in bold is what is wrong with your thinking. This is PM'S business model and had been for a long time and it isn't a game

But you for one seem to have so much time and is inadvertently helping the "gamers" get and give Bravos which make this a time passing comic relief game. I have no doubt that you are a nice straight shooter person that is caught up in all this nonsense. I hope that this game is not upsetting you, but because I suspect that it may, I will end this back and forth and wish you a happy thanks giving day.

yiatioxi-ok

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

OK then - this also makes sense. Sooo if this rewards thing has so many loopholes then why not scrap it altogether?   Members can then use this forum like any other help forum to get help and exchange ideas etc..

@ShawnC13 wrote:

There aren't loopholes, it is a system that works except for when we have people trying to exploit it which seems to happen once or twice a year but they get caught and it can lead to everyone involved having their posting abilities being revoked and therefore not eligible at all for rewards.

Now how do you realy know if many exploit the system and never get caught? 

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@RobertQc wrote: But whats the friggen point in trying to get $1 or $2 or $5 more dollors. Be helpful and you will be reward. Thats it.

Right on!!!  This rewards thing has so many loopholes so why not scrap it altogether ?   This rewards program has flaws, is causing aggravation and does take up the Oracles time trying to police it. Some members, like perhaps myself, don't really care about the $1 or $2 but just enjoy the game. Members should be able to use this forum like any other help forum to get help and exchange ideas and give Bravos without the fear of being called a cheat just because they bravod too much or what have you.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

yiatioxi-ok

@RobertQc wrote: But whats the friggen point in trying to get $1 or $2 or $5 more dollors. Be helpful and you will be reward. Thats it.

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@katiatall wrote:

With respect I will point out that the Bravo examples given were selective and do not show an accurate picture.  Persons give Bravos to posts they agree with or find useful— By the negative criticism given , the cats out of the bag, because it is now clear that rewards are given based in part  as to Bravos given and received. Just perhaps given rewards based on Bravos is a flaw in the system and should be reviewed. My suggestion could be  to limit rewards given only to members that give solutions to the best of their knowledge.

This would not work an example is when you chose a solution that want even possible but was posted by someone that shares your IP.  What good is rewarding someone for posting wrong information but because it was too the best of their knowledge it is ok. That doesn't help anybody

There aren't loopholes, it is a system that works except for when we have people trying to exploit it which seems to happen once or twice a year but they get caught and it can lead to everyone involved having their posting abilities being revoked and therefore not eligible at all for rewards

yiatioxi-ok

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@katiatall wrote:

With respect I will point out that the Bravo examples given were selective and do not show an accurate picture.  Persons give Bravos to posts they agree with or find useful— By the negative criticism given , the cats out of the bag, because it is now clear that rewards are given based in part  as to Bravos given and received. Just perhaps given rewards based on Bravos is a flaw in the system and should be reviewed. My suggestion could be  to limit rewards given only to members that give solutions to the best of their knowledge.

This would not work an example is when you chose a solution that want even possible but was posted by someone that shares your IP.  What good is rewarding someone for posting wrong information but because it was too the best of their knowledge it is ok. That doesn't help anybody

@katiatall wrote:

Just perhaps if members knew what positive activity would be rewarded then they would strive do just that and not make a circus of this forum.

You and the group you share an IP address with are the ones making a circus of the forum .All posting similar questions then answering them. Why not just talk face to face when you all live together

@katiatall wrote:

@katiatall wrote:

Rewards are usually given to encourage positive activities.  Bravos are just — well  Bravos and no reason to be rewarded. 

It's not that difficult to look at the "top contributors" post each month, and look at active participants for the last month, use their 1%, 5%, 10%, etc and compare it with the number of bravo's and solutions and posts of those groups and come up with your own calculation.

You have the answer, you just need to make the formula at which they came up with the answer. It's really not hard if you pay attention and spend a little time each month.  Microsoft excel is a heck of a program.

But whats the friggen point in trying to get $1 or $2 or $5 more dollors. Be helpful and you will be reward. Thats it.

katiatall

Rewards are usually given to encourage positive activities.  Bravos are just — well  Bravos and no reason to be rewarded. 

@katiatall wrote:

Just perhaps if members knew what positive activity would be rewarded then they would strive do just that and not make a circus of this forum.

It's quite simple.

1) Bravo posts that are helpful.

2) Make posts that are helpful (which will get you bravo's and solutions)

Thats it.

katiatall

@katiatall wrote:

It has always been stated that Bravos do play a part in the reward system.  My examples were selected from your top 10 people you have given Bravos to.  Your top 2 have a combined 189 posts and you have bravo'd them 39 times.  Number 8 and 9 in your top 10 have 16,735 posts but only 6 were helpful enough to Bravo.  I guess we need your top 2 people to participate more as they seem to help WAY more than two of the most respected and helpful posters in the community.

katiatall

@katiatall wrote:

In addition to my previous complaint about you — just you saying sorry does not justify your arrogance in assuming you have the right to go against members privacy rules by posting naming and publicizing their forum names and number of posts.  I suggest that you try to control your desire to be a forum bully because after all your not even a moderator and just a person with too much idle time.

Nothing that I posted is private and every member of the forum can easily see all of this.  There is no special access required to see any of what I have posted.  I am not a forum Bully, just tired of the way some people treat the community and the reward system here.

@katiatall wrote:

I don’t keep track of the Bravos I have given

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@katiatall, it is kept a secret so there is no gaming of the system for the rewards and you have been told this before.

You have given @ohitora 20 Bravos and they have 120 posts

You have given @yiatioxi-ok 19 Bravo's and they have 69 posts

You have given @will13am (the all-time Bravo leader) 3 Bravo's and he has 7714 posts

You have given @srlawren, 3 bravos and he has 9016 Posts

Sorry srlawren for using you in the example but it was just perfectly obvious why the formula is kept secretive

So I can see why they keep it a secret

but I think your examples are — well Trump like - fake news-  and is a direct attack. 

Ok how is this fake news?  I have posted screen shots and taken the numbers directly from there.  Please tell me how this is fake news?

katiatall

In addition to my previous complaint about you — just you saying sorry does not justify your arrogance in assuming you have the right to go against members privacy rules by posting naming and publicizing their forum names and number of posts.  I suggest that you try to control your desire to be a forum bully because after all your not even a moderator and just a person with too much idle time.

@katiatall wrote:

And your point is?

Suspicion.  How do you explain the lopsided application of bravos?  Have you heard of neighborhood watch programs.  We have one here.  You don't have to like @srlawren or myself, but shameless self promotions are detectable. 

katiatall

I don’t keep track of the Bravos I have given

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@katiatall, it is kept a secret so there is no gaming of the system for the rewards and you have been told this before.

You have given @will13am (the all-time Bravo leader) 3 Bravo's and he has 7714 posts

Sorry srlawren for using you in the example but it was just perfectly obvious why the formula is kept secretive

but I think your examples are — well Trump like - fake news-  and is a direct attack. 

I had 9 notifications this morning all from one user this morning bravo and kudos.   I have one friend referral, and he doesn't even participate in the community.

I just help out because I like to.  I'm also pretty critical of issues that have been around for 2 years. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@katiatall wrote:

I know that this "How are rewards calculated?" subject has been in focus before with no results ------ but why the secrecy?

Hmmm I wonder why all the secrecy around how rewards are awarded.  Are we going to go through this again?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Rewards/BRAVO-all-positive-and-helpful-Posts/m-p/2473...

ETA I forgot this thread https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-does-one-customize-their-avatar/t...

From your friend Ohitora

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Bravo-Abuse/m-p/247322#M72316

These are Bravos received

received Katiatall.PNG

I bet if we were to go through the top three in the picture above it would look very similar to this.

Now the Bravos you have given and for someone that says they Bravo everyone or was that Ohitaro can't remember I get your accounts mixed up it doesn't seem that you do.

Given Katiatall.PNG 

Read, help, bravo the good stuff, and in general participate.  Do it a little, do it a lot.

Just help everyone make it enjoyable.

Shapla001

@srlawren wrote:

@katiatall wrote:

@katiatall I'm assuming you're referring the community reward?  I believe that the explaination we have received in the past is to not encourage/enable people to game the system.  In other words, if you knew the weighting formula favoured a certain type of activity, you might try to do mostly that, and a lot of it, in order to try to artificially inflate your relative ranking and thus your reward payout.  I think the thought is that keeping the criteria unknown encourages us all to just be helpful and see what happens.  Basically.

Totally agreed. If the formula is known, only heavy weitage items will have participation. This in a way hampers the growth in the community

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@katiatall wrote:

@katiatall I'm assuming you're referring the community reward?  I believe that the explaination we have received in the past is to not encourage/enable people to game the system.  In other words, if you knew the weighting formula favoured a certain type of activity, you might try to do mostly that, and a lot of it, in order to try to artificially inflate your relative ranking and thus your reward payout.  I think the thought is that keeping the criteria unknown encourages us all to just be helpful and see what happens.  Basically.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ohitora

It's classified information not be be discussed

@katiatall wrote:

yiatioxi-ok

Rewards are determined using a secret formula known only to aliens

@katiatall wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.