cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are Text Messages Counted?

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I joined only three days back (Oct 28, 2018) with a $10 plan that allows me 50 outgoing  and unlimited incoming text messages. I haven't sent any — not even one — text message since the day I signed in but my usage today shows having sent 11 messages.

Any ideas how would that show up?

@CS_Agent

43 REPLIES 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

This member should contact the mods.  They deserve to get what they have paid for just like any other customer.  Mods have reset SMS counts for others.  To have your amount reduced by 20% before you even send anything isn't fair to the customers. 

Look at me mister anti-corporation defending the corporation 🙂

And I don't think it was right to have set that precedent. Goodwill to do with the business or of course a mistake fine. But not when it isn't their responsibility.

And the problem with not suggesting it to people now due to long lines isn't fair to them due to those that *did* get the unwarranted benefit.

So this kind of goodwill shouldn't've been started to begin with.

Customer pm's the mods complaining about this problem. The mods gently explain well actually it's your phone that did all that. Should we be responsible for that? The customer should agree well no. And away they go.

A notice somewhere during activation maybe warning of this possibility but of course who reads anything.

@mimmo wrote:

I am just going by experience from reading post  about the subject. stating mods have reset usage.  if that is a course of action the poster wants to take then they are free to ask. 

I do agree that someone who has had no service for 4 days should have higher priority, but the system is not designed that way and everyone has a right to mods for their own particular needs.

If a policy/official word comes out saying sms will not be reset for these situations then the advice will change.  But until then It is up to the original poster to decide what they want to do.

You know that something like this will never be written down.  If so, it would be a term of service and not goodwill.  I do agree that all customers are free to take whatever action they want or deem appropriate.  I am talking about making certain suggestions to add congestion to a long line up for something that is not part of the terms of service. 

@will13am wrote:

@dna2016 wrote:

@sa7375 that is very odd.  If you haven't actually sent an outgoing text then there shouldn't be any outgoing count.  Definitely recommend getting in touch with the MODS.  This is the first I've heard of this type of situation.  Hopefully one of the oracles has seen something like this and can provide some insight.  

You do realize there are sync features in both iOS and android that cause SMS to be sent without the user knowing it.  Just because the user didn't send it, that doesn't mean the phone didn't send it automatically.  I would suggest not clogging the moderator team inbox with frivolous investigations.  There is nothing wrong with the usage meter. 

With respect to the question of how usage on the $10 plan is metered, this thread OP explains everything.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

This member should contact the mods.  They deserve to get what they have paid for just like any other customer.  Mods have reset SMS counts for others.  To have your amount reduced by 20% before you even send anything isn't fair to the customers. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it was ridiculous of them to even give some goodwill for that. It's not their problem or fault. Goodwill on something of the business or a mistake ok. But not when the device is doing its own thing.

I would go hunting around trying to figure out why the device does that and find "oh it just does.. rats... well then that's not the fault of the provider" and carry on and suck it up.

I think it is good business practice to offer goodwill.  If you tell customers universally too bad so sad, you will upset many and those customers will tell their friends and family about the negative experience.  Goodwill is part of the toolset to attract and retain customers. 

In this particular case, we are talking about a situation where the customer service portal is clogged with requests, many from customers with no service.  Counselling customers to stand in the same line up as customers with no service to ask for goodwill is not a good idea.  What I would do is explain to customers what happened, but I would not specifically mention seeking goodwill.  I would behave differently if say moderator response time was back to a day or less.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it was ridiculous of them to even give some goodwill for that. It's not their problem or fault. Goodwill on something of the business or a mistake ok. But not when the device is doing its own thing.

I would go hunting around trying to figure out why the device does that and find "oh it just does.. rats... well then that's not the fault of the provider" and carry on and suck it up.

Edit: And it's really the same as unknown data usage. "What hey how come I ran out of data?! Oh...my phone did all kinds of things or my apps did some updates". Same thing. Not the fault of the provider.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I prefer a first come first serve approach. That way you're not prioritizing customers, especially the high paying ones.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I am just going by experience from reading post  about the subject. stating mods have reset usage.  if that is a course of action the poster wants to take then they are free to ask. 

I do agree that someone who has had no service for 4 days should have higher priority, but the system is not designed that way and everyone has a right to mods for their own particular needs.

If a policy/official word comes out saying sms will not be reset for these situations then the advice will change.  But until then It is up to the original poster to decide what they want to do.

@mimmo wrote:

Its definatly a common issue especially with iphones.  look at your usage history ans check what number the sms are sent to. you can even google that number.  

mods have been pretty good about resetting usage from these automatic sms.  you just need to ask them .  expecta  72+ hour delay at the moment

To be fair to Public Mobile and affected customer(s), and in respect of the ever so scarce moderator team resource, I think asking for legitimate usage to be forgiven isn't something we should condone universally.  I would like to see someone who has been without service for 4 days to have it restored than to have a customer get 10 SMS back out of goodwill.  Sorry, this may be unpopular, but it is the right thing to do. 

@dna2016 wrote:

@sa7375 that is very odd.  If you haven't actually sent an outgoing text then there shouldn't be any outgoing count.  Definitely recommend getting in touch with the MODS.  This is the first I've heard of this type of situation.  Hopefully one of the oracles has seen something like this and can provide some insight.  

You do realize there are sync features in both iOS and android that cause SMS to be sent without the user knowing it.  Just because the user didn't send it, that doesn't mean the phone didn't send it automatically.  I would suggest not clogging the moderator team inbox with frivolous investigations.  There is nothing wrong with the usage meter. 

With respect to the question of how usage on the $10 plan is metered, this thread OP explains everything.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Plan-updates-new-10-limited-talk-and-te...

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Its definatly a common issue especially with iphones.  look at your usage history ans check what number the sms are sent to. you can even google that number.  

mods have been pretty good about resetting usage from these automatic sms.  you just need to ask them .  expecta  72+ hour delay at the moment

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

iPhone, or Android (or other) ??

iMessage and the stock Google Dialer like to 'phone home' to setup information with your cellular device.  This should stop happening within a few days on either platform.

You can turn off the Google Dialer's security to send SMS in the app settings I believe - I've not done this as I'm on unlimited texting option.

Need Help? Let's chat.