cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible calling service in the US Roaming

pbaner3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was recently in the US and bought unlimited calling and texting in the US and Canada and data roaming add-on. The data and texting services were fine but the calling services was terrible. Whether calling a number in Canada or the U.S., the call would disconnect every one minute. It was terrible. This makes me want to cancel Public Mobile and switch to Koodo since I travel to the US often. Please suggest if I should do that?

3 REPLIES 3

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just want to point out, the roaming networks you can access in the US with Public Mobile are exactly the same with Koodo, or any carrier within the Telus family, since it’s just agreements all set up with Telus only.

I personally find AT&T provides better coverage (disclaimer: wasn’t using a Public Mobile or AT&T SIM but another roaming SIM that was free to use completely...) but obviously it’s ymmv depending on location or congestion of towers but you can freely switch between AT&T and T-Mobile and see which suits you better.

jluong9
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It was a hit or miss for me. I tried out the $60 Unlimited talk and text with 2.5GB of roaming data and found that coverage varied location to location. Service is usually great in the bigger cities and once you start getting on smaller freeways, reception started getting weaker.

I found that manually selecting a carrier sometimes worked better than others. Sometimes I would have to just restart my phone and that worked as well. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@pbaner3 wrote:

I was recently in the US and bought unlimited calling and texting in the US and Canada and data roaming add-on. The data and texting services were fine but the calling services was terrible. Whether calling a number in Canada or the U.S., the call would disconnect every one minute. It was terrible. This makes me want to cancel Public Mobile and switch to Koodo since I travel to the US often. Please suggest if I should do that?

@pbaner3  PM has roaming agreements in the US with T-Mobile and AT&T. If your device connects to one and you have issues then as others mentioned you can try manually try to connect to the other provider to see if things are better. PM plans and/or roaming add-ons have no control over US network providers and their networks. Maybe it was a one off. Before you decide to go with Koodo check to see who they have a roaming agreement with. Smiley Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.