cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher data needed for same plan price

Icyprincess
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

it'd be super amazing if public mobile would offer 15gb instead of 8gb/mon. I have talked to other  ChatR customers and some long term users are receiving 15 gb/mon.

I've been with this phone company for quite some time and I truly love the service but if I have to switch companies due to my data service being to low considering the amount of time and money I put into my services, would be without a doubt a crying shame. 

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

14 REPLIES 14

@Icyprincess 

Consider this the next time pm offers both a bonus referral credit and a second thirty days free promotion. If you have dual SIM phone you refer yourself and activate the new sim halfway thru your cycle so on a $50 plan you can split the 8.5gb of data between two cycles adding approximately 4.25gb to each of your two cycles. If the referral bonus is $20 +$10 regular referral credit+$50 free 30 day credit=$80 credits. You can keep your second account at the $50/8.5gb and suspend it for 30days and unsuspend it and reactivate bridging it for the following 2-30 day cycles. Repeat the process and add $20 more and youll be able to have access to 12.75 gb of data per 30 days for six 30 day cycles. For a cost of $70 or about $11.70 month you will have access to an additional 4.25gb. Added to your current plan cost you have a DIY $61.70/12.75gb plan with 2×$2 autopay +$1 referral reward your averaged 30 day plan cost would be $57.70.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AE_Collector 

Knowing how Telus manages PM from a provider for southern ON and QC only provider to an Canada wide provider, I wish Telus got the Mobilicity too. 

Rogers created ChatR to compete with Mobilicity and Wind.  Therefore, ChatR has the same 5 zones as Mobilicity and Wind.  When Rogers moved the Mobilicity subscribers to ChatR with the same 5 zones.  I stayed with ChatR because of the 8x $10/m autopay credit.  ChatR autopay $10 was added to my account.  But autopay will not use the available fund in my account to pay my monthly bill.  Autopay always takes enough money to pay for my monthly.  ChatR is using the available fund to pay for pay-per-use.  I always had my data disabled because I do not want the data pay-per-use charge when I am driving on Alberta highway.  I disabled my autopay after collect the $80 credit.  Without autopay, ChatR started to take the available fund in my account to pay for my monthly fee.  Then, ChatR gave me 30 days notice to raise my plan for $5/m.  That was the last straw on the camel's back.  Timing was perfect as I used all the $80 credit.  I switched to Zoomer Wireless which is also on Rogers Network.  With LTE data, I am getting data inside big box stores and no zones.  After the switch, I was paying only $1 more than the ChatR after the $5 increase.  I voted with my wallet.  I am borrowing this phrase from an Oracle on this community who uses this phrase often.

I was not with PM yet when PM tried to raise the PM plan price a few years ago. You all know what was the result.  

@popping 

Great info...thanks.

Telus came SO close to buying Mobilicity. They tried several times with long delays by the CRTC to make a decision. Then Rogers jumped in at the perfect moment and upped the offer just as the okay arrived from the CRTC and they walked off with Mobilicity. I had almost set up a Mobilicity plan I was so certain that Telus was taking them over. It was very frustrating to me as a TELUS employee watching how it went down.

AE_Collector

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Icyprincess 

I was with ChatR from Mobilicity after Rgoers put us with ChatR.  I left ChatR after used all the autopay credit because of the following issues:

1.  ChatR autopay does not use any fund in your account to pay for your monthly fee.  This is because ChatR has pay-per-use.  If you are not careful with your usage, your fund in your account will be sucked dry with the pay-per-use charges.  You have been with PM for couple of years.  You know PM will not charge you extra.

2.  ChatR is using 3G singal only.  3G signal on Rogers network is not good.  I was not getting any 3G data in big box stores like RCSS, HD etc. I was on ChatR 6GB plan and I only used less than 1GB data per month because I was not able to use data when I need data at the most - i.e inside big box stores. For PM, we are allowed to switch between 3G or LTE capped at 3Mbps.  

I thought Chatr had “unlimited data”, IE: when you use up your monthly allotment you can continue using very slow unlimited data for essential things. Could this be what @Icyprincess is really referring to?

Chatr, Luck & PM are extremely competitive thus their plans are almost identical. If one makes a change, the other two likely change as well. Some people wish that PM would do this or that differently, maybe offer a larger than 8.5Gb plan while others want the three brands to be even more identical saying “Chatr does this, why can’t PM”? Some differences are nice and the differences what drives competition, not the similarities.

AE_Collector 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Icyprincess  While you're at it, why not ask for a 15 gb add on for $15?

@Icyprincess Public Mobile wont be like other carriers. They wont compete with Bell or Rogers or Telus for huge data packages. Public is geared to a certain demographic. Maybe in the future as data changes and file sizes get bigger and 5G come in Public will be able to sequester a different package. The fact that "they used to have  60.00 Package" but no longer do could speak to the demand for that package. 

I have friends that would love to switch to Public but they want the same plans they have with their current providers. As many have already stated where Public separates itself is rewards.

You could literally reward yourself to free phone service, no one else offers that and quite frankly I don't even know how Public does. I can only go under the assumption that not everyone can hustle to a free service. 

cheers

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Icyprincess each provider has its advantages. For PM, it is low price + rewards + periodic gifts/giveaways due to absence of call centers/customer live chat/plans with low data. You need to select a provider based on your needs. If 15GB/m is crucial for you, you may consider to go with another provider.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Icyprincess 

I agree with @will13am here. And if you do switch to chartr I highly doubt they would give you 15GB because you are not a loyal long term customer of there’s 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Icyprincess , here is my chance to say yet again, get this service for what it is and not what you wish it to be.  Public Mobile competes in a different way.  The rewards are what this brand is famous for.  It helps those who are not that demanding in terms of plan features to save a whole bunch of money.  I bet Chatr doesn't offer the rewards that Public Mobile has.  If you find a better suited service, go for it.  

As op mentioned, long term clients, of course nobody will be able to find out about anything like that on their website let alone offered to new users.

Companies do that, offer incentive to stick around, fill the account with goodies so that you don't want to turn it off ever, as it's hard to find a treasure like that.

Public does it too, loyalty and referral rewards are designed for that.

People moving from onei company to another will have to start from scratch. Keep in mind that also non of those are guaranteed, they may or may not offer/agree to anything, while (at least for now) loyalty and referrasl are

Talk to your friends and see if they were offered these (and they accepted) or did they asked for them. I noticed that those things are offered when competitors offer goodr bates to switch, it's quiet possible that your friends have it due to lucky and public competition too. You could ask moderators, I doubt that are authorized for anything like that, but you never know maybe you'll be lucky

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You might need to consider another provider.

Here are the latest deals with different providers.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/05/11/google-bell-rogers-telus-freedom-mobile-canada-fido/

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Icyprincess, I just look at Chatr's website, and there isn't a plan that gives people 15 gigs of data. They have a similar plan to Public Mobile at $50 for 8 gigs of data. I do like the extra $5 bucks for the US and Canada Wide Talking, which is a nice feature.

But, the only thing I can see people getting the extra 7 gigs of data is through add-ons, which Public Mobile does already. I know some people who been with Public Mobile have a lot of extra data from promotions. As you had mentioned, long-term members are receiving 15 gigs. Key word, long-term members are rewarded for their long time there. I have only been here for two years, and I have an extra gig of data for free. 

Chatr website is a bit confusing, and I can't even see the add-ons, they mentioned Data Plus, but that's $5 for 500 MB. I guess that is better than Public Mobile's $15 for 1 gig of data. But, does Chatr allows their clients to save money for loyalty? Autopay? Referrals? Or Community rewards?

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

Won't happen unless price goes up. Public offerred 12.5GB for $60 before.

Need Help? Let's chat.