cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having 2 phones with 2 providers Simultaneously

opal_scent
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would like to upgrade to an iPhone XR with a different provider. Right now I have a iPhone 6S Plus with PM that I brought over from a 2-year contract with rogers. I don’t want to trade it in ideally, I would like to keep my existing iPhone 6S to surf the web at home or wherever free wifi is available. 

- If I cancel or remove my PM plan from my iPhone 6S Plus, but leave the SIM card intact, will the phone continue to switch on/function?

- Can I keep the SIM card inside the phone without issue? 

- What about my phone number? Can I port my number over to the new phone/carrier? Or must I  get a new phone number wirh the different provider?

If I absolutely have to keep a plan active to be able to use my PM phone at all I am willing to consider the $15 plan. Is this the best solution in your guys opinion?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

JC29
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would think that you just take out your credit card information from your Public Mobile account and then you can decide if you want to port/transfer your number to another carrier

Your phone should function normally, maybe just turn on your Airplane Mode so that it wont use up more battery.  But remember to turn on your WiFi after

Cheers!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@opal_scent wrote:

I would like to upgrade to an iPhone XR with a different provider. Right now I have a iPhone 6S Plus with PM that I brought over from a 2-year contract with rogers. I don’t want to trade it in ideally, I would like to keep my existing iPhone 6S to surf the web at home or wherever free wifi is available. 

- If I cancel or remove my PM plan from my iPhone 6S Plus, but leave the SIM card intact, will the phone continue to switch on/function?

@opal_scent  No need to keep the PM sim card in. Just remove AutoPay and the credit card on file via your online selfserve account.

- Can I keep the SIM card inside the phone without issue?  Yes you can.

- What about my phone number? Can I port my number over to the new phone/carrier? Or must I  get a new phone number wirh the different provider?

Yes you can port your number out. Just login into your selfserve and write down you account number and the Name and address on your account. When you signup with your new provider just give them:

PM account number

PM name on account

PM phone number

The new provider will setup the port. Once the port is complete your Public Mobile account will automatically be closed and your PM number will be transferred to your new provider.

If I absolutely have to keep a plan active to be able to use my PM phone at all I am willing to consider the $15 plan. Is this the best solution in your guys opinion?

No need. Once you port is complete you will still be able to use your 6s without a PM sim card.

Thank you!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Had to read this twice cause I'm on the bottle lol.

So if I understand correctly you want to get a new phone with another provider IPhone XR.. (I presume Koodo cause of their current deal on this phones)

So don't cancel your public mobile plan just yet..get your new phone with your new provider and port you PM # to that provider..once number is with them..then you can cancel PM by simply letting your monthly plan run out.

As for your iPhone 6s..you don't need a sim card in it for it to function. As others have said you can do as you wish like browse web..mp3 player, etc.

You could also download an app like Textnow..which will give you a number in your area where you can text and call for free over wifi 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@opal_scent wrote:

Thank you!

You can simply take out the SIM from your 6S and put it in the new XR.

You can use any phone without a SIM installed as a wifi device.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@opal_scent wrote:

Thank you!

You've already paid so whatever plan you have will continue to work until renewal time. If you want to port your number you should keep the plan active on the cheapest plan until port is complete.

Make sure to remove credit card info when you're finished with PM.

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can definitely use your 6s without a contract or SIM card. 

You would essentially be using it as an iPod whenever you were connected to wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.