cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSPA Shut down in NS on Telus and Bell towers

LeadfootNS
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

With HSPA 3G shut down in NS , how does that effect public mobile packages?

9 REPLIES 9

sherr6
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It actually wasn't very long when Telus began the shutdown of their CDMA network. Here's a link to that lays out the timeline of it.

bell.ca/cdmanetwork

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sherr6 wrote:

Only shutdown I'm aware of is Bell Mobility's shutdown of CDMA on April. 30th, 2019. Maybe OP is thinking of that?

@sherr6 oh wow, I thought both Telus and Bell sunsetted their CDMA networks years ago... that's actually incredible they kept them running this long.  But yes, you just might be on to something here.

@LeadfootNS we're still waiting to hear back from you with more details about what you heard/saw and from where.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@sherr6 wrote:

Only shutdown I'm aware of is Bell Mobility's shutdown of CDMA on April. 30th, 2019. Maybe OP is thinking of that?

Maybe but Public Mobile hasn't been using CDMA for years so this means no change for us.

sherr6
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

More likely, DC-HSPA has been disabled to allow more of the capacity to be used for LTE.

@computergeek541 yeah probably a little light refarming

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@LeadfootNS wrote:

I can't find the news you said on Google. Do you have any link for this news?

@LeadfootNS wrote:

HSPA has not been shut down.  I still consider HSPA to be the core network and it is required to make phone calls on all phones except those that are capable of VoLTE (which Public Mobile doesn't support at all).  I assuming that your phone calls still work. If so, HSPA is still enabled.  I guess they could scale back the maximum data speeds that the network is capable of back to much older and slower protocols, but there's no way that the "3g"/UMTS-type network has been turned of in its entirety.

More likely, DC-HSPA has been disabled to allow more of the capacity to be used for LTE.

srlawren

@LeadfootNS @NDesai are we talking about HSPA only or all of UMTA/W-CDMA?  If only HSPA, you'll be fine because even the "3G" data plans at PM are delivered over LTE.  If they were to shut down UMTA/W-CDMA however, no Public Mobile customers using those towers would be able to make or receive any calls.  That, would be a big problem.  (Also, anyone on Koodo and Telus that didn't have an "approved" VoLTE-compatible phone.)

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@LeadfootNS Where did you hear that?

Those 3G plans are on LTE network. 

Need Help? Let's chat.