cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: HOWTO: Purchasing Add-ons

You did an awesome job buds !!!   Thank you !!

Mayor / Maire

@Andy1613 wrote:

You did an awesome job buds !!!   Thank you !!

@Andy1613 thanks for the kind words

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

If my plan already has international texting, do I have to add on texting ofr the US?

- Unlimited International Text

Mayor / Maire

@GlennK wrote:

If my plan already has international texting, do I have to add on texting ofr the US?

- Unlimited International Text

@GlennK 

• To text any international number (including USA, Canada, and the rest of the world) while you are in Canada? -- no you don't.
  • To text any international number (including USA, Canada, and the rest of the world) while you are in the USA?--yes you do.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

The US Roaming Bundle looks the best. Can I use the data I already have on my plan?

Talk

Text
Data

US Roaming Bundle

Mayor / Maire

@GlennK wrote:

Can I use the data I already have on my plan?

@GlennK no, it's not like Easy Roam / Fido Roam / Roam Like Home / etc.  These add-ons are not giving you access to your existing plan features.  For data, you purchase 250MB, 500MB, or 1GB of data to be used for up to 10 days while you are in the USA, and this data is totally sepearate from your regular (Canadian) plan data.

Thanks....this should work then and enough data to use our GPS?

US Roaming - Talk Text (10-day)
$15.00

US Roaming - Talk Text 250 Data (10-day)

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@GlennK wrote:

$15.00

@GlennK 

First step is to load sufficient funds to your account.. Second step is to purchase the actual add-on. Remember that your 10 day add-on is active as soon as you buy it. Your 10 days start right away so carefully consider your needs. Good luck.

Mayor / Maire

@GlennK wrote:

$15.00

@GlennK  "GPS" shouldn't need any data, but 250mb for a "GPS" these days (I assume you mean something like google maps) may not be enough, it depends on how your map is set up, and how much you use it. Remember google maps is going a ton of data hogging things besides the map like getting local weather, and pictures of local restraunts near by and times they are open etc.

You can always download the offline map (in google maps) first while you are on wifi. Or downloading an offline GPS that just uses your device only

Mayor / Maire

@GlennK wrote:

$15.00

@GlennK so, these are two different bundles.  The first is $15 and gives you unlimited talk and unlimited texting both for 10 days while in the USA.  The second is $20 and gives you both of those plus 250MB of data to use during those same 10 days.  You would not need to buy both of these bundles, nor should you.  Pick one or the other.  If you want to use navigation, you probably want the $20 bundle which includes the 250MB of data.  Depeding how much navigating you plan to do, that should be enough.  I was in NYC for a week recently and managed to use about 190MB of mobile data just on Google Maps, but we used it pretty heavily to get around and looking at a number of "what if" scenarios such as how far is this attraction from that restaurant or store or whatever. 

However, Google Maps also lets you download an area ahead of time over WiFi before you leave on your trip, and then includes a setting called WiFi Only in the main menu.  If you were to do that, you could navigate without needing any mobile data, though you will not get "current" info like traffic incidents/congestion, and so on.  It's an option though.

I think for most people deciding between the $15 bundle and the $20 bundle, the $20 bundle is probably a better value overall and gives you a bit more flexibility to stay in touch, look up things on the go without WiFi (like an address of somewhere you want to go, reviews of a restaurant, ticket website for a tourist attraction, etc) as well as being able to message over iMessage, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger etc on the go as well.  

EDIT: @RobertQc  also provided you with basically this same info while I was busy typing away Smiley Happy