cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going traveling for a few months

Vicky1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I will be out of the country for a few months. Is there an option to put the phone plan on hold so I can still keep my number? I suspect no and think I will just have to transfer to the lowest tier plan.

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@station1104 wrote:

Very true depending on the plan, so if it is grandfathered maybe you should just keep it going.

@station1104 yes this is especially true for plans that are already grandfathered!  That said, even if you're on a currently-offered plan before you leave for a few months, it's entirely possible that it may not be offered by the time you return.  PM does change up plan offerings periodically--more so for "promo" or "for a limited time only" plans, but even the regular staples. 

Case in point:  just a couple of months ago they got rid of the plan builder and 90 day plans, for example; had you been on a custom or 90 day plan prior to that and changed to the cheapest available plan for a trip for a few months and just landed back in Canada today and went to switch back to your old plan, you'd be out of luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

station1104
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Very true depending on the plan, so if it is grandfathered maybe you should just keep it going.

srlawren

@station1104 wrote:

personally i would change you plan to the lowest plan to keep your number, then when you get back change you plan back. it is easy to do through your online account.

@station1104 this is probably good advice, but with the caveat that when you return and go to change your plan, you can only select from whatever plans are actively being offered at that time.  So if the plan you are on today is no longer offered, you won't be able to get it back and will have to pick something else.  If you're already on a grandfathered plan, then you will absolutely have to pick a new plan upon returning.  If you're on a plan that still being offered today, there is a chance it will be retired while you are away and again you'd have to pick a new plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

station1104
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

personally i would change you plan to the lowest plan to keep your number, then when you get back change you plan back. it is easy to do through your online account.

srlawren

@Vicky1 wrote:

I will be out of the country for a few months. Is there an option to put the phone plan on hold so I can still keep my number? I suspect no and think I will just have to transfer to the lowest tier plan.

@Vicky1 I think you've gotten some good responses so far, but you may also want to look over the definitive guide written by @Luddite :  Luddite's Extended Absence

@Vicky1 wrote:

Thanks...I think I would lose any monthly referral bonus and the timer for the multi year service discount would stop as well. That sound right?

@Vicky1 

You need an active account to get rewards applied to your account, but they will start accumulating again once you reinstate the account

"If your account is in a suspended state for more than 60 days in a year, your Loyalty Reward will be delayed by the amount of days your account was suspended."

"Your account must be active and in good standing to earn and use Rewards. It cannot be in a suspended or deactivated status. For example: if you earn Rewards and immediately go into a suspended state because of a late payment, you will not be able to use your Rewards until you have made that payment."

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/reward-rules

Vicky1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks...I think I would lose any monthly referral bonus and the timer for the multi year service discount would stop as well. That sound right?

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

There is no option to suspend it when travel and pay nothing.

You can only dont renew the plan, and when you are back you just start paying the plan again.

Make sure dont let it expire more than 90 days, or you will lose your number.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

If you are going for less than 90 days, just turn off auto-pay know and remove your credit card info if you want to be ultra safe. As long as you renew within 90 days of your current cycle expiring your account and number will be safe.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Vicky1 wrote:

@Vicky1Correct, however you could also let your plan expire if you don't have funds in your account and remove autopay (for less than 90 days) then renew it when you come back. The account will not be deleted till 90 days pass without service. If you have a balance in the account I beleive you can set your phone to "lost/stolen" then it will not renew but someone else will have to confirm that.

Edit Also, if you change plans to the lowest one, you may not be able to switch to the plan you are on now, almost every plan that once was, is not longer available to select. Public mobile only has a handful of plans available now.

Need Help? Let's chat.