cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Going on an Alaskan cruise, do I need an add-on if my plan includes intn'l text?

@shopgirl83  to sum up my experiences with cruising and public

When ship turns on  their cellular at sea( when away from port) incoming and out going calls work with no addon

If they want cell service while in port they need the 10 day roaming package

If they want to send sms while on ship then they need the roaming package. 

Shop wifi is horribly expensive so don't use it.  Finding wifi in alaska can be difficult depending on city visiting 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Going on an Alaskan cruise, do I need an add-on if my plan includes intn'l text?

@mimmo wrote:

When ship turns on  their cellular at sea( when away from port) incoming and out going calls work with no addon

If they want cell service while in port they need the 10 day roaming package

If they want to send sms while on ship then they need the roaming package. 

Shop wifi is horribly expensive so don't use it.  Finding wifi in alaska can be difficult depending on city visiting 

So you gave your disclaimer of "my experiences"...would you be able to say whether most if not all cruise lines offer these services? Would you be willing to say the line(s) that you went on?

Oracle

@z10user4  sure.

I have sailed on Princess, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean all with the same outcome  with PM calling as stated above.  Cellular at sea charges people on their bill, but for some reason it works with cost with PM.  how long this loophole will last I do not know.  hence my experience.  

I have not used it with a roaming package but someone else did but i cant recall exatly what he said worked or not, but i believe sms sending worked when on ship.

and yes my experience is all ships have wifi and all ships have Internet with costly /minute or /day or /trip packages.

My last cruise was in February,  others have reported similar experiences recently.

As for when they turn cellular at sea on or off.  I don't know the exact timing but when at port it was always off.

@shopgirl83which ship are your parents going on.  Many ships/companies have apps which will show whats happening and when.  some also allow people to message or call staterooms or other mobile users with the app  .  Norwegian's messaging/calling cost $10 /voyage and it worked ok.   

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@shopgirl83, The good news is if your mom's cruise is departing from and/or returning to BC, she will need the USA roaming only on the port days.

If she is departing from/returning to USA, you should look for the ideal 10 continuous days that she will need US roaming coverage. On PM website, we are not permitted to re-purchase the exact same Add-On until after the 10 days have elapsed. However I believe we are permitted to purchase a different Add-On at any time.

Errr... cruise ship calling rates are usually $7 per minute.
I'm glad there are no overages with PM. Phew!

@mimmo wrote:

@mimmo, you mentioned this works with various cruise lines.
Does the county of departure matter? Or any other restriction?

Oracle

@LovesToPM  have only departed from USA and Canada.  So can't say. If I were to speculate I would say it does not matter. A ship can be in Asia todsy and Canada the next week. 

This is a loophole that might get fixed someday.  

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was just recently on a cruise out of NYC, as soon as I crossed the boarder in Buffalo I had no cell signal. I didn’t purchase any add ons because I’m on holidays and I don’t need people bugging me, but I thought I’d at least have signal. And as for free wifi on the ship HA! Nope you have to pay for it. 

@Shirley19 wrote:

I was just recently on a cruise out of NYC, as soon as I crossed the boarder in Buffalo I had no cell signal. I didn’t purchase any add ons because I’m on holidays and I don’t need people bugging me, but I thought I’d at least have signal. And as for free wifi on the ship HA! Nope you have to pay for it. 

@Shirley19  If you had turned roaming on when you crossed the board you would habe been able to receive texts on your phone. Calling and sending texts or using data would have required a US roaming add-on.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@LovesToPM wrote:

@shopgirl83, The good news is if your mom's cruise is departing from and/or returning to BC, she will need the USA roaming only on the port days.

If she is departing from/returning to USA, you should look for the ideal 10 continuous days that she will need US roaming coverage. On PM website, we are not permitted to re-purchase the exact same Add-On until after the 10 days have elapsed. However I believe we are permitted to purchase a different Add-On at any time.

Further to this, a cruise ship leaving from say Seattle to Alaska could stop in several Canadian ports including Vancouver, Victoria and maybe Prince Rupert. Canada wide calling would cover you in those cities and if you were close enough to shore.

Also like others I would assume that wifi would be super expensive unless it was included in advance as part of some promo package thing.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Wifi availability depends on which cruise lines and price points.. much like Lexus and Toyota.. same company but diffferent audiences.. eg Oceania, Cunard etc have free AYCE wifi. OP should really find out which line her mother is using instead of relying on generalities.

@Shirley19 wrote: