cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Full LTE Speed on 3G Speed Plan

I did a Speedtest with my 3G speed plan today, and I got over 50 Mbps on LTE. I have had this plan for a few months. It is not a new account. So it is not that first few days where new customers get full speed before throttle is applied. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Oracle

Re: Full LTE Speed on 3G Plan

@aaaaa, normally the speed drops from full speed to the throttled speed after 2 days.  If you are lucky recipient of full speed LTE still, I would lay low and enjoy the better service.  By chance is your phone set on 3G only?  They do not throttle 3G.  HSPA+ would not be able to yield 50 mbps, closer to half that number.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Full LTE Speed on 3G Speed Plan


@aaaaa wrote:

I did a Speedtest with my 3G speed plan today, and I got over 50 Mbps on LTE. I have had this plan for a few months. It is not a new account. So it is not that first few days where new customers get full speed before throttle is applied. Is anyone else experiencing the same?


I'd be careful with those speedtests, you will burn through your data pretty fast with those. I've never run one myself on PM, and I don't have enough data to confirm for you, but I would be interested to hear others none-the-less.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Full LTE Speed on 3G Plan

I updated my post to make it more descriptive. The Speedtest was done on LTE, not 3G.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Full LTE Speed on 3G Plan


@will13am wrote:

@aaaaa, normally the speed drops from full speed to the throttled speed after 2 days.  If you are lucky recipient of full speed LTE still, I would lay low and enjoy the better service.  By chance is your phone set on 3G only?  They do not throttle 3G.  HSPA+ would not be able to yield 50 mbps, closer to half that number.


I find HSPA near unusable in my area (urban). Not sure if it's congestion or? The ping and upload is especially bad. 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Full Speed on 3G Plan

I personally haven't tested the network speed, but from my experience "3G speeds" on PM are fast enough for the average user. I've done numerous basic tests with PM's 3G speeds on my Samsung Galaxy S7:

  • Instagram: 2-5 seconds to load my entire feed
  • Twitter: near instant
  • Browsing a website such as public mobile: about 2-5 seconds
  • Youtube: 720p very small initial buffer

Location: Toronto. Smiley Happy

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Full Speed on 3G Plan


@tyedye00 wrote:

I personally haven't tested the network speed, but from my experience "3G speeds" on PM are fast enough for the average user. I've done numerous basic tests with PM's 3G speeds on my Samsung Galaxy S7:

  • Instagram: 2-5 seconds to load my entire feed
  • Twitter: near instant
  • Browsing a website such as public mobile: about 2-5 seconds
  • Youtube: 720p very small initial buffer

Location: Toronto. Smiley Happy


Yeah, "3G speeds" on LTE are not bad at all. It just seems for me the HSPA network itself is bad.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Full Speed on 3G Plan

Very true. HSPA Network is quite... meh. I tend to get this when I am up north.

 

Phoning out is okay, but data ... eh hit and miss.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Full Speed on 3G Plan

Yeah, I find I just avoid using data when I don't have a LTE connection (which is rare but there are places where the 3G signal is fine but there's no LTE, especially basements, etc.) Even MMS takes a while to send over 3G 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Full LTE Speed on 3G Speed Plan


@aaaaa wrote:

I did a Speedtest with my 3G speed plan today, and I got over 50 Mbps on LTE. I have had this plan for a few months. It is not a new account. So it is not that first few days where new customers get full speed before throttle is applied. Is anyone else experiencing the same?


@aaaaa Wow thanks for the update. Just a couple of questions:

 

Was the test done just after plan renewal?

 

What time was the test performed? Was it off hours?