cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full LTE Speed on 3G Speed Plan

aaaaa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did a Speedtest with my 3G speed plan today, and I got over 50 Mbps on LTE. I have had this plan for a few months. It is not a new account. So it is not that first few days where new customers get full speed before throttle is applied. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

13 REPLIES 13

Colinh90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jb456 the date of the post is irrelevant and has nothing to do with anything.. but rather, im speaking to those who are doing research and come across my post about the the  matter. im speaking to those who are skeptical about the speed. and those who are  on the fence about wether  to try it or not..  you need to stop bombarding my comments with your useless dates that mean nuthing.

@Colinh90  this post is from August 2019. I'm sure OP figured that out by now.

Colinh90

i've  had LTE with virgin mobile, and throttled 3g with Lucky and Public and i can confirm that you won't notice much of a difference at all. you'll still be-able to watch 30+min youtube videos without buffer, and play Minecraft and Pokémon go flawlessly with public's throttled 3g speed with no interruption. 

@aaaaa wrote:

I updated my post to make it more descriptive. The Speedtest was done on LTE, not 3G.

I have 3G speed plans ($25 and $40 plans) and do not get full speed LTE performance.  Which plan do you have?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@aaaaa wrote:

I did a Speedtest with my 3G speed plan today, and I got over 50 Mbps on LTE. I have had this plan for a few months. It is not a new account. So it is not that first few days where new customers get full speed before throttle is applied. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

@aaaaa Wow thanks for the update. Just a couple of questions:

Was the test done just after plan renewal?

What time was the test performed? Was it off hours?

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah, I find I just avoid using data when I don't have a LTE connection (which is rare but there are places where the 3G signal is fine but there's no LTE, especially basements, etc.) Even MMS takes a while to send over 3G 

tyedye00

Very true. HSPA Network is quite... meh. I tend to get this when I am up north.

Phoning out is okay, but data ... eh hit and miss.

jor123

@tyedye00 wrote:

I personally haven't tested the network speed, but from my experience "3G speeds" on PM are fast enough for the average user. I've done numerous basic tests with PM's 3G speeds on my Samsung Galaxy S7:

• Instagram: 2-5 seconds to load my entire feed
  • Twitter: near instant
  • Browsing a website such as public mobile: about 2-5 seconds
  • Youtube: 720p very small initial buffer

Yeah, "3G speeds" on LTE are not bad at all. It just seems for me the HSPA network itself is bad.

tyedye00

I personally haven't tested the network speed, but from my experience "3G speeds" on PM are fast enough for the average user. I've done numerous basic tests with PM's 3G speeds on my Samsung Galaxy S7:

• Instagram: 2-5 seconds to load my entire feed
  • Twitter: near instant
  • Browsing a website such as public mobile: about 2-5 seconds
  • Youtube: 720p very small initial buffer

jor123

@will13am wrote:

@aaaaa, normally the speed drops from full speed to the throttled speed after 2 days.  If you are lucky recipient of full speed LTE still, I would lay low and enjoy the better service.  By chance is your phone set on 3G only?  They do not throttle 3G.  HSPA+ would not be able to yield 50 mbps, closer to half that number.

I find HSPA near unusable in my area (urban). Not sure if it's congestion or? The ping and upload is especially bad. 

aaaaa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I updated my post to make it more descriptive. The Speedtest was done on LTE, not 3G.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aaaaa wrote:

I'd be careful with those speedtests, you will burn through your data pretty fast with those. I've never run one myself on PM, and I don't have enough data to confirm for you, but I would be interested to hear others none-the-less.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@aaaaa, normally the speed drops from full speed to the throttled speed after 2 days.  If you are lucky recipient of full speed LTE still, I would lay low and enjoy the better service.  By chance is your phone set on 3G only?  They do not throttle 3G.  HSPA+ would not be able to yield 50 mbps, closer to half that number.

Need Help? Let's chat.