cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom offer vs. current PM US plan?

trgtrg2020
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This Freedom plan worth switching?

(Lets pretend you all love Freedom lol).

Freedom Plan:

$60 Big Gig Unlimited + Talk

•10GB + 10GB BONUS.

20GB Full Speed total + 1GB Freedom Nationwide. Canada-Wide everything.

I also need a new iPhone. Right now I can get iPhone 11 64GB at Absolute Zero. No charge, no up sell, no higher premium on the plan just need to commit for 2 years. 

Current Public Plan:

I’m on the $60 Canada-US plan. I need a new iPhone and was going to buy it from Apple (iPhone SE) for almost $900. What I love about my Public $60 plan, getting the US Call & Roam features. No US features with Freedom $60 plan. I also like that right now my PM 60 plan is $55/M right now. 4 years from now it will be $51. Now course with Freedom for few dollars more you get way more data + free iPhone 11 (subtract US features that’s not great sure).

Before joining PM, I was a proud Freedom customer and loved their service in my area and all around never had problems when traveling. Hope that makes you understand I never had issues with them. It’s a funny story because I only switched to PM because last summer I moved to Banff for a hotel job and now I’m back in Toronto area. I Always had amazing service with Freedom. Service was great in Aurora, Newmarket, North York, Hamilton, Ancaster, also Niagara.

Facts:

With the Freedom plan I’d loose US features. That’s the biggest drawback. Using TextNow or Talkatone I can avoid US long distance fees. Still, No US roaming with that particular Freedom plan I’m looking at. Have to remember too that it’s Covid now and US roaming sorta useless for the next 1 or 2 years! 

What are your opinions:

•Stay with Public Mobile?

•Switch to Freedom Mobile?

•Or, wait for a better Freedom deal???

•Could the current Freedom offer get any better for this Black Friday / Holiday season? Someone on RedFlag Deals said, “probably can’t get anything better then this” -Freedom Plan.

Thoughts?

15 REPLIES 15

trgtrg2020

@JLakerson  I liked the words you chose! You did a great job there!

trgtrg2020

@LurganIeUk  If it wasn’t for Freedom Mobile none of the current PM customers would be getting the deals they get today.

Remember to support the things in life that make all other things possible. 

trgtrg2020

Switched to Freedom Mobile! 

Thank you

JLakerson

@trgtrg2020 

If you are willing to commit to Freedom for 2 years, despite any possible issues that may arise, then I say go for it. I know you mentioned that when you were with Freedom before, you didn't have any issues with their service in a lot of the places you travelled to. In my personal experience, I've had issues with their service, even in busy cities. So it is possible that you might encounter some issues within the 2 years. 

But, getting the iPhone 11 with no additional cost is really why I say go for it - it saves you a good amount of money. And like you said, there are a few free apps you can use to avoid US long distance fees.

Good luck with your decision and I hope it all works out!

@trgtrg2020 I would switch if you like the coverage. the phones are free. this is their new way of competing with the big 3

Don’t be fooled by free. 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It sounds like you're pretty happy with Public right now. 

The new phone sounds good but you're committing to 2 years with Freedom.  I've heard their coverage can be an issue depending on where you are but you were already a customer so you're well aware.

Financially it sounds like Freedom would be the better move (with the free phone) for the short term but Public may have other offers for you to switch to in the near future.

Get some referrals under your belt and it will truly make more sense to stay with Public.

Good luck! 😁

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This decision is quite personal and based on needs and wants.  If the iPhone is deal maker, well there really isn't much of a difficult decision to make here.  Personally, I left Wind/Freedom to come to a better network.  After staying a while, I became addicted to rewards.  I don't see myself going anywhere.  When I need phones, I buy them outright.  

Not even going specifically into the plans that include U.S. roamings, Public Mobile's plans do not even begin to comapre to Freedom Mobile's price plans and features that are included.  

What I will say about Public Mobile is about the Telus network being much better than Freedom's, and that the Public Mobile's reward system is an excellent way to receive a long-term inexpensive plan.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@trgtrg2020 

Here’s the thing, if you need lots of data like 10 GB a month then use Freedom. But remember it’s about quality of the data. I was with them back when they were Wind and amazingly reception hasn’t improved. So, if you only care about data then sure Freedom has lots and lots of unlimited data but that isn’t practical in your case. No matter what deal Freedom offers it isn’t worth it until they build more towers. Stay with Public.

Fido is Rogers.  You need to decide. 

Telus.       Fido.       PM.       Bell     And    And

Quality phone service. 

Coverage meets your needs in the road

Coverage meets your needs in Home 

Voicemail meets your needs

Customer service meets your needs

Costs meets your needs

**Is Data throttled

And

And

*Previous Dissatisfaction

Make some columns. Rate each category from 0 to 10. 10 being best. 

*Previous Dissatisfaction 5 to 0.

A lot of dissatisfaction being 0. No dissatisfaction being 5. 

**Is Data throttled

Throttled 0. Not throttled 10. And in between. 

Total each column. Highest score wins. 

161B7106-59CB-4640-8800-1270AA6BF8F5.jpeg

@trgtrg2020 wrote:

The free $850 approx iPhone 11 definitely wows me from Freedom. The plan itself not really. I mean 20GB is A LOT. I just wish they were including US roaming. I miss the old Freedom Plans like Holiday 55 2015 plans. Good old days.

I kinda doubt it's FREE. ...they gonna get their money from you somehow.

The Public Mobile 10 Day Us Roaming options have always served me well...and I only pay for it when I need it. For extended stays in US, get a sim and a cheap plan at Walmart in US. For extended stays in Mexico, there's many free sim/cheap plans for consideration.

Not trying to bad-mouth Freedom....just that PM does fit my lifestyle and pricepoint.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@trgtrg2020 

That sounds like a great deal with Freedom. You are paying the same, but you get a free phone. Freedom coverage does not work for everyone, but in your case it has in the past.

The Name of the Game is to save money.

https://youtu.be/iJ90ZqH0PWI

trgtrg2020

The free $850 approx iPhone 11 definitely wows me from Freedom. The plan itself not really. I mean 20GB is A LOT. I just wish they were including US roaming. I miss the old Freedom Plans like Holiday 55 2015 plans. Good old days.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@trgtrg2020....

my thoughts might be kinda simplistic...but you asked....so  FWIW.

Find a plan that works best for your lifestyle today. Do your due diligence of course...but once you find something, stick with it until it no longer fits you. There's always going to be enticements elsewhere but I can't be bothered shopping around all the time.

PM has exactly what I want at a very competitive price. I'll pay for my own phone and not pay hidden costs. Might not be the best or newest phone...but it's paid for and works like a champ wherever I go in Canada, US or Mexico.

Need Help? Let's chat.