cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive data being used on new iPhone xr

Ticklehorn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

My wife and I purchased the iPhone XR about 2 months ago and ever since we have seen our data skyrocket. We very rarely use our phone away from a wifi network so this has been so strange to me. As of today we have had to purchase 4 extra gigabyte add ons when we have already turned almost all heavy data apps off of cellular service. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

11 REPLIES 11

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Ticklehorn 

my wife has this phone. You need to go into app settings, check for what you allow to run in the back ground. Location settings are huge as well, the gos will eat a tonne of data. I recommend you actually turn data off in Wireless settings. And only turn it on when you need to use it. We had the exact same issue. 

Tazman1969

Thank you for your help. I guess I have misread the amount. I am used to read GB versus MB, especially with 3 decimals. 

It makes more sense That I only used 86 MB.

@Tazman1969 wrote:

I did turned off all of my apps that were using cellular data over a week ago, however, my account states that I have used over 84,500 MB of data in the last 3 days, and this happened after I have changed my plan (increased) from the $35 to $40 plan.

@Tazman1969  Do you mean 84.500 MB? 84,500 MB is 84.5 GB are you sure?

This is the same phone I have been using with my previous provider, notwithstanding the fact I had all my apps set to use cellular data, and I never used that much data. It seems to me there is a glitch at Public Mobile level?

84.5 MB is not a lot of data. New phones have an option that states mobile data stays always on and switches to it if there are Wi-Fi issues. Turn that option off if it's on. I don't use iPhone but on Android the data counter at PM is accurate because the data usage that is reported on my advice agrees with the counter minus the mm discrepancy.

@Tazman1969  you mean all your apps are  set to download only on wifi right? What about Imessage? Is that set to WiFi  only? It uses data when not on wifi. Is your wifi off? Please check it. Thanks. Also check your data usage on your phone to see which apps are the culprits. Stay safe. 

Tazman1969

I did turned off all of my apps that were using cellular data over a week ago, however, my account states that I have used over 84,500 MB of data in the last 3 days, and this happened after I have changed my plan (increased) from the $35 to $40 plan. This is the same phone I have been using with my previous provider, notwithstanding the fact I had all my apps set to use cellular data, and I never used that much data. It seems to me there is a glitch at Public Mobile level?

@TicklehornI got a feeling you have probably been downloading the iOS updates via your cellular connection. They varies from 500Mb for supplemental updates to close to 1Gb for . upgrades. If you have Apple Watch then the phone will be a conduit for the watch's updates too. There have been a few the last few months. You can turn the option to upgrade via cellular off under Settings -> General.

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It could be some specif app. First step is find out which app is consuming the data. Then take a look at its settings to see if you can change it to be used in wifi only. Maybe even uninstall if its suspicious.

I had to do this to facebook once. 

Ticklehorn

I will give those a try but it seems like something is off. My wife and I have never come close to using all our data and now we are both over 2 gigs with very conservative use. 

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ticklehorn 

Here are some steps:

Stop iphone apps using cellular data

Settings > Cellular/Mobile Data and scroll down to switch off a number of apps' cellular privileges.

Stop background apps:

Open the Settings app and go to “General” followed by “Background App Refresh”
Toggle the top switch to the OFF position (this will impact all the apps listed below, no need to change them individually)

Stop icloud"

Go to the Settings app and choose “iCloud”
Go to “iCloud Drive” and toggle ‘Use Cellular Data’ to the OFF position

Disable wi-fi assist to reduce celllar data usage:

Open the Settings app and go to “Cellular”
Scroll all the way to the bottom and find “Wi-Fi Assist” and toggle that to the OFF position

Turn off autoplay video in Facebook, Twitter & Instagram

Turn off push notifications
Go to Settings > Notifications

Stop fetching email

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and if Push is turned on, turn it off.

Doing these steps should help reduce your data usage. Best of luck!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Ticklehorn  

View how much data you're using

To see how much cellular data that you've used, go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data.

Scroll down to find which apps are using cellular data. If you don't want an app to use cellular data, you can turn it off for that app. When cellular data is off, apps will only use Wi-Fi for data.

To see the cellular data usage for individual System Services, go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap System Services. Cellular data can't be turned on or off for individual System Services.

You can view the data usage statistics for an app from a current period, or view app data statistics for apps that use data when you were roaming. To reset these statistics, go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics.

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ticklehorn There are apps that are running in the background that are eating up your data. You can go into your apps and disable the ones you don't use. Turn off notifications for anything that you don't need. Turn off icloud drive cellular data. Stop iphone apps using cellular data. Disable background app refresh to stop cellular data. 

Need Help? Let's chat.