cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europe roaming

Pipcan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Will be going to Republic of Ireland and Norway next year.  Currently for Ireland you need to enter contact phone number for prior to landing.  Can I get a prepaid roaming plan with an Irish number before landing or do I just use my Canada number for the contact phone number.  Would also like a Europe SIM card for two weeks

6 REPLIES 6

@Meow 

That's why I recommend fongo. By it working on both wifi and mobile data as soon as you have a local sim card your fongo app will work at all times. Or if you chose an International plan it will be working immediately. If you rely on getting an irish number with a local sim you wont have that number at the port of entry whereas you will have a working fongo app while on airport wifi.

Edit:

All local sim cards come with data....oodles of it compared to here.

@darlicious wrote:

Then you can leave your pm number to satisfy the Irish entry requirements. Both work on wifi however fongo also works on mobile data. You can get an Irish sim card up on arrival. Supermarkets like Tesco

What is Irish require local contact number? Trick with Canadian number forwarded to TextNow might work but person has to be all the time within WiFi range. I guess this phone # thing is related to covid...

It is nice if Fongo works on data but you HAVE TO HAVE data somehow.

Getting local SIM (particularly if it will work in Europe) will be the optimal solution; no chasing WiFi, etc. Maybe Irish require response within few minutes and if not... police is coming..

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could purchase a local sim or Gigsky.  If you have access to wifi the you could use apps like Textnow, Skype,  or Signal.

@Pipcan 

You can get the fongo or text now app with a Canadian number that you can forward your pm number to before you leave Canada. Then you can leave your pm number to satisfy the Irish entry requirements. Both work on wifi however fongo also works on mobile data. You can get an Irish sim card up on arrival. Supermarkets like Tesco offer very cheap prepaid sim cards that will also work in other European countries under their free roaming agreements.

@Luddite also has access to a popular European travel sim that he can give you the details about if you private message him.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pipcan 

you can use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from app,

and keep your device in canada and do Call Forwarding,

Call Forwarding (publicmobile.ca)

Talkatone.

Text Me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pipcan 

public mobile offer only USA Roaming 10 day packages..

Need Help? Let's chat.