cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomaskingsley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Employees Pitching 3G as LTE

The staff at two separate Telus/Koodo/Public kiosks have tried to sell me on the fact that Public's 3G is really LTE, as they have no 3G network. They go on to say that it will display LTE on the phone as proof. And that it will not be throttled in any way. I have voice recordings of the employees at both shops, as I did not believe them and felt like they were duping me. 

Is this accurate? They were so sure of themselves and pressuring me to sign up right at that moment.

@Moderator_Team

Accepted Solutions
Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Re: Employees Pitching 3G as LTE

@tomaskingsley wrote:

The staff at two separate Telus/Koodo/Public kiosks have tried to sell me on the fact that Public's 3G is really LTE, as they have no 3G network. They go on to say that it will display LTE on the phone as proof. And that it will not be throttled in any way. I have voice recordings of the employees at both shops, as I did not believe them and felt like they were duping me. 

Is this accurate? They were so sure of themselves and pressuring me to sign up right at that moment.

Public Mobile runs on Telus' network, which technically operates both 3G (HSPA/WCDMA) and LTE protocols over the air.

Both networks will work for data. LTE is throttled to 3mbps, which is what they market as "3G speeds" - but if you force your phone to use real 3G (HSPA/WCDMA) it is not throttled, and you may find it's actually faster in a speed test, sometimes 10mbps+, but latency may be more variable.

In everyday use, I doubt you'll notice any practical difference between the two, and it's better to leave it autoselect between 3G and LTE so you have the best coverage. the 3mbps compared to flagship carriers unthrottled LTE is also not noticeable for everyday use, and is quite an acceptable compromise for the value.

There is no VoLTE (yet) so voice calls will always temporarily switch to 3G/HSPA/WCDMA mode.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Loki1025
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My understanding is that the speed is throttled to 3G, but stand to be corrected.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@tomaskingsley Its 3g throttled to 9mbps  edit not throttled and 4g  lte throttled to 3 mbps. 

@tomaskingsley wrote:

@Moderator_Team

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@tomaskingsley wrote:

@Moderator_Team

@tomaskingsley That's interesting, mine was opposite - he warned me that it is 4G throttled to 3G speedsSmiley Very Happy

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@tomaskingsley wrote:

Public Mobile runs on Telus' network, which technically operates both 3G (HSPA/WCDMA) and LTE protocols over the air.

Both networks will work for data. LTE is throttled to 3mbps, which is what they market as "3G speeds" - but if you force your phone to use real 3G (HSPA/WCDMA) it is not throttled, and you may find it's actually faster in a speed test, sometimes 10mbps+, but latency may be more variable.

In everyday use, I doubt you'll notice any practical difference between the two, and it's better to leave it autoselect between 3G and LTE so you have the best coverage. the 3mbps compared to flagship carriers unthrottled LTE is also not noticeable for everyday use, and is quite an acceptable compromise for the value.

There is no VoLTE (yet) so voice calls will always temporarily switch to 3G/HSPA/WCDMA mode.

View solution in original post

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@tomaskingsley wrote:

@Moderator_Team

It'll show on your phone as LTE but as suggested by others...is throttled. I've used it for 2 yrs and am happy with the speeds, but I'm not listening to streaming music or movies either.

You can maybe give it a try to see if it fits your lifestyle. PM uses Telus backbone so you know it's stable.Plans and is much more affordable without any hidden fees later on.

I can vouch for PM.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

It's LTE throttled to 3mbs but it does show LTE on phone like screenshot below.

Screenshot_20200228_173508.jpg

Luddite
Oracle

@tomaskingsley wrote:

@Moderator_Team

@tomaskingsley Both statements in red are false. On the other hand, those employees may believe what they said. Many people are unaware of the gaps in their knowledge, yet sound knowledgeable.

Here you are on a bicycle getting info from the Telus/Koodo birds. Robot wink

knowledge gap.gif

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.
YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@tomaskingsley 

as others have said, public uses LTE bands and the speed is throlled down to 3g speeds.  

Here is that in Public Mobiles words as conditions when describing plans

4 - Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 900 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-250 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/WirelessVideoExperience_Optimization.pdf.

Compatible device required. Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB. Data service on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Here's screenshots of speed tests... Both H+ and LTE as you can see in the header bars, and upload/download both visible:

hspa11.pnglte3.png

Need Help? Let's chat.