cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Early Renewal

Hey! Is it possible to renew my plan a couple of days early if I run out of data? I thought I read this somewhere. Can anyone help?

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Early Renewal

I read that in the forums as well (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Early-Renewal-for-the-Data-Hu...)

 

There's a walkthrough in the link attached as well.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Early Renewal

Only if you choose to change your plan immediately. You could buy a data addon, and any addon data left over at the end of the month rolls over, so if you don't uses it all before the end of the month it will remain in your account.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Early Renewal


@Jwpearce87 wrote:

Hey! Is it possible to renew my plan a couple of days early if I run out of data? I thought I read this somewhere. Can anyone help?


You can do an immediate plan *change* but you need moderator assistance to do an early renewal. Keep in mind that an immediate plan change forfeits what you've already spent. There are no refunds or credits prorated or otherwise.

 

Edit: Nice find @DSM18 but that's now expired info. (the OP...I didn't read the whole thing)

But yes...if one is on a standard, still-available plan and need to do an early renewal then you could do an immediate change to the $10 plan. Then immediate change to the plan you had. Costs you the days you had left in your original plan and the $10 plan. And now full cost for your "new" plan.

This is all to avoid needing moderators. But if your plan was a promo plan no longer available then it would be lost to you forever. No going back.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Early Renewal

Yup it will cost you $10 at least. One alternative is to change from the 90 day plan to the equivalent 30 day plan (or the other way around) and then set it to change your plan back at the next payment date. Might be worth a look anyway, I ended up paying an extra 2 dollars a month for an extra GB on the 30 day plan anyway.

Do NOT follow the instructions for contacting the mods after topping up your account (which is all over the forum). Not only will they act like you are crazy for suggesting it - there is no way to get your money back out. I paid for an early renewal of a 90 day $180 plan. They wouldn't do it and when I inquired about getting the money I put in back they acted like I was even more crazy and offered to transfer $70 to a Koodo account as though giving me a portion of my money back was a favor. 

I've decided to pay the extra couple of dollars extra and go somewhere with some actual customer service, but unfortunately I am stuck running down my account on here first

Re: Early Renewal


@@@NBruinsma wrote:

Yup it will cost you $10 at least. One alternative is to change from the 90 day plan to the equivalent 30 day plan (or the other way around) and then set it to change your plan back at the next payment date. Might be worth a look anyway, I ended up paying an extra 2 dollars a month for an extra GB on the 30 day plan anyway.

Do NOT follow the instructions for contacting the mods after topping up your account (which is all over the forum). Not only will they act like you are crazy for suggesting it - there is no way to get your money back out. I paid for an early renewal of a 90 day $180 plan. They wouldn't do it and when I inquired about getting the money I put in back they acted like I was even more crazy and offered to transfer $70 to a Koodo account as though giving me a portion of my money back was a favor. 

I've decided to pay the extra couple of dollars extra and go somewhere with some actual customer service, but unfortunately I am stuck running down my account on here first


@NBruinsma, moderators are authorized to do early renewals.  Have been for years now.

 

Try again if you wish, or leave it’s your choice.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Early Renewal

I don't doubt that they are able to. In fact I have seen a lot of references to it in the forums.

I am just not a big fan of playing the lottery on it every time I could use some help.

 

For me, I think the few extra dollars for customer service is worth it. Just wish I hadn't put the money in my account first. Not a big deal that I need to use public mobile for a couple more months before I can get out, but there are some deals I would prefer not to miss and I don't like the idea of having to watch my account and time it so I don't have an interuption of service when the money in my account runs out.

Just seems silly that the whole draw of public mobile is that you are not locked into any kind of contract, but here I am - either abandoning 120 dollars or sticking with them for 2 months.

 

For anyone else who is looking to renew early, I would suggest not putting any money in until after they contact the mods (contrary to the advise in the forum). it also takes a couple days for each message and a couple messages back and forth, so if you are just a few days shy of renewing and want the data early it is not the most practical solution anyway.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Early Renewal

@NBruinsma 

Yes.  You are creating a virtual contract by putting in more fund to a prepaid account.

Re: Early Renewal

@NBruinsma the reason we ask for you to load the funds when you send the request in is so that it's available and the moderator_team can load it sooner, rather than later.  Personally, renewing a plan early is a waiting game.  If you really need to have your service running at full capacity, rather than trying to renew, purchase the required add-on (note not all features have an add-on), or change your plan to something that will work for you.

 

I know changing plans isn't ideal, but if you're on a currently still-in-market option, changing to a different plan, and future dating for next renewal the current plan will keep you going with minimal delay and the cost difference.

 

If it's just a couple days, get the $10 or $15 plan for call and texting abilities.   For data, buy the $30 1 GB if it's just a few days until renewal.  For longer periods until top-up, change plan, and reschedule plan for next renewal.

 

Don't play the victim here - it's self-serve, and you have the ability to control and monitor your plan buckets, and there are options to get more (except SMS) via add-ons.  Immediate plan change being a final choice if you can't be bothered to wait for the Moderator_Team's assistance.

 

The community tries to help the best we can, as we're only customers like you.  Maybe public mobile isn't suited for you, but I know it works just fine for me, and many other subscribers.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Early Renewal

I am not playing a victim. I don't care how you feel about my situation. I am simply stating for other people who attempt to renew early that:

1. Despite the advice in the forum to ask the moderators to renew early, that is not a dependable option - as they will not always do it

2. Do not put money in your account before you check with a moderator if they will renew your account, as you cannot get a refund

3. It probably isn't worth trying to renew early as it will take days for you to do it, even if you catch the moderators in the right mood.

 

I would have been happy to just pay the 10 dollars to switch plans and then switch immediately back to my current plan - the problem is not that there is no way to do it, the problem is that the forum tells you the wrong way, and that the wrong way costs people money and causes them to delay doing it themselves.

Because I was unable to do so, I think that it is important to let people in the forum know that before they attempt to do the same thing. That is how the community is supposed to work. If other people have had the same issues as me, it would have been useful for me if they had mentioned it in the forum. 

 


@stonechucker wrote:

@NBruinsma the reason we ask for you to load the funds when you send the request in is so that it's available and the moderator_team can load it sooner, rather than later. 



Immediate plan change being a final choice if you can't be bothered to wait for the Moderator_Team's assistance.

You seem to misunderstand what I am trying to say altogether. I have no problem with the speed at which the moderators respond to requests, I was well aware that it might take a couple of days for a response. The problem is that the information is all over the forum to add funds to your account and then contact a moderator for early renewal. That doesn't work, or at least I can say for sure that it doesn't always work. Because it doesn't work, be prepared for several messages back and forth, each of which may take days.