cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgraded to 3g and no longer have internet

Neverstop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I downgraded to the 3g plan because of the special on and my internet stopped working. I have tried restarting phone, airplane mode, etc. It says 4g up top but no websites or any apps work, it happened as soon as I changed plan. Any fix?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

briareos477
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I recently switvhed from telus to public mobile. I have a lg nexus 5 that was running on telus 4g but now i switched to public mobile 3g and I cannot acces the internet even when mobile connection is on. Please help.

CoIt

Thanks for the correction @stonechucker! I must have just happened to change that setting when my data started working because I switched back to 4G now with no problems. Good to know, I'm not slowing myself down anymore 

Neverstop

A moderator or something must have fixed it in their end because it started working on its own. I'm very happy with the speeds and thank you for all the replies. What an amazing community. 

@CoIt, removing the 4G from your settings should not be required, as the ‘3G’ plan at Public Mobile is actually 4G throttled to ‘3G Speed’ more accueatly, 3MB/s.

The plan will run on 4G, and fail back to 3G for calling, and when the 3G is a stronger signal than the 4G for data.

Switching that network setting you menton, actually hinders possible improved speeds on your cell phone, and as a result, isn’t a valid suggestion for the original poster in this thread.

CoIt

Not sure if this has been resolved yet but when I started with Public Mobile with 3G speed it wasn't working on my Oneplus 5T until I went into SIM and Network Settings and changed my preferred network type from "2G/3G/4G" to "2G/3G". If your S7 has similar settings it could be worth trying that out. Although it seems as though you're having an account issue seeing as you can't make texts or calls either.

Bro1

I am on the 3G plan as well and my phone almost always shows 4G/LTE but the plan is called 3G because the internet speed is limited to what 3G speed would be even though it is on a faster networj

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Can also try taking out the SIM and re-inserting.

Can you browse on WiFi?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Dumb question, has the phone been rebooted since the plan change?   Running out of ideas here.  There's was no mention of this, so I thought I would ask.

Neverstop

I tried that it didn't work. If this helps I have a galaxy s7. I feel like the network still thinks I'm connecting to the 4g protocol and public mobile hasn't put me to 3g or something. It's very strange. 

MacMe

Maybe try resetting your network settings and re-adding them:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

Neverstop

Sorry last post I didn't get to finish before sending. It says active in the my account settings. I can't send texts or anything ever since I changed the plan. It's been many hours now that I haven't been able to use the phone. When I look at the top though I see bars and 4g, plus I see connected to public mobile in mobile network settings. Any ideas ? 

Neverstop

Account says active in settings

closng

Does your regular calling/texting services still work? 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Neverstop, check to make sure that your account is active.  Something may have faltered in the plan change.  Was the plan change future dated or an immediate change? 

LEGO

@Neverstop 

Check if usage limit is set on your phone, make sure that the set limit is not exceeded.

jp2

The timing makes it sound like an account issue that you will need to contact mods for but it doesn't hurt to check your APN settings are correct. 

Need Help? Let's chat.