cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does voicemail usage count towards my minutes?

golfradio
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I am new to PM and just activated my phone. If I call voicemail from my cell phone, am I using up minutes?  I accessed my voicemail account to set it up and my usage history shows two calls to a number 705-780-4xx1 and my number of minutes is down by the time I spent accessing voicemail. Is this normal?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

The spoiler says call forwarding does not consume minutes.

@Brooke_C, can you confirm the $10 is not to consume forwarding minutes, and at the same time, incoming minutes into voicemail?

Too many subscribers appear to have minutes being charged, when they are expecting what the spoiler tells them are not used for these tasks.

skinwg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did contacted moderator today. ... I received horrible answers ...... What am I suppose to do ... they are deducting minutes no matter I forward the call, or not answering the call while the call is routed to voicemail (I did not even call the voicemail to listen).

Please assist community or let me know about your experience ... I think Public Mobile is trying to cheat us. I never have this experience before with other operator.

quoted from the moderator 

"I do understand you and I'm truly sorry about this.    Note that when a call is routed to voicemail or forwarded it goes from your phone.   Once again, sorry for the inconvenience.   Kind regards,   xxxx"
"Actually both call forwarding and voice count in the 50  minutes."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@skinwg, Call forwarding is not supposed to use up your minutes.  See this inital Article explaining the $10 plan.  I suggest you contact the moderators to get this sorted out.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

skinwg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

when I set call forward to Fongo when busy, still the calling time is deducted from the usage. Any idea? Thanks

@golfradio, I use an app called Fongo (it's been referenced on thi forumm many times), and originally, it was for me to have a back up *in case* I was without voice calling for whatever reason.

When I figured out I could use it to forward my unanswered phone calls to the Fongo app, leaving it unanswered also, Fongo records the voicemail, and it becomes like visual voice mail, where it resides inside the app.

No need to call your PM Voicemail number... it's in Fongo.

Fongo is free to use for Canada wide calling, and texting between Fongo users, and receiving incoming txts.  Small fee if you wish to send txts to non-fongo numbers.

golfradio
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks every one for your replies.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @golfradio,

As the others have already mentioned, if you use your cell service to retrieve your voicemail you are technically calling your voicemail phone number.  Each cell provider has a voicemail retrieval system that must be called (i.e. like a regular phone call) in order to hear your message.  Once you make that call it is technically a local call that uses your minutes.  If you're on an unlimited talk service then that wouldn't matter, however if you're on a minutes plan then you will be using your local minutes.  

Please note this is not just a Public Mobile thing, all providers do the same, including the big 3.  Recommend finding out what your voicemail number is and call using a landline or someone elses cell phone and use up their minutes Smiley Very Happy

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@danlee wrote:

How do we get rid of voicemail?

@danlee the workaround often suggested in the community is to use an extended absence greeting.  Once activated, people cannot leave you new messages.  You can instruct them in our outbound message to text you or call again, etc.  More details:  Please see here for the detailed steps to set it up..

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@danlee wrote:

I don't think you can (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Does your plan have call forwarding? If so you could sign up for a free Fongo number and forward missed calls to that and then check your voicemail online or have them emailed to you.

danlee
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

srlawren

Yep.  Any plan with metered minutes at any Canadian provider charges for calling into your voicemail.  You can call in from a landline or friend's cell phone (with unlimited calling) if you want.  Just dial your own phone number, and once you hear your outbound message, press the "*" key.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

If you are on the new 50 minute plan then this is normal.

Need Help? Let's chat.