cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the "Special Offer! $50 for 8 GB + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus" plan include USA roaming?

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Does the "Special Offer! $50 for 8 GB + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus" plan include USA roaming?Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 11.55.10 AM.png

15 REPLIES 15

@kav2001c wrote:

@computergeek541

That is incorrect as way back Public Mobile roaming rates were included in all plans

But we are talking like 2011-12 here

Telus killed off all roaming and all international calling in the take over days

(edit to add - of course with the G band the only US carrier you could roam on was Sprint back in the day, so roaming situation is far better today)

Public Mobile even has SUPER BOWL commercials for their Roam Rage campaign

https://mobilesyrup.com/2012/02/06/video-public-mobile-comes-out-with-3-commercials-that-target-rebe...

edit2

Just had to add a link I found for the roaming commericals Cat LOL

Here is the $0.15 prepay roaming option to deduct from your wallet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tohJv077n-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Ulm0pm8CY

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

@Jurri_jr @RobertQc You have both given conflicting answers, who is correct?

None of Public Mobile's plans have ever included roaming.

There is a U.S. roaming add on, but that isn't what is being dicussed here.

You're right that I didn't remember that was offered before. I never really paid attention to Public Mobile when it was a new entrant.  I don't even remember that commerical.   I just recall the "everybody talk" advertisements.

From what I see in your links, it was a pay-per-use $0.15/minute rate.  If I have that correct, I would argue that the roaming was not included with the plans as it was an extra charge.  But you are right in the sense that the ability to roam was there.  Perhaps, I should have said current plans don't include roarming.

@computergeek541

That is incorrect as way back Public Mobile roaming rates were included in all plans

But we are talking like 2011-12 here

Telus killed off all roaming and all international calling in the take over days

(edit to add - of course with the G band the only US carrier you could roam on was Sprint back in the day, so roaming situation is far better today)

Public Mobile even has SUPER BOWL commercials for their Roam Rage campaign

https://mobilesyrup.com/2012/02/06/video-public-mobile-comes-out-with-3-commercials-that-target-rebe...

edit2

Just had to add a link I found for the roaming commericals Cat LOL

Here is the $0.15 prepay roaming option to deduct from your wallet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tohJv077n-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Ulm0pm8CY

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

@Poogzley

Fizz is the discount arm of Videotron

Most people outside of Quebec / Ottawa regions will not know who they are and be afraid of "noname" service (esp those in Ontario, since Freedom / Wind network also happens to be worse in that province than anywhere else in Canada)

The only caveat I would point out is that as Fizz is brand new (BETA plans) who knows what future will hold

Will Videotron keep pricing the same or constantly increase it?

Only time will tell

But Fizz is using Videotron LTE (and Rogers LTE in areas with no coverage) so even if not as robust as Public network it is still light years better than Freedom is

they have more roaming than here.  

@Poogzley wrote:

@Poogzley wrote:

@Jurri_jr wrote:

Yes it is available now

@Jurri_jr Wrong. Unless you are talking about something else- then use the quote feature.

@PoogzleyThat PM special offer does not include US roaming.

You will notice his post (actually his entire profile) has 0 bravo's he is a new and confused member. He likely was not even responding to your initial question and doesn't understand how to use the quote feature.

The reply I gave you has 7 bravo's including some of our top members for a reason.

"No. It includes talk to US while you are in Canada.

US Roaming is available as a seperate one time purchase as an "add-on" which expires 10 days after purchase."

It quite clearly says "Unlimited Talk TOCanada and the U.S." not FROM

Poogzley

Jurri_jr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes it is available now

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Poogzley wrote:

That is disappointing... I guess I am better off going with Fizz.ca

@PoogzleyYou need a specific address to sign up, its not open to everyone and these "introductory rates" are only offered until december 19th so speed up if you are going to do it. The current offers will one day be known as the "grand father plans" so you have 9 more days to get in from the ground floor. 

Public mobile has expensive roaming options in comparison if you're a snowbird or travel outside Canada frequently. But for an infrequent traveller the public mobile deal might be better. Fizz will charge you $8 per month more for choosing USA+Canada coverage vs your quebec zone or $6 more from Canada to USA+Canada. That means you pay $72-$96 more per year guarenteed with Fizz. The infrequent traveller may only need to spend $8-20 once a year for a 10 day roaming add-on with Public.

"Why are you offering introductory prices?

Fizz offers you introductory prices to thank you for your patience as we refine our services and work through the last few occasional glitches."

Poogzley

@krazykiwi Within Quebec they use Videotron and Rogers, for the rest of Canada they use Sasktel, Telus, Rogers and Bell. When travelling to the USA they use AT&T as well as T-Mobile as a backup.

@Poogzley wrote:

@krazykiwi Could you elaborate on that? What kinds of issues and limitations were you experiencing?

With Freedom it would not work with iphones but I do believe they have that fixed now. Also whenever we went outside of Freedom'e service area it would need to switch to roaming which would always give a warning and sometimes not work, so we never knew if we were getting charged more or not. Although I believe Fizz is like PM, with no overages, correct me if I am wrong. I couldn't find who they partner with, do you know? Your coverage is only going to be as good as who they partner with.

Poogzley

@krazykiwi Could you elaborate on that? What kinds of issues and limitations were you experiencing?

@Poogzley

Yeah, if calling to the U.S. is something you do often and you are from Quebec than that does look like a good carrier. Personally I am always hesitant when it comes to carriers that use different partners to supply coverage. Freedom does this and there were many issues and limitations when I tried them a couple years ago.

Poogzley

That is disappointing... I guess I am better off going with Fizz.ca

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 5.41.53 PM.png

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Poogzley wrote:

Does the "Special Offer! $50 for 8 GB + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus" plan include USA roaming?Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 11.55.10 AM.png

@PoogzleyNo. It includes talk to US while you are in Canada.

US Roaming is available as a seperate one time purchase as an "add-on" which expires 10 days after purchase.

Need Help? Let's chat.