cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the number expires?

alexir
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I've read SIM cards doesn't expire, but I don't see this very clear.. In the case of not using the SIM for a long period of time, i.e a year, and the SIM card is desactivated after the 90 days, is the number safe for all the time until activated again? Or will be available in the market for other customers?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Wafik
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Do your research but yeah, I don't see how anyone could beat $2 a month.

Holymanm

Oh yes, I should've explained a bit better, sorry!

I'm moving to Spain for about 9 months, and I'm going to just get a new SIM and a new plan with some company over there - but it would be cool to still keep my Canadian # intact for when I get back. I don't need my plan to stay active meanwhile. And I'll just find a plan again, here, when I get back.

So yup, just concerned with keeping my #; so it seems like something like that company I mentioned might be better, no?

Wafik
Ah, my apologies. I had assumed that you wanted to stay with PM. I have not tried those type of services before so maybe try Googling reviews? I would warn that since you would be porting out your number you would be losing whatever plan you currently have with PM if that matters to you at all.

Holymanm

Thanks all!

From a superficial glance, though, this seems a lot better:

https://www.numberbarn.com/pricing

$2 a month, instead of $20 every 85 days - and it says it includes "FREE SMS forward to email" and a free "custom 30 second message" for callers. While the PM every 85 days 'plan' leaves your account inactive approximately two thirds of the time. 

Has anyone tried a 'number parking' service? Is there any reason why it might be too good to be true?

Thanks again!

Wafik

That's the one!  Thanks @Luddite

Wafik

I cannot find the post, but I know I saw a post by @Luddite somewhere about this.

Basically, to answer your question, yes you can, but he recommended doing it every 85 days to avoid any problems.

You can renew a txt only plan if you wish to do this.  The no-plan plan is not a plan.

Holymanm
Hi all,

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but I have a similar question...

So if it takes 90 days for the number to expire - can I just add a $10 plan, for 30 days, every 89 days or so, and my number will still be safe?

(I'm moving abroad for about 9 months, but would like to keep my number...)

Thank you!

alexir

I see...

Thank you NDesai

@alexir wrote:

that means that we can keep the same phone number during years with no using it... correct?

Sorry, i am not understanding your question here. 

Once you activate the sim, you must keep it active. The maximum period you can keep it suspended/unpaid is 90 days. If you don't, you will lose your account, plan and your phone number. The sim will be no longer valid for use. 

I thought you were asking about the unused sim card and sim card number. 

alexir

that means that we can keep the same phone number during years with no using it... correct?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Sim cards do not expire. Sim numbers are different for all sim cards. So, even after a year, you can use the sim card to activate on Public Mobile. Once the sim card is used, it cannot be used again to activate another account. 

Need Help? Let's chat.