cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the $15/month plan offer throttled data after 250MB?

jonahwinters
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was on Freedom $15/month talk/text/data, and after 250MB it was throttled to 256kbps. I moved to Chatr's exact same $15 plan, but with that plan data is classified as "bonus" and there's no throttling, it's simply cut off.

I know that the more expensive Public plans provide throttled data after the maximum has been reached (at 512kbps, I believe?). But what happens after 250 with this plan? https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/15for250MB-3Gspeed

Thanks! 

9 REPLIES 9

Baconify
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

AFAIK none of the plans offered by PM has throttled data after the limit. It just cut right off. You may renew the plan early to reset the limit or wait until the next cycle starts.

Master2001
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jonahwinters

“Data Add-On” never expire, any unused “Data Add-On” will indefinitely roll over to your next cycle.
Data included in you plan will always be use first.
Best is to buy 1GB “Data Add-On” for $30 (You also have choice of 200MB for $10).

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The trade off with the competitors and their throttled data at those price points, is worse usablility in terms of network performance with calls and texting. That is why I came here from freedom mobile my self, one can only hope over time we will get offered higher data buckets for a better price.

@Himanshu1 wrote:

I realized that as soon as you run of the data assigned to you, your data just stops working. Unfortunately, Public Mobile does not throttle data after one exceeds the allocated limit 

I look at it as a good thing...no overage bills to worry about. When you run out of data mid way through your term, you have the option of renewing early or paying $30 for 1GB of add-on data or using something called wifi...for free !

@Himanshu1 wrote:

I realized that as soon as you run of the data assigned to you, your data just stops working. Unfortunately, Public Mobile does not throttle data after one exceeds the allocated limit 

The title is a bit misleading.  The 3G plans offer throttled LTE data.  The data bucket size is as specified, nothing less, nothing more.  Back in the day when I was with Wind, they did referred to the data features as unlimited.  Referring to it as throttled data has negative connotations.  No marketing department would use such negativity.  

Himanshu1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@jonahwinters wrote:

I was on Freedom $15/month talk/text/data, and after 250MB it was throttled to 256kbps. I moved to Chatr's exact same $15 plan, but with that plan data is classified as "bonus" and there's no throttling, it's simply cut off.

I know that the more expensive Public plans provide throttled data after the maximum has been reached (at 512kbps, I believe?). But what happens after 250 with this plan? https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/15for250MB-3Gspeed

Thanks! 

@jonahwinters wrote:

None of Public Mobile plans offer throttled data after the usage amount is surpassed.  Data will simply stop working.  To resume using data, you would need to purchase a data add-on or renew plan early (you would need to ask moderators for this and the full plan amount would be due early as well). The other option would be to perfom and an immediately plan change to a different plan, but doing this would result in you losing the amounts you've already paid and any time remaining on the current plan.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@jonahwinters wrote:

Thanks! 

@jonahwinters On all PM plans once the data has been used up then it just stops working.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@jonahwintersYou just don't get any data. All Public Mobile plans cut you off after you have reached your allotment. You prepay for so xxx amount of data every 30 days.. you get exactly xxx amount of data.

Need Help? Let's chat.