cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does my plan expire?

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi everyone.  After my first month with Public, I'm quite impressed.  

Here is my question...

Will my plan cost increase over time or is it secured?  If they phase out my plan will I still be able to keep it at the original price?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

dna2016

@mimmo I know it happens, I'm just saying compared to TV & Home Internet, where prices are increased every year, you don't see that same yearly price increase on the cell phone side.  Maybe a few specific plans, but not all plans like internet and TV.  But ya I know it happens, just not as frequent.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dna2016  have to slightly disagree I was with virgin and they increased my plan by 5$, and I believe iirc fido increased their 40$ fall promo competing plan by $5, and possibly their 60$ /10gb plans as well. 

dna2016

@DDM69 definitely a great question.  Technically any company can increase the base price of any and every plan.  Just look at your TV and internet services for example.  Unless there's a contract written between you and the provider indicating an agreement that your plan cannot and will not increase, then your plan can change at the companies discretion at anytime.  However, with all that said, for cell phone services this happens very very very rarely.  I've only seen cell phone increases on existing people's cell phone only twice in the span of maybe 15 years.  What I usually see is companies advising that they are expiring certain outdated plans, which PM has done before, usually these are called grandfathered plans.  

So technically there is no secured price unless you've had a written contract on it, however it is a very very rare thing to see a company increase the base price of a plan you are currently on.  It's much more common in the home internet and TV services.

PMFanatic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@DDM69 Welcome to PublicMobile!! As with most mobile contracts, the telecom company has the right to change the price, but your plan should stay the same price over time. This only happens when there is a very good reason to do so...  Smiley Very Happy

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Probably not

That said, there are no guarantees

They tried once before but ppl got angry and they changed their mind when they saw how many ppl said they will leave. Oh and the formal complaint was launched too.

On the good side, you will have option of moving to better deal.

They didn't increase my plan, I'm still on the same really plan, but Notre versions of it keep getting better, they add features or bonuses, so i keep switching. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Public can increase the cost of any plan with 30 day notice. But they are good with letting customers keep grandfathered plans and not increasing the price. 

They increased the prices of legasy plans in order to shut down the call centre, and the tried increasing the price of the fall 2016 plan in 2018 but that failed due to customer uproar.  So basically there is good history that you will keep your plan and price for a long while. 

Need Help? Let's chat.