cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does my data carry over after 30 days with a 90-day plan?

Mansi_G
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Think about it like this; your data is available for the duration of your plan cycle (10/30/90 days). If you purchase a 4GB Data option on a 90-day plan, you will have 90 days to use it. If you’re on a 30-day plan, your data will only last for 30 days and any unused data will not be carried over into the next 30 day period. It’s the same for the 10-day plan; your unused data will expire when your 10 days are complete.

Just so you know, if you purchase an Add-on, it rolls over until it’s all used up.

100 REPLIES 100

Simon4s
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
So on the $40 plan, it is possible to use 11 of 12 gigs on the first month but it is impossible to have 5 or more gigs remaining during any month?

jjbean
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi @ladycandy,

I know this is quite a while after your post, but thought your comment warranted a reply that was more accurate than 7789849803's (honestly, what use is it to talk about a plan that doesn't have talk or text?).

I see you've compared a 6GB 30day plan to a 12GB 90day plan with a 6GB add-on. As I'm not a PM customer yet I can't see the add-on fees, but I'll assume your math is correct and thus also your conclusion that to get 6GB data monthly on a 90day plan would be more expensive than to do so with a 30day plan. 

However, I think this is an unfair comparison as we all know add-ons are expensive and not a realistic way to get data on a consistent basis. I think it would be more fair to compare a 30day to 90day plan that triples evenly. Therefore I compared the 4GB 30day plan to the 12GB 90day plan using your same parameters (canada-wide talk, international texting). The 30day plan came to $82 and the 12GB to $216. If you divide $216 by three to get your monthly equivalency, it's only $72, so you still get a $10/month savings. I'd say that's not bad. 

Anyway, hope you're happy with your service!  Cheers

orangeworx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@srlawren: while what you're saying might be logical, the clarity of it is questionable. The need for this to be obvious is definitely there. In a simple example, if I wanted 1gb per 30, I'd logically want 3gb per 90, while in the 90 day, there isn't that option, closest thing is 4gb... That makes things more "confusing". It seems like the plans weren't well thought... But here's where it's best, PM is beta, so sh.. happens.

That said, one can not but wonder why it's unclear hence the fishiness.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@orangeworx I can see how this is confusing.  In fact, when I was first checking out PM and planning to move my line from Telus over here, I also thought the data buckets were monthly.  We tend to think this way since all the other providers use monthly cycles, and we are conditioned to think that way.  For talk and text, we don't fall into this trap since, if you choose any of those options, they are unlimited minutes/messages, so you don't really have to think about a bucket of available units like we do with data. 

PM does things a bit differently.  You pay for 10, 30, or 90 days, and that becomes your cycle, not a month.  I agree that the current plan selection tool doesn't do a great job of driving this concept home.  However, I don't think that's PM intentionally trying to mislead anyone into underselecting their data buckets and forcing them to buy the expensive add-ons to compensate.  That would ultimately be a VERY short-sighted business plan, as folks would react very poorly to it and just leave after their 90 days are up (since we are never tied to lengthy service contracts).  They actually want you to be happy with what you picked, paid for, and got, and to keep coming back every 90 days for more.  So it would be incredibly self-defeating to intentionally mislead.  That said, there is definitely room for improvement.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
I agree with everything you said

orangeworx
@Rockdaddy22: I'd have probably taken the 4gb/90days plan had I known...

@Luddite: clarification will come when enough folks didn't read the fine print (like me)

@7789849803: I don't think I will cancel my 90 day with 60 left on it... Will just have to run it through and WiFi until next renewal.

Have to admit though, not to be pointing fingers or anything, this seems almost intentional as one would "subconsciously" think whatever's in the 30day be tripled in the 90day...

Oh well! Live and learn.
To whoever was talking about prices being ridiculous here, they are! We're incredibly over charged for data (& everything else really) and it's not because we're a smaller market, top 3 are making ridiculous amounts of money out of literally thin air, brand new the towers get paid for within merely a matter of days... All of this, as mentioned before is price gouging... 3rd world countries have better deals. There's nothing that warrants why we pay so much comparing to our southern counterparts, all the way down south!!!

@orangeworx You may want to check to see if it makes sense for you to renew your plan early. If you're looking at possible heavy internet usage over the next few days/weeks, it may be more cost effective than buying data add-ons (which are pricey).

However, you will not receive any credit for unused time if you renew early.

@orangeworx Yes that clarification has been requested. Smiley Frustrated

Hopefully your home wifi will be up soon to reduce the aggravation. I had the same issue trying to use just my phone for data/tethering and finally gave up and went with start.ca for use at home.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Rockdaddy22
I'm sorry you feel that way, most people grab the 4gb for 3 months I believe.

orangeworx
Have to say I feel a little duped as I've just switched to the 90 day (first month done and had burnt through my 1gb due to internet down at home. I did think it was a gig per 30 day of the 90 day plan... It does seem kind of bizarre that it isn't. Now am stuck with 60 days of no data unless I buy addons ... Hence my feeling, believe it should be "clearer"

emilyge0rgia

wind won't be cheap anymore when they have to pay for access to towers

there's a reason why theyre so cheap, it's because the service isnt that great.

with PM, there are no roaming charges in Canada, but with wind, everyone i know using wind always has roaming charges because so many areas are 'partner' networks which makes it look like its covered by wind's network but it isnt.

plus, both of my phones that i have (atrix 4g works perfectly fine with PM, waiting to unlock iphone 5) wont work with wind. iphone 5 aint that old lmao

i work for one of the big 3 and will probably stick with PM even though my employee discount is starting in a month. 90 for 90 days is ridiculously cheap

i use my data constantly tethering 2 devices when im out and still only used 450mb in 2 months. my company doesnt have any data plans less than 500mb for a month and its still nearly 40 with the discount. no clue how one uses more than 4gb in a month (12 per 90 days) lmao

ladycandy

Wow. Where do I even begin to point out all the flaws in this analysis? I have to try, though. Here goes...

(1) The 6GB 30 day plan costs $80 and not $102.

(2) 4GB 90 day plan costs $75 and not $216.

(3) 90 day plans are NOT monthly. If you buy 4GB data as part of a 90 day plan, you get to use 4GB over 90 days and not 12GB.

(4) All data sessions are rounded industry wide. In fact not just for data consumption, but for absolutely ANYTHING there has to be a minimum unit of any commodity you measure. Whether it's a grain of salt or camels, there are always minimum units that are not divisible. Now, whether these data sessions are rounded by the 10 kb or 1 kb is what you're likely protesting, and you're welcome to do so. Personally, I don't see how it makes much of a difference at all. How many separate data sessions would you have on a given day anyway, for the extra kbs to add up to anything? But if you want to complain that you're getting 0.5% less data than you deserve as a result of this rounding, you're welcome to create noise about that. It's hardly illegal or even unethical though, and calling it such just calls your motives into question.

(5) You're not under any compulsion to buy PM service. If you think it's overpriced or the pricing structure is not to your liking for whatever reason, please don't sign up! This community is composed of thousands of PM users (myself included), some of whom have been with the company happily for years.

Well from what I picked I got 102.

Plan Length: 30 Days - Unlimited Talk: Canada Wide - Unlimited Text3: International - Data4: 6GB - $117 Plan Costs - $15 Discount = $102 Total (+ tax)

Rockdaddy22
I switched from Fido and I'm extremely happy with PM's service. I'd consider Wind if they had service in my area.

ladycandy
Oh and right now I'm with Fido waiting for my PM Sim. If wind was in my area I'd switch in a heartbeat to wind. And I guess thats why the big 3 refused to allow Wind to use their or should i say Our towers. Because they know Wind hurt their bottom line.

Well im sorry Rebelus when wind is Canada wide you can say good bye to 75-90 % of your consumers.

Rockdaddy22
Lol

ladycandy

What gets me is that why does Wind have to wait to buy towers across Canada?  The towers are not owned by the big 3. The towers are owned by all who paid the False/Misleading/Deceptive Advertising of the SAF/GRRF that users paid when the big 3 was charging the SAF System Access Fee. And the big 3 said that it was a manatory fee that the government Charged and finally the government said wait a minute this fee was never going to the government. Then guess who had to pay the fee for the big 3 to recover from when the goverment slamed a fee on them to pay up? The users again by the big 3 charging the GRRF Government Regulatory Recovery. So technically I say as a person who owns the towers to Telus give Wind Mobile Full Unrestricted access to all your towers Canada wide for free.

We may pay more, no doubt.

But, look at Canada, size, and we the Public ppl populating it. Loot at US, and pop size. Hense, we'll have to live with price difference a bit here and there.

Unlike, um, Tarzhay that promised the world and all we got was a plastic bag saying, Hi Canada, my name is Target, and I have awesome deals for you.

Rockdaddy22
I don't think anyone's saying Canada doesn't have terrible data rates.

ladycandy

Well if you think of it. Just this site alone browsing i used up 22MB using opera browser with data savings turned on and with Onavo data saver turned on with images set to low.

You dont use data that much because we as Canadians are geting Price gouged

"gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent "

Its been proven that we pay more. And thats why the carriers say that we dont use that much data.

If we where not priced gouged then we would be using more.

And this was the main reason why Wind Mobile came out then Public Mobile (Then telus buys it and f's it up) and Mobilicity.

Why do you think most apps are made to use Internet? Its because humans outside of canada can afford data because they are not gouged.

3GB Data right now with wind is 10.00 for 3 GB with PM your paying 90.00 at 30 x 3

I never had any issues with my data so far. I am very proactive in my data consumption, hense why telecommunications arts is a specialty. Every now and then, maybe a spicy databall might show and interfere, that happens occasionally, but nothing that Dr. @Jeremy_M can't cure

Rockdaddy22
I figure they have 6GB for 30 days why not 18GB for 90 days. I'm happy with 4GB for 90 days 🙂

18 gigs for 90 days? Hmmmmmmm.

If under 150 day term, perhaps. 2.5 gigs per 30 day I believe is perfect for me, or 3 gigs at least

@ladycandy wrote:

Ha Telus gotta love how you are trying to pull a fast one on users who you make them believe they are geting a better deal on the 90 days.

Now let me break it down.

30 day plan 6GB x3 to = 90 days  so $102×3 = 306 for 18GB

90 day plan is 4GB/mth=12GB which is  $216  so if you wanted 6GB per month on the 90 days it would cost 60/month extra × 3 = $180 so $180+$216 = $396.

Now let's go back to the 30 day for 3 months at $306.

306 for the 30 days x 3
Or
396 for 90days with 6 extra GB at 30 each GB

So $396-$306=90

So that makes the 30 day plan $90 cheaper over 90 days if you wanted 6gb per month

Also nice try telus on rounding up the date to the nearest 10KB I'll be sure to contact Industry Canada and the CRTC about this. As i don't see how you can pick pocket us for not using the full KB. May even be a Class action (Legal Case) in regards to the data round up.

Wow. Where do I even begin to point out all the flaws in this analysis? I have to try, though. Here goes...

(1) The 6GB 30 day plan costs $80 and not $102.

(2) 4GB 90 day plan costs $75 and not $216.

(3) 90 day plans are NOT monthly. If you buy 4GB data as part of a 90 day plan, you get to use 4GB over 90 days and not 12GB.

(4) All data sessions are rounded industry wide. In fact not just for data consumption, but for absolutely ANYTHING there has to be a minimum unit of any commodity you measure. Whether it's a grain of salt or camels, there are always minimum units that are not divisible. Now, whether these data sessions are rounded by the 10 kb or 1 kb is what you're likely protesting, and you're welcome to do so. Personally, I don't see how it makes much of a difference at all. How many separate data sessions would you have on a given day anyway, for the extra kbs to add up to anything? But if you want to complain that you're getting 0.5% less data than you deserve as a result of this rounding, you're welcome to create noise about that. It's hardly illegal or even unethical though, and calling it such just calls your motives into question.

(5) You're not under any compulsion to buy PM service. If you think it's overpriced or the pricing structure is not to your liking for whatever reason, please don't sign up! This community is composed of thousands of PM users (myself included), some of whom have been with the company happily for years.

@ladycandy Correct math. There are other anomalies as well, so everyone needs to review their needs carefully when choosing 90 vs 30 day plans. I personally do not find this sort of anomaly annoying. I expect it is unintentional, but even if planned is still a non issue as no one is required to move to 90 days, but simply means PM prefers heavy voice/text users over data gluttons. Folks needing unlimited mobile data just need to search out their best deal.

I still maintain that the autopay 90 day calling/text/1GB plan is unmatched value across Canada.

You might like to look at: 90 Day Plan Savings

EDIT Dec 10 for @7789849803 just to support ladycandy's math.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Rockdaddy22
I guess if you need that much data maybe PM isn't for you. I guess I don't disagree, they should offer 18GB on a 90 day plan.

ladycandy

It is only cheper because you get less gb per month in the 90 day plan. If you want the same gb per month that you get with the 30 day plan then it isnt cheaper once you add those extra gb. The 90 day plan ends up being $90 more expensive

Regular rate plan data doesn't roll, only add-on data does, regardless of duration, 90, 30 or even 10 days. Regardless, 90 days is still preferable, more fun. I have 6 gigs in plan, and 6 gigs and 2 mb add-on ready on standby.

Rockdaddy22
I don't know what you're talking about. All I know is I get a better deal on the 90 day plan, pretty simple.

ladycandy

Ha Telus gotta love how you are trying to pull a fast one on users who you make them believe they are geting a better deal on the 90 days.

Now let me break it down.

30 day plan 6GB x3 to = 90 days  so $102×3 = 306 for 18GB

90 day plan is 4GB/mth=12GB which is  $216  so if you wanted 6GB per month on the 90 days it would cost 60/month extra × 3 = $180 so $180+$216 = $396.

Now let's go back to the 30 day for 3 months at $306.

306 for the 30 days x 3
Or
396 for 90days with 6 extra GB at 30 each GB

So $396-$306=90

So that makes the 30 day plan $90 cheaper over 90 days if you wanted 6gb per month

Also nice try telus on rounding up the data to the nearest 10KB I'll be sure to contact Industry Canada and the CRTC about this. As i don't see how you can pick pocket us for not using the full KB. May even be a Class action (Legal Case) in regards to the data round up.

srlawren

@Rockdaddy22 @7789849803 @manil_c yes, that's correct.  When your second 90 days starts, your new 1GB plan allotment kicks in until it is used up or your 90 days end, whichever happens first.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.