cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does having a 3G plan effect call quality?

Hello, I have been with PM for over a year now. My first plan included 4G but I switched to 3G approx 6 months ago. Sometime after I switched to 3G I noticed I would get voicemails but have no missed calls (while in full cell service areas). Is this because I am using 3G now, or does 3G/4G/LTE etc only effect internet/data speeds? 

Additionally, around this time I also stopped receiving emails from people I used to receive emails from (and they were not in my junk box), apps both standard to the phone like “camera” and downloaded apps started closing mid use. Could these faults be caused by 3G vs 4G/LTE too?

or maybe I just have an magnetic  and electric personality! 

Tags (5)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Does having a 3G plan effect call quality?

@deannehall Calls use 3G. Even with the 4G plans. you only notice the difference with the data speed. Call quality on the 3G network has been rock solid and it sounds just like any other phone call. The 3G network and Public Mobile has nothing to do with your phone. The camera app and those emails don't have anything to do with Public. It could be a problem with your phone or a problem unrelated to Public Mobile.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! Not in my experience! I've enjoyed 3G for almost a year with no problems. But I've also never had 4G with PM.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Calls use 3G.  Data uses Bell and Telus towers which are 4G but PM throttles speeds to 3G.  For everyday use 3G is fine.  Unless you stream 4K video or high quality music then it may make a difference in terms of buffering.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@deannehall Calls use 3G. Even with the 4G plans. you only notice the difference with the data speed. Call quality on the 3G network has been rock solid and it sounds just like any other phone call. The 3G network and Public Mobile has nothing to do with your phone. The camera app and those emails don't have anything to do with Public. It could be a problem with your phone or a problem unrelated to Public Mobile.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@deannehall 

I just keep my phone settings to automatic for data.  Let my phone decide what to use.  Normally, no issues with phone quality.  As stated above, PM uses 3G for voice calls, so the phone automatically uses that speed for phone calls.  

Email applications uses data.  Are you having issues with browsing and other apps with data use?  

Also, which model phone do you have?  Some phones don't have the ideal bands to use with Public mobile which may be a factor.  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@deannehall I am on 3G plan for 7 month already and had no issues with call quality. Except 'all circuits are busy' several times, all calls are clear and without any noise, and I receive voice messages only if I didn't pick up the phone. Can you try to use this sim in another phone to see whether or not the issue with the device?

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. I have not found any issues with PMs 3G service. PM uses Telus towers so the reliability is the same as Telus.  I have a samsung S9. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@deannehall 

Your calling issues (going to voicemail) are most likely due to a poor connection to the network. When this happens or make it a once a month habit (after renewal perhaps) turn airplane mode on. Wait 5 min. Turn airplane mode off. This completely disconnects your phone from the network. It then re-establishes a new connection to the network. This should fix any calling issues you might experience.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It may also be location dependant. When I was going to the office I worked in a high rise building. If my phone was on my desk on the right side of my computer I could get calls. If it was on the left side, it was straight to voicemail.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@deannehall  Regardless if you are on a LTE or the current 3G plans calls will always use the PM 3G network. It's best to have your device set to select automatically the network. If you device is set to manually select the 3G network then change it back to automatic.

Need Help? Let's chat.