cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does either add on work to call the British Virgin Islands?

palomah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi- I'm from the British Virgin Islands and now live in Ontario.  I switched to Public Mobile recently and am hoping to be able to use one of the add ons to call my father, who is still in the BVI.

I tried adding the US talk since one community board post said that the BVI was included in this along with the USVI.  

No luck....  Does anyone know if the international plan may work?  Would be handy to know before I pay for it!

Thanks in advance

15 REPLIES 15

I find that Google Hangouts Dialer offers the best clarity and quality as far as calls go. I guess @palomah can test and decide. In some cases cheapest is not there best optio

@Jb456  The BVI landline rate is 0.16. the rate of 0.23 is for a mobile phone number and the word from is not included in any of Google's rates.

@geopublic more expensive 23 cents USD a minute on hangouts.

Screenshot_20200928_012917.jpg

@palomah  you can also use Google Hangouts dialer apo to make calls to the information BVI.

palomah

Oh my gosh AMAZING!  Thank you

How about Skype?

@palomah . If you get TEXTNOW. You get a Canada number in your area.  It allows you to make calls to Canada USA numbers for free all over wifi or data. 

Some other countries free or very cheap rates.

The great thing that textnow offers compared to other apps like WhatsApp ,etc. Is that both parties do not need the app on their phones. Only you need it.

I just checked 6 cents USD a minute to British Virgin islands. 

Screenshot_20200927_190129.jpg

Ipad, or laptop.

Lol. I have a 94 year old MIL that has an iPhone and iPad. She is always using it and screws it up every now and then....but I can always fix. 

Perhaps a smartphone with just one app on the home screen?

palomah

Thanks!  Do you know if you need a smartphone for these?  My dad's 84 and refuses to use a smartphone.  Everyone else I just speak to over Whatsapp.  SO annoying!

palomah

Ha!  This is why it's only my dad I need long distance for.  He's 84 and can't wrap his head around a smartphone.  Literally everyone else I talk to via Whatsapp!

Or both get iPhones 4s or up and use FaceTime audio. 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@palomah Simplest solution is to install Fongo or TextNow on your dad's phone and call over wifi.

It looks like voip,ms can call British Virgin Islands for 1/2 cent a minute. Subscribe, pay in US dollars, get a number, use Zoiper and you are in business. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@palomah Although they are considered a British Overseas Territory and the people are British citizens, according to Wikipedia, it in not a part of the UK so I would say they are not covered in the long distance add on.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could purchase a long distance calling card or use Wi-Fi apps like WhatsApp, Textnow, Skype or Fongo.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@palomah wrote:

Hi- I'm from the British Virgin Islands and now live in Ontario.  I switched to Public Mobile recently and am hoping to be able to use one of the add ons to call my father, who is still in the BVI.

I tried adding the US talk since one community board post said that the BVI was included in this along with the USVI.  

No luck....  Does anyone know if the international plan may work?  Would be handy to know before I pay for it!

Thanks in advance

These are the countries for the international add on:

Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

Need Help? Let's chat.