cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does checking voicemail use minutes?

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey, If I check my voicemail does it use up minutes? Thanks!

29 REPLIES 29

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@Dboxtv4- So you resurrect an old thread and get some suggestions. Then you make another thread and choose a reply as the solution but then go on to give the detailed instructions on how to use the extended absence method that was a suggested idea in the old thread but not the chosen solution here. I know I'm confused.

Maybe an oracle can shuffle things around and apply a valid solution that you seemed to prefer.

@Dboxtv4 You can replace the zeros with any Canadian 10-digit phone number. Ie *004*3063370005#

And to go back to Public Mobile voicemail service dial ##004#

Dboxtv4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

do we replace 0 with a number or just kep 0000000 and what is the reset number to go back

@Dboxtv4 if you dialled *004*0000000000# then dial ##004# to undo it.

Try the voicemail extended absence greeting I mentioned above instead.

Dboxtv4

actually when phone is off then it rings occupied but when phone is on it rings over and over and over then suddenly gets occupied signal 

what is code to switch back

Dboxtv4

this os the 1 yes but what is code to add back

HI @Dboxtv4   there is really no option to disable voicemail

Some people use the trick to route the call to a number that does not exist:

dial: *004*8080000000#
This calls will ring forever and won't to go voicemail

Dboxtv4

when we do this the phone is pff then itseemsthe phone is not active so we need phone on 24 hours or someone will think they dialed wrong phone---i had bettter before it would just not have option to leave message even when phone is off without seeming like the phone does not exist

@Dboxtv4 wrote:

what is the number to dia to have no voicemail option

i mean absolutely no voicemail needed

The "best" way to disable voicemail, is to configure your voicemail with an "extended absense greeting", enable it, and then you can set an option to prevent people from leaving messages. This allows you to play your own greeting that tells people that you are not accepting messages and to try again later, or send a text, for example.

This process is described at this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highlight...

Another "simpler" way is to just configure all the conditional call forwards that would normally direct unanswered calls to voicemail, to a dead-end number like 0000000000 - which will just result in an error message, fast busy, or endless ring for the caller if you don't answer. You can configure this by dialing:

*004*0000000000#

and undo it/reset back to public mobile voicemail by dialing:

##004#

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@Dboxtv4- There is the Extended Absence option where additionally you can not allow recordings to be left. But as this old thread mentioned, the $5 500 minute add-on is great for this plan.

Dboxtv4

what is the number to dia to have no voicemail option

i mean absolutely no voicemail needed

Dboxtv4

yes voicemail minutes are used when using check maiil from your phone this is a fact i know i have no minutes so i cannot verify mesage 

sabinefernando9

nice ill try that

With a free YouMail account, voicemails will be emailed to you as attached sound files. 15 free transcriptions to text in the email per month as well. Dont even need to install the app. No need to call into voicemail anymore.

The conditional call forward configuration changes work with Public Mobile -- I use it myself!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sabinefernando9 

Use a different phone or use a voip app like TextNow. No minutes.

And get the $5 calling add-on. A terrific value.

@sabinefernando9 wrote:

yes, i haven't called anyone much but received few voicemails. When i accessed them my munites were going.. Its very dissapointing to see that minutes would go for ur own self service that u pay every month, say 15$ in my case + taxes. Very poor decision from Public mobile to make voicemails as equal as outgoing calls. I just swtiched from Fido 2 weeks back and see this on my usage page?! I don't understand the logic 😒

All carriers consider checking your voicemail from that phone as a regular outgoing call. 

sabinefernando9

yes, i haven't called anyone much but received few voicemails. When i accessed them my munites were going.. Its very dissapointing to see that minutes would go for ur own self service that u pay every month, say 15$ in my case + taxes. Very poor decision from Public mobile to make voicemails as equal as outgoing calls. I just swtiched from Fido 2 weeks back and see this on my usage page?! I don't understand the logic 😒

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Looks like they changed the way things worked. Or my account is broken. This is what I have found from my testing.

When you call me and I ignore you, 0 minutes used

When I call 611 it does not cost minutes

When you call me and I ignore you and you leave me voicemail usage history says I called 7057804001 and displays the time you were connected to my voicemail (but its free and does not count against 50 minutes- 0 minutes used)

When i call voicemail to listen to your message from my phone it costs minutes (displays instantly on plan details) but does not display ever in usage history

When I call voicemail and even just listen to the menu with no voicemail it costs minutes (displays instantly on plan details) but does not display ever in usage history.

Well done with the testing.  I'm saving this for future reference.

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I gotta brush up on my communication skills 🙂

Having a call that dialed your number that goes to your voicemail costs minutes.

Calling your voicemail from your cellphone running Public Mobile will cost you minutes.

Calling your number from your cellphone running Public Mobile will cost you minutes. 

If you can find the voicemail number that the default speed dial #1 goes to and call it from another phone then you would not cost minutes.

Ok thats a little more clear thanks, so even if my phone is turned off and someone calls me and leaves voicemail it uses my minutes?

So if someone bum dials my voicemail, while my phone is off and leaves me a long message I will have 0 minutes left?

Yes. And yes. (assuming you have the $10 plan of course...otherwise why would you be asking)

Does bum dialing still happen?

I seem to recall some tricks mentioned around here to effectively turn voicemail off but I think even just that dialed call costs minute(s).

Edit: This is the recent one I remembered.

Looks like they changed the way things worked. Or my account is broken. This is what I have found from my testing.

When you call me and I ignore you and you leave me voicemail usage history says I called 7057804001 and displays the time you were connected to my voicemail (but its free and does not count against 50 minutes- 0 minutes used)

When i call voicemail to listen to your message from my phone it costs minutes (displays instantly on plan details) but does not display ever in usage history

When I call voicemail and even just listen to the menu with no voicemail it costs minutes (displays instantly on plan details) but does not display ever in usage history.

Wow, you did an exhaustive test.  Can't argue with fact.  If this is how the system logs or does not log minutes, never mind what the pundit say.

@dna2016 wrote:

Hi @Dunkgirl

Just as @stonechucker mentioned, if you gotta go through all this science because of  voicemails, maybe the $10 plan isn't the right choice.  Highly recommend getting the $25 unlimited talk plan, so now you have no worries, no stress, no panic attacks, no yelling at the other person for leaving you a long message.  Plus you can get your monthly cost reduced by getting community rewards, and referral bonuses, plus auto pay credit.  Might not take it entirely down to $10 but you can get real close.  Or you can go on a 90 day plan and build up your community credits over 3 months.  For example, I'm on a 90 day auto pay, so in the last three months I had built up $22 in community rewards, $6 off for auto pay credit, $6 in referral, and $3 for loyalty.  If I was on the $25 90 day plan then my next bill would be $42.94 (taxes included), which is technically $14.31/month.  Pretty inexpensive and unlimited use, with no voicemail concerns Smiley LOL

Just saying there are ways to bring your bill down quite a bit just pay taking part.  But if this is for someone who is an elderly, all of the above may not be reasonable, lol.

People on the $10 plan are not heavy users and so it would be economical to buy an add-on for extra minutes rather than paying $15 more each month. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Well it looks like you've figured it all out with real observation. I was going by what I understood here from other threads and provided information.

I knew about 611 but you weren't asking about that. And the first ignore is news to me as somewhere here it says that the mere fact of someone calling your number should take the minimum minute. But you've observed otherwise. So all good.

I'm moving to the $10 plan this week so we'll see how it works for my usage.

dna2016

Hi @Dunkgirl

Just as @stonechucker mentioned, if you gotta go through all this science because of  voicemails, maybe the $10 plan isn't the right choice.  Highly recommend getting the $25 unlimited talk plan, so now you have no worries, no stress, no panic attacks, no yelling at the other person for leaving you a long message.  Plus you can get your monthly cost reduced by getting community rewards, and referral bonuses, plus auto pay credit.  Might not take it entirely down to $10 but you can get real close.  Or you can go on a 90 day plan and build up your community credits over 3 months.  For example, I'm on a 90 day auto pay, so in the last three months I had built up $22 in community rewards, $6 off for auto pay credit, $6 in referral, and $3 for loyalty.  If I was on the $25 90 day plan then my next bill would be $42.94 (taxes included), which is technically $14.31/month.  Pretty inexpensive and unlimited use, with no voicemail concerns Smiley LOL

Just saying there are ways to bring your bill down quite a bit just pay taking part.  But if this is for someone who is an elderly, all of the above may not be reasonable, lol.

The quick answer is if you're on the $10 50 minutes talk and 50 outgoing SMS/MMS messages package, YES, forwarding calls to voicemail (or any other number), and calling into voicemail from your phone will be usage charged calls.

To help with this, the 200 and 400 minute LD add-ons can be used to extend your calling minutes, but outgoing txts will stop at 50.

If you're consistently running out of minutes and txts, the best option may be to upgrade to the $25 plan.

Dunkgirl

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Having a call that dialed your number that goes to your voicemail costs minutes.

Calling your voicemail from your cellphone running Public Mobile will cost you minutes.

Calling your number from your cellphone running Public Mobile will cost you minutes. 

If you can find the voicemail number that the default speed dial #1 goes to and call it from another phone then you would not cost minutes.

Ok thats a little more clear thanks, so even if my phone is turned off and someone calls me and leaves voicemail it uses my minutes?

So if someone bum dials my voicemail, while my phone is off and leaves me a long message I will have 0 minutes left?

Yes. And yes. (assuming you have the $10 plan of course...otherwise why would you be asking)

I seem to recall some tricks mentioned around here to effectively turn voicemail off but I think even just that dialed call costs minute(s).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

(edit: no) Yes. And (edit: no) yes. (assuming you have the $10 plan of course...otherwise why would you be asking)

Dunkgirl

@Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Yes. Even if you call your number to get there. If you call the voicemail number directly however and get into your mailbox then you're golden.

Ok so if someone calls me and I don't answer and leaves voicemail it costs me minutes but if I call my mail box directly its free?

So doing myself is free, but if other people do it I have to pay minutes

Having a call that dialed your number that goes to your voicemail (edit: does not) cost minutes.

Dunkgirl

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Yes. Even if you call your number to get there. If you call the voicemail number directly however and get into your mailbox then you're golden.

Ok so if someone calls me and I don't answer and leaves voicemail it costs me minutes but if I call my mail box directly its free?

So doing myself is free, but if other people do it I have to pay minutes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Yes. Even if you call your number to get there. If you call the voicemail number directly (edit: from another phone) however and get into your mailbox then you're golden.

Need Help? Let's chat.