cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Public Mobile offer slowed-down internet after consumption of data allowance?

mak806
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I found the following feature offered by Public Mobile competitors:

"Unlimited additional data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data."

Does Public Mobile offer something similar?

13 REPLIES 13

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@tehowennathe wrote:

PM should start offering slowed down data like Lucky and Chatr. The one thing that keeps me with PM is their rewards to lower cost and their Canada US plan. I visit family in US so that plan is needed. If PM didn't have Canada US plan and I didn't travel often to US I'd probably be with the competition.

Yeah, I've been considering a move as well for this unlimited throttled data... 

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

PM should start offering slowed down data like Lucky and Chatr. The one thing that keeps me with PM is their rewards to lower cost and their Canada US plan. I visit family in US so that plan is needed. If PM didn't have Canada US plan and I didn't travel often to US I'd probably be with the competition.

Refreshing your Plan could buy 1GB Data for $25, could buy 8GB Data for $60, etc.

So it's foolish for people to keep buying Add-ons at $30 per GB. And it's foolish to expect people will do it if they have better options.

Many people have been forcing Plans to renew for as long as I've been here - for years - or so they've repeatedly commented (and advised) on the PM Community forum.  PM may have some official policy to discourage this practice but they've passively allowed and ignored and tolerated it which effectively means they've implicitly validated it. Maybe PM has decided it's time to impose or enforce or change the rules but I'm betting that taking options away from the customers will take customers away from the business. 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Nope... I really think PM should do this to keep in line with Lucky's increasingly appealing offer...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous  just heard back from Alan.

Sorry for causing some unneeded angst.  But it it did provide a good conversation. And the reply below will be good to have if others do run into this situation. 

Thanks for sharing this @mimmo . I can confirm we do indeed provide early renewal to customers and that was why this option was built into the form (to make it faster and easier to submit this request). 

I will make sure your request gets processed and have a word with the team about this issue.

Thanks for the update. I shake my head at mods sometimes for their incorrect assertions. Even when challenged on it they will stand on it without checking and verifying their "facts". I know, they're fellow humans and all but still. How many customers get turned down on requests when a mod answers saying they can't do that? Whatever the issue.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous  just heard back from Alan.

Sorry for causing some unneeded angst.  But it it did provide a good conversation. And the reply below will be good to have if others do run into this situation. 

Thanks for sharing this @mimmo . I can confirm we do indeed provide early renewal to customers and that was why this option was built into the form (to make it faster and easier to submit this request). 

I will make sure your request gets processed and have a word with the team about this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous    I'm just reporting what i was told.  I have asked alan for clarification  in the oracle section, and as mentioned still trying trying to get a straignt answer from the mod in question (we ar eon message 4)   and i did say to them that early renewals have been a common occurance since at least 2016.

also if you ask SIMon about early renewals it doens't give you an option about renewing early, just buying data addon or using wifi, and the get help section  also doesn't mention it either. 

Please do get clarification from Alan_K. Ok sure maybe there's no official allowance for it, but as you said, it has been going on for quite some time.

So then if it's a new directive/assertion on their part, it would be nice to say something openly. Like...sorry folks, but early-renewals are no longer available. Say it openly.

Somebody (Mary maybe or Shazia) did say something about no longer being able to port PM to PM.

Who is the senior expert in charge mod now anyway after the departure of those two?

mimmo

@Anonymous    I'm just reporting what i was told.  I have asked alan for clarification  in the oracle section, and as mentioned still trying trying to get a straignt answer from the mod in question (we ar eon message 4)   and i did say to them that early renewals have been a common occurance since at least 2016.

also if you ask SIMon about early renewals it doens't give you an option about renewing early, just buying data addon or using wifi, and the get help section  also doesn't mention it either. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@popping , @Anonymous  I about four messages back and forth with the mods asking for clarification.  No nothing has been announced anywhere, and its news to me as well 

the last messgage I received was:

Hi there!

Please note that an early renewal is not something we have ever offered, if any of my colleagues have done this please provide me with their name as an escalation is required to correct their inappropriate behavior.

Best advised for extra data until the end of the cycle is to consult our Add-on section.

Was that from a senior experienced mod? Or Alan_K? Seems to me early renewals have been happening as long as I've been here. If it's a new directive ok. But to say "ever offered" is not correct. Which leads to uncertainty as to the overall information provided.

mimmo

@popping , @Anonymous  I about four messages back and forth with the mods asking for clarification.  No nothing has been announced anywhere, and its news to me as well 

the last messgage I received was:

Hi there!

Please note that an early renewal is not something we have ever offered, if any of my colleagues have done this please provide me with their name as an escalation is required to correct their inappropriate behavior.

Best advised for extra data until the end of the cycle is to consult our Add-on section.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@mak806 no it does not, and it seems that they are no longer letting people do early renewals of the same plan when people run ouut of data.

Not even waiting for 2 days with moderator help?

Yeah that's new news to me too. mimmo: When did this happen? Was there an annoucement? Was it only provided to Oracles?

popping

@mimmo wrote:

@mak806 no it does not, and it seems that they are no longer letting people do early renewals of the same plan when people run ouut of data.

Not even waiting for 2 days with moderator help?

mimmo

Need Help? Let's chat.