cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Public Mobile cap Data once your monthly limit is reached?

jshop26
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am planning to get Public Mobile's $15 with Bonus 250 MB Data⁴ at 3G speed with AutoPay. I don't plan to use data much or at all, but maybe occasionally just order a Uber ride once or twice a month, or maybe accidentally use data. If I go over 250MB in monthly usage, does Public Mobile automatically stop data in order not to overcharge you without knowing? 

Basically, does Public Mobile cap data once you reach the limit?

I heard one of Public, Chartr, Lucky, or Freedom does. I am not sure which.

Freedom also has the exact same plan/data/cost which I am considering. I am planning to use mostly just in GTA. I heard their connections improved in the past year. 

+ When do you think next good promos for the basic plans are?

13 REPLIES 13

Kim1971kim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes! 🙂

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Public Mobile has a fixed data cap of whatever you purchase because it is prepaid you can however get your plan renewed early if you wish losing previous extra minutes, data, etc.

I don't think Freedom has any rewards like Public Mobile. If you want a cheaper bill I'd go with Public Mobile.

• Autopay saves $2/30 days
  • Loyalty after a year saves $1/30 days
  • Contributor can save up to $20/30 days
  • Referrals saves $1/30days for each active user

Hope this helps

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@jshop26

Thank you for reaching out. 

The answer to your question is YES. Once the amount of data included with a plan is used up the data stops and you cannot have any overages since all services are prepaid. 

To answer your question about the promos, the "Flash Sales" usually take place during the weekend Saturday - Sunday but we never know ahead of time. Since we haven't had one for a couple of weeks now,  my guess is that one will be coming up shortly. Just keep an eye out on our website. 

Regards,

Public Mobile Moderator Team

jluong9
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes lol

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Unfortunately, data stops once allotment is used up.  I remain hopeful that there will be some form of augmented data in the future.  Crystal ball is not so clear right now, but the pressure is on to match the competition.  Bell just released quarterly numbers and the prepaid performance was very good which is testimony to great things happening over at Lucky Mobile. 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

One more thing.

Public has this data add-on that at the first glance doesn't look like a greatest price. It's $30 for 1g

But if you are really using just a bit more than your allowance it may take you really really far, it could last almost two years if you are going less than 50m per month. That's lots of savings if you don't have to upgrade. And not so long ago public gave it to all customers who had active account as a gift. And that is not the first time they handed it out, once there was an issue with data and all affected accounts received the add-on that doesn't expire. 

I suspect since public is not jumping on that unlimited throttled data boat with everybody else, they will most likely be doing something like that instead, to give incentive not to switch to lucky or chatr. I honestly believe if they made the 1g add-on cheap people would buy it like candies

Its prepaid, everything will stop if what you paid before service is used.  it is very convenience.   especially to those who had overage surprise before.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I expect to rain promos this season we had couple of them.

To be honest they are often for higher plans but not always.

Sometimes they have free sim for any plan, those are often store promos not even listed here.

They have a great 25 referral promo that many of us are waiting for.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Once you reach your data limit then it stops.  Either you would have to purchase an add-on for more data or wait until your renewal date.

@jshop26  you could check with Walmart to see if they will give you a free Sim card to activate there and get the 15$ plan and use a refferal code to get a 10$ credit on your account and also set up autopay so your next month will cost you 1$ and after that it will be 13$ a month 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@jshop26If you have a phone that has Band 66 and 71.. the coverage of Freedom has improved greatly.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, data is capped when you reach your limit. You then have the option to add more data with add ons. This is a nice perk. There should be some good promos available during Black Friday week. Check then.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@jshop26 hi once you use your 250mb your data stops you will not be charged any extraSmiley Happy hard to say when the next promo will be 

Need Help? Let's chat.